X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Markyrocks69
    I'm not a solar expert or anything but isn't the point of the optimizes to have better control of the DC power and avoid over voltages by simply regulating it? Kinda makes me wonder if you have one or more bad optimizes and its putting out too high voltage. I'd want to see what the actual voltage on the DC side is. You wrote something about DC voltage earlier. I'm not exactly sure what the conditions of your test were but you wrote like 18 point something Shouldnt that number be in the hundreds?
    Yes with the SolarEdge system the optimizer give a regulated voltage to the inverter. There are some firmware issues with some older inverter sets that will throw this error. Until the inverter gets started the DC bus will be 18V though (1V per optimizer). This is both to keep the DC bus in the save voltage range and to be a diagnostic tool so you can see how many optimizers are on a string.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ericy

It is really to get more out of your system when the lighting levels on the different panels differ due to shading or facing in different directions.
      yes this is one advantage of optimizers but with SolarEdge when things are up and running the DC bus is highly regulated to the voltage the inverter is wanting.

Comment

• ericy
        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Yes with the SolarEdge system the optimizer give a regulated voltage to the inverter. There are some firmware issues with some older inverter sets that will throw this error. Until the inverter gets started the DC bus will be 18V though (1V per optimizer). This is both to keep the DC bus in the save voltage range and to be a diagnostic tool so you can see how many optimizers are on a string.
        At this point I would be interested in hearing what SolarEdge support has to say.

Is the operating theory that one (or more) of the optimizers has failed and is pushing too much voltage, which then causes the inverter to shut down?

If it were me, I would be tempted to try and reduce the string length to 12 or so - that would still be above the minimums. I am sympathetic to what one of the potential installers said however - without a map it would be hard to find a failed optimizer. But if I did shorten the strings I would note down which optimizers are still present, as this could start to give you an idea of where the optimizers are on the roof.

Comment

• emartin00
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

If you still have issues after SolarEdge checks/updates the firmware, I would then try splitting the sting in half. Try starting up with the first 9 panels and see if it works. Then try the other 9.
          If one half works, and the other doesn't you may have a bad optimizer.
          I believe the "DC Voltage too high" error is almost always either firmware or a faulty optimizer.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ericy

At this point I would be interested in hearing what SolarEdge support has to say.

Is the operating theory that one (or more) of the optimizers has failed and is pushing too much voltage, which then causes the inverter to shut down?

If it were me, I would be tempted to try and reduce the string length to 12 or so - that would still be above the minimums. I am sympathetic to what one of the potential installers said however - without a map it would be hard to find a failed optimizer. But if I did shorten the strings I would note down which optimizers are still present, as this could start to give you an idea of where the optimizers are on the roof.
            I would say that an optimizer failure is a possible option though low likelihood. Much more likely to break something while trying to change around the string.
            I would get the inverter upgraded to latest firmware and have SE support take a look before monkeying with any connections.

When/IF any connections are changed, I would try only breaking the string in half and try one half at a time. But I wouldn't do this till after SolarEdge techs have checked things out. It is all under warranty and they should see OP as an installer with the original out of business.

Comment

• Markyrocks69
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2019

Well as been said theres only really 2 or 3 options as to what the issue. Either it's some kinda loose connection or improper installation, bad optimizes or a bad inverter. Common sense would say that its probably the inverter bc usually this is the part that fails. I'd go through SE see whatever hoops they want you to jump through to determine if the inverter is the problem. Then just go through their warranty claim process.

That being said I had called se to ask some basic questions about their products when I was shopping for inverters and I felt like I called some scam call center. They seemed to have no idea what was going on or what I was talking about. It didn't give me alot of confidence in them as a company. Plus the added cost of the optimizers wasn't for me. If I only needed 18 or 20 not that big of a deal but I needed 60....so I felt that 3 grand for optimizers was a little ridiculous.
              Last edited by Markyrocks69; 06-27-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Well as been said theres only really 2 or 3 options as to what the issue. Either it's some kinda loose connection or improper installation, bad optimizes or a bad inverter. Common sense would say that its probably the inverter bc usually this is the part that fails. I'd go through SE see whatever hoops they want you to jump through to determine if the inverter is the problem. Then just go through their warranty claim process.
                could be a bad control boar as well as wrong firmware issues. Could also be improper country code (there are many and some changed with the firmware versions, but they deal with the way the inverter handles the grid ).
                Also poor ground (though your improper installation could cover that

That being said I had called se to ask some basic questions about their products when I was shopping for inverters and I felt like I called some scam call center. They seemed to have no idea what was going on or what I was talking about. It didn't give me alot of confidence in them as a company. Plus the added cost of the optimizers wasn't for me. If I only needed 18 or 20 not that big of a deal but I needed 60....so I felt that 3 grand for optimizers was a little ridiculous.
                SolarEdge does not do direct sales so they are not set up to deal with customer calls on sales. They also are primarily set up for installers to be the first line of support calls as well.
                In this case the OP has registered as an installer and should get answers. They can remotely diagnose and manipulate much of the inverter themselves without him jumping through many hoops.

Comment

• dmage
                  • Jun 2019

Appreciate all the inputs - I opened a support ticket on the portal with SolarEdge and am in their 30-40+ minute hold queue right now... would be great if its just firmware and they can push an update today.

For the country code discussion, the inverter is set to US 240V Code: 12

Comment

• dmage
                    • Jun 2019

For the question earlier regarding the DC voltage chart, here is todays to provide visibility to the system starting up and shutting down the inverters.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Markyrocks69
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2019

I'm just thinking that this system obviously was functional at one point so the settings in the inverter shouldn't be a problem, and that unless the thing updates automatically I'd assume that the firmware was what was on the unit when it came out the box unless the installer updated it. He didn't even connect it to the internet so I'd say that's doubtful. That's why I kinda ruled that stuff out. But by all means explore all possibilities.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Another user made less than happy by a SolarEdge product.

Comment

• dmage
                          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                          Another user made less than happy by a SolarEdge product.
                          Hah, the system at my old house had three optimizers fail within two years, all repaired by the original installer under warranty at least. However, they never sent alerts and had it not been for me monitoring the panel level outputs, would have not been caught and repaired (at least quickly).

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dmage

Hah, the system at my old house had three optimizers fail within two years, all repaired by the original installer under warranty at least. However, they never sent alerts and had it not been for me monitoring the panel level outputs, would have not been caught and repaired (at least quickly).
                            IMO, and to my experience, that you checked your output makes you the exception.

As for the alerts not sent, Q.E.D.

Comment

• dmage
                              • Jun 2019

And after chatting with SolarEdge - they skipped over firmware updates and went straight to RMA on the inverter.

Comment

• Markyrocks69
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by dmage
                                And after chatting with SolarEdge - they skipped over firmware updates and went straight to RMA on the inverter.
                                Good, bc obviously if you get new inverter and the issue persists then it narrows it down.

Comment

Working...