• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarineLiner
    Solar Skipper
    • May 2009

Yes, it could discourage some folks

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Yes, it could discourage some folks, that's true. .....
    It is good that there's a demand out there, that these marketers recognise this demand and are chasing this demand. This demand is what is pushing us forward towards a clean renewable future.

Comment

• MarineLiner
      Solar Skipper
      • May 2009

Difference time of where we live

Could be caused by the difference of time where we live.
      But i'm not sure, or just coincidence?
      We are happy if more come to share knowledge and experience.
      Hope people will perform ethically in looking for money.

Comment

• MarineLiner
        Solar Skipper
        • May 2009

Got caught up in the spam queue

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:38:26 -0500
        Subject: Reply to thread 'First Solar Producing Jasun has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - First Solar Producing Panels For $.98 A Watt - in the General Discussion forum of Solar Panel Forum.
        This thread is located at:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
        sorry marineliner...your post got caught up in the spam queue and I didn't notice it until now
        Last edited by MarineLiner; 07-01-2009, 09:31 PM. Reason: Please PM or eMail me to make me cautious

Comment

• Aussie Bob

Originally posted by Jasun
          i'm on this site all day, but as soon as I go to sleep the spammers come out
          You need another mod mate.

Comment

• Jason
            Administrator
            • Dec 2008

Yes, I agree Bob

Preferably someone in a timezone opposite of mine perhaps

Comment

• MarineLiner
              Solar Skipper
              • May 2009

Replies always concern to the thread topic

That's great.
              And preferably who also can keep that replies always concern to the thread topic.
              Who also can guide and respons to "bad" information. I appreciate one of our Mike did it.
              btw: i'm waiting for why i got caught. Thank you very much.

Comment

• Aussie Bob

Originally posted by Jasun
                Yes, I agree Bob

Preferably someone in a timezone opposite of mine perhaps
                Someone with a LOT of VB moderating experience, a gentle but firm hand, and good a sense of humor too.

Comment

• jojo25
                  • Sep 2009

thanks for having this forum...these con artists are so hard core that I had to sift through to the 9th page on Google before I found this site...searching for scams on greendiyenergy...they've posted page after page of bogus "reviews" and site telling me it really isn't a scam...the lady doth protest too much

thanks again

Comment

• Phillip Rehman
                    • Sep 2009

Hey guys, I really am thankfull that I joined this site. I almost bought a book set from solar4home. But decided to look deeper when there was no contact phone number. Reading your posts just saved me a crap load of heart-ache!!!! Thanks, Phillip

Comment

• philpaine
                      • Sep 2009

Throwing Out the Baby with the Bath Water

Hi Jason

Although this may read like this, I really am not wishing to raise a red flag to a bull, but I am surprised by your sweeping statements about not buying Earth4Energy and similar products.

I have bought 5 of these guides (5 different guides!) and acquired others from the Internet. I have read all the manuals / guides and watched more than a dozen hours of video.

I fully agree that their claims that you can stop paying for your electricity are ludicrous.

But their claims that you can make your own solar panel for under $200 are valid. Sure, you are assembling solar cells to construct a solar panel, but if I am putting in a new bathroom I don't expect to "make" my own loo - I buy one and install it.

These guides do show you how to make a solar panel and some of them do a very good job of it. While I agree the best manuals could be better, the best instructional videos are excellent and do show you, step by step, what to do. In terms of a product that claims to show you how to make your own solar panels, the best of these products does deliver. Therefore, in my book they are not scams.

Furthermore, in addition to going through the construction process in detail, some of these products include some excellent videos on the wider aspects of solar energy and electricity. One guide in particular stands out for providing more than 3 hours of video presentations on the fundamentals of electricity, how to use solar energy, etc. I have not found this material anywhere else on the web - it is very good indeed.

I'll quit the rambling now.

Yes, any claims that making a single solar panel is going to make a substantial difference to your electricity bill is bunkum.

To imply that you have all the materials available in your backyard is bunkum (you might have some wood and even some plexiglass, but I doubt that you have 36 solar cells sitting on the shelf!)

