X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmage
    • Jun 2019

Help diagnosing non-producing SolarEdge system (DC overvoltage)

Moved into new place with a ~5kw SolarEdge system w/18 panels. System was non-functional during home inspection. I have monitored and completed the below, but am now at a spot where I am looking for advice to minimize my costs and/or time. Any advice is appreciated!

Previous home I had a 10kw SolarEdge system installed, familiar with the optimizers, monitoring, etc. Also have a family background in electrical, father & uncle are electricians. Avid DIY'er and have already read up on some of what's available on SolarEdge's site.

Timeline:

Inverter is a SE5000A, it was producing no power and continually cycling - opening up DC generation and before AC output was throwing error 13 - AC voltage too high. It had no connection to internet, and was showing P_OK for 17 of the 18 optimizers. System had generated 3.3mW in the past at some point, but was showing nothing recently. It was on old firmware 3.1256, the new error code would have correlated to 2xD I believe.

I had reset it several times, and sometimes it would read P_OK for 18 of 18 optimizers, other times only 16 or 17 of 18.

Pulled the permit, the installer was out of business.

Reached out to SolarEdge - they were able to provide basic information... it was never registered in their admin system, and it shipped in 2015 so was still under warranty until 2022.

Read up on several forums regarding the error, and a few mentions were that the old firmware could cause this problem.

Installed the latest firmware, Error 13 went away and now it is throwing a "DC Overvoltage" message and still cycling. Error does not appear in the error log. Still does not produce anything.

Readings at the inverter are:
    • DC Open - 18.5v
    • L1 to L2 - 253v
    • L1 to neutral/ground - 127v
    • L2 to neutral/ground - 127v
    The unit is connected to the main panel with a 30a breaker.

Attempted to re-pair the optimizers, and now it is only picking up 2 of the 18 optimizers.

Figured I did what I could and was hoping a professional installer could diagnose better. Called out one company - they opted to just not touch it since they didn't install it. Called out another company, they were less than helpful and insisted it would be $765 to wire it to the internet, pull the panels off the roof to log the optimizer location, and then build out the map online - as they had to do all of that before they could move forward. I felt that was incorrect - I had read about setting up the portal and while yes if an optimizer was throwing an alert they would have to go hunt for it, it should display data without them spending the time and my money to build the map out. And on top of it, that doesn't solve for the current problem, it just gets them to a bit easier place to diagnose.

Instead I dropped a Cat 5 cable myself to the unit, registered as an installer, and set up the monitoring portal online. Got the unit talking to SolarEdge although that didn't provide much insight.

No alerts or errors are present. It is picking up the two optimizers but nothing more.

Looking for advice on what would be recommended for next steps - my thoughts are:
    • Pulling a few panels and shortening the string to say 4-6 optimizers/panels to see if I can get it producing.
      • If so, then the inverter is good. Process of elimination should help produce the bad optimizer.
      • If not, then retest with different optimizers and panels to confirm a bad inverter.
    Are there easier ways to complete the above, or other thoughts to help get to the root cause? Appreciate any and all thoughts!
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

The minimum string length for the older optimizers is 8 modules so shortening a string to 4-6 will not work.
    Do you currently have two strings or one string?
    What is the size of the PV modules?

You likely need to re-pair them during good sun light so that the optimizers are all working.
    You said you had 18.5V with the DC disconnect open so you have all 18 optimizers showing up, just get them paired and look for problems on the optimizer at that point.
    You can also call in to support and have all the firmware upgraded now that it is connected to the internet.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• dmage
      • Jun 2019

Thats good to know re: 8 minimum in a string, thanks. It is one string of the 18.

According to the permits the PV modules are SolarWorld SunModule Plus SW285 Mono SW15-ACTL-0428. The permