X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya you basically have enough panels to max out that inverter. I'd say if they were all same tilt azimuth ect you might hit the max output for the inverter but usually clipping only occurs If you have substantially more DC output than the inverter can produce ac. Like I'm definitely going to have clipping bc I have slightly over 20kw worth of panels, all panels same tilt, plane ect and only 15.4 kw worth of inverters. I'm actually kicking around the idea of buy a 3rd inverter bc I'm going to clip alot. Like to the tune of at least a couple thousand kwhs lost in a year. Probably not something I'm going to do right away but I plan on adding additional electric appliances so I might need to. Especially in the winter I'm tired of being cold. Going to add some baseboard heaters in strategic locations.

Comment

Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post
      Interesting that your screenshot says "Feed In" and "Purchase" while my app says "Import" and "Export". Strange...
      https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

Originally posted by macaddict View Post

Interesting that your screenshot says "Feed In" and "Purchase" while my app says "Import" and "Export". Strange...
        It changes from feed in/purchase to import/export. Yes very strange. This is on the iPhone app. One screen grab from last night was import/export. One this morning it was feed in/purchase which I noticed earlier. I was about to post here and ask about it lol.
        https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

73kWh generated today. Peak output of 11.4kW I saw was at around 1:30PM. 11.4kW is the inverter's rated output, so I guess it is clipping. I never expected to peak even this much because my arrays face different directions. Please do correct me if I'm wrong with these assumptions - that my absolute max will be 11.4kW because it's the inverter's spec, and that my system will never fully generate the 12.21kW output because the arrays are multi-azimuth.

clip.JPG

Comment

73kWh generated today. Peak output of 11.4kW I saw was at around 1:30PM. 11.4kW is the inverter's rated output, so I guess it is clipping. I never expected to peak even this much because my arrays face different directions. Please do correct me if I'm wrong with these assumptions - that my absolute max will be 11.4kW because it's the inverter's spec, and that my system will never fully generate the 12.21kW output because the azimuth
            Let's see the picture of today's output. To answer your question youd never output more than your inverter max no matter how many panels you had.

Comment

Originally posted by Markyrocks69 View Post

Let's see the picture of today's output. To answer your question youd never output more than your inverter max no matter how many panels you had.
              Attached. Also attached my panels layout which was captured at around 7:45AM. Array 1 the group of eight panels is azimuth 135, the remaining four at azimuth 45. Array 2 the group of six azimuth 135, and the remaining four at 225. Array 3 is entirely azimuth 225. Pitch is 30 on all.

This is all new to me and I'm having a good time looking at the data. I'd appreciate all inputs from you guys who know better what I'm looking at. One thing I'm not quite getting is the net meter vs the production graph from Solar Edge.

Since the net meter was installed and the PV system going online on 7/29, it currently shows my export (code 40 on the Itron C1SD meter) at 124kWh, and import (code 04) is 190kWh, therefore I used 66kWh from the grid. Meanwhile, the bar graph from Solar Edge since 7/29, if I subtract the roughly 100kWh of consumption before the system coming online, my consumption is at around 207kWh with a production of 211kWh. Shouldn't I be at a surplus of 4kWh, rather than having consumed 66kWh from the grid?

Thanks in advance for any input.

8/1 production (the huge spike from around 6PM is when I plugged in the car to charge):
              8-1-production.JPG

Solar Edge graph production vs consumption:
              consumption-vs-production.JPG
              Panel layout at around 7:45AM EST today:
              layout.JPG

Comment

You will find that comparing meters will end up driving you crazy. When I compare data between my utility meter, production meter, SolarEdge monitoring and PVoutput, none of them line up exactly. There is usually a 5-7% fudge factor between all of them. For the most part, they should all match however.

The discrepancy that you see between your utility meter and SE may be that timing of when the utility meter was replaced...