But to state that the guides will show you how to construct your own solar panel for under $200 is valid and should be acknowledged.

If you want to make solar panels, the best of these guides and instructional videos, do exactly that. That is not a scam.

So lets not throw out the baby with the bath water. By all means point out any errors/misleading statements in the advertising, but there is an awful lot of good material in some of these products that I have not been able to find elsewhere, it is such a shame that they feel the need to make/imply misleading claims.

Kind regards

Phil
                      Last edited by philpaine; 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM. Reason: minor corrections

Comment

• Jason
                        Administrator
                        • Dec 2008

Hi Phil, thanks for your thoughts. I changed around some wording and added some helpful links...i suppose "scam" is a strong word.

Out of curiosity, after spending over $200 on these 5 manuals you have purchased, have you managed to build a decent $150 panel? If not, be sure to share your experience as you go along and ask any questions you may have.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by philpaine
                          Hi Jason

Although this may read like this, I really am not wishing to raise a red flag to a bull, but I am surprised by your sweeping statements about not buying Earth4Energy and similar products.

I have bought 5 of these guides (5 different guides!) and acquired others from the Internet. I have read all the manuals / guides and watched more than a dozen hours of video.

I fully agree that their claims that you can stop paying for your electricity are ludicrous.

But their claims that you can make your own solar panel for around $150 are valid. Sure, you are assembling solar cells to construct a solar panel, but if I am putting in a new bathroom I don't expect to "make" my own loo - I buy one and install it. .....
                          I'm making my own loo, http://humanurehandbook.com/ but I'll expect to buy PV panels. The scam part of the "plans" is that they lead you on to think by building one $150 panel, from scrap parts in your backyard, you can be done with the electric. You can't. They know it, but they still sell that way.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• philpaine
                            • Sep 2009

I Promote Earth4Energy etc.

Hi Jason

As I mentioned in my earlier post I have bought copies of 5 of these "how to" guides, using my own hard earned cash. I did this so I could review these guides objectively, post the review on my web site and hopefully earn some money through affiliate links.

Before immediately bringing out your flame thrower, please read the whole message - thanks.

My Conclusion

The Good:

1. The Best DO Deliver. Most of the guides / kits I have reviewed (I haven't yet found the right phrase, this is as good as I can come up with) have reasonably good manuals, but even with the best of the bunch you would struggle to make a solar panel based solely on the manuals.

The best products now include instructional videos that show you step by step what to do and how to do it. The best of these are really excellent and when looked at in conjunction with the manuals, they really do show you exactly what to do, how to do it and in what order to do it. I have spent weeks searching the Internet and I have not found anything that comes close to the top three of these guides. If you want to make a solar panel I strongly recommend "Harry", as a complete novice DIYer should be able to follow Harry's guide / kit and make a decent solar panel. You just need to practice your soldering!

2. The Best Include Educational Material. The leading guides / kits now include additional material on how to use Solar and Wind power on and off grid. The best product (Harry again), has 7 videos (these are really powerpoint presentations with audio) lasting a total of more than 3 hrs on the following subjects -
                            * Video #1: Introduction to Home Made Energy
                            * Video #2: System Components & Types
                            * Video #3: Special Report re Connecting to the Grid
                            * Video #4: Electrical Fundamentals to help insure a safe, successful PV project
                            * Video #5: PV System Design and Sizing
                            * Video #6: Tools Needed to Construct the System
                            * Video #7: Batteries

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by philpaine
                              Hi Jason

As I mentioned in my earlier post I have bought copies of 5 of these "how to" guides, using my own hard earned cash. I did this so I could review these guides objectively, post the review on my web site and hopefully earn some money through affiliate links.

Before immediately bringing out your flame thrower, please read the whole message - thanks.
                              That's pretty long winded. I just say the homebuilts are great for a learning/science project, and don't expect much more from them. You are not going to power your house with them.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• philpaine
                                • Sep 2009

I Promote Earth4Energy etc.

Mike

Is it OK for me to post details of my website?

Phil

Comment

Working...