X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrChaos
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by PugPower

TOU-DR-P has super off peak pricing during March and April from 10AM to 2PM when your PV is producing the most.This translates to a $0.11 difference between on and off-peak pricing during those months. Also SDGE currently promotes RYU potential times are from noon to 9 PM, but no more than 4 hours. The RYU is like a audible the POCO can call whenever it likes. IMO it's too much of an unknown.
    RYU doesn't mean they will turn off your power necessarily, and everytime I experienced it, they gave a day notice by email or text. And I think it is only 2 to 6 pm. They advertise definitely 2.to 6pm on their website https://www.sdge.com/whenmatters and don't say it could be some other time. It's predictable enough for me and really rare---the otherwise 1c increase from off-peak to on-peak, plus lower super-off-peak for EV is very much worth it to me.

Commerical/industrial power users may have a less time-predictable high-demand rate but that's separate from RYU I think.

Comment

• PugPower
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2019

I find this very interesting. I never considered the TOU-DR-P plan because of the RYU days. I will have to research this more.

Why are there so many SDGE plans? Why is it so complicated? I feel like this is some sick game that SDGE is playing with it's customers. Trying to confuse them with all this nonsense.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Why are there so many SDGE plans? Why is it so complicated? I feel like this is some sick game that SDGE is playing with it's customers. Trying to confuse them with all this nonsense.
        Take a look at SCE or PG & E. It is no different. Part of the blame lies with the CPUC. However we are in a transition as more and more residential solar gets built. I once heard a CPUC commissioner say that they can predict the solar production from large solar farms but residential solar only shows up as reduced demand or load from residential users. Add to that the state Renewable Portfolio Standards and the 2020 Net Zero energy construction standards and it will continue to be a period of disruption for the Independently Owned Utilities in California.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• DrChaos
          • Nov 2017

I find this very interesting. I never considered the TOU-DR-P plan because of the RYU days. I will have to research this more.

One thing that's generally true: if they heavily advertise a rate plan then it's probably not in your favor. Like they push TOU-DR1 which has a higher on-peak penalty than TOU-DR (no 1 no 2 no nothing). And TOU-DR-P you have to figure out on your own the rules somewhere from TOU-DR for the utility infrastructure cost plus EECC rate sheets for the energy cost.

There's one rate plan that is great if you have an EV and no solar (EV-TOU-5).

Comment

Working...