Comment

I have another graph from the website excluding the two days before the system coming online. It shows my system production and consumption at just about equal, so I'm really not getting the net meter reading of 124kWh/190kWh export/import.

consumption-vs-production2.JPG

Comment

You will find that comparing meters will end up driving you crazy. When I compare data between my utility meter, production meter, SolarEdge monitoring and PVoutput, none of them line up exactly. There is usually a 5-7% fudge factor between all of them. For the most part, they should all match however.

The discrepancy that you see between your utility meter and SE may be that timing of when the utility meter was replaced...
                    It's already driving me crazy lol.

Comment

8/1 production (the huge spike from around 6PM is when I plugged in the car to charge):
                      8-1-production.JPG
                      For what is worth... even though there are no incentives in NJ to do load shifting, you may want to setup your car to charge in the middle of the night. Again, financially there is no incentive whatsoever for us but it does help the grid as we shift the load from peak to off-peak... This is one of the things that I realized by having the consumption meter

You may also want to google what the "Duck Curve" is.

You may also find yourself trying to run the dishwasher, washer machine, etc. when you are producing to maximize your self-consumption. Or maybe I'm the only one that plays that game

This is what my load looks like:
                      Capture.PNG

Comment

I have another graph from the website excluding the two days before the system coming online. It shows my system production and consumption at just about equal, so I'm really not getting the net meter reading of 124kWh/190kWh export/import.
                        consumption-vs-production2.JPG
                        All the utility see is the export/import and your graph shows Export of 146kWh, import of 145kWh for these few dates. Seems to line up pretty well with what the utility has, considering they had a meter change so you likely generated some before the net meter was installed, and definitely consumed some before the inverter was turned on, accounting for the differences. The meter was installed and you consumed before switching on the inverter as well. You should let this run longer and look at more clear picture after a few more days, but it seems to be recording correctly.
                        Last edited by ButchDeal; 08-02-2019, 09:03 AM.
                        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

All the utility see is the export/import and your graph shows Export of 146kWh, import of 145kWh for these few dates. Seems to line up pretty well with what the utility has, considering they had a meter change so you likely generated some before the net meter was installed, and definitely consumed some before the inverter was turned on, accounting for the differences. The meter was installed and you consumed before switching on the inverter as well. You should let this run longer and look at more clear picture after a few more days, but it seems to be recording correctly.
                          Yes I'm definitely jumping the gun here I admit, but am eager to crunch the numbers. Thanks for your input.

Comment

For what is worth... even though there are no incentives in NJ to do load shifting, you may want to setup your car to charge in the middle of the night. Again, financially there is no incentive whatsoever for us but it does help the grid as we shift the load from peak to off-peak... This is one of the things that I realized by having the consumption meter

You may also want to google what the "Duck Curve" is.

You may also find yourself trying to run the dishwasher, washer machine, etc. when you are producing to maximize your self-consumption. Or maybe I'm the only one that plays that game

This is what my load looks like:
                            Capture.PNG
                            As soon as I plugged int he car last night, I realized how ugly it would've made my graph look. I have thought about setting the car to charge only starting midnight but just never did it since I don't have different rate here for time of use. It will definitely help ease the load on the entire system, from the grid to my 150A panel which I had concern of not being able to keep up with both AC zones and the car charging at the same time. I will set the car to charge at midnight from now on, if nothing else to help my graph look a bit prettier lol. And yes I love the data provided by the consumption meter now that I know what I'm looking at thanks to you

Edit: oh I'm now a "Solar Fanatic"
                            Last edited by sunpoweredev; 08-02-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

JSchnee21 at the moment GPE is refusing to get me access to the admin tab. I noticed in the screenshot you posted it shows you have the admin tab. When you emailed GPE for "full access", did "full access" automatically give you access to the admin tab?

Comment

Let me look back through my email and see. Yes, you definitely want access to the Admin tab so you can manage your API key for PVOutput, etc.

Re: Time of Day charging, if your car is charged outside, there are other advantages to setting the charge to complete right before you leave.

Comment

Working...
                                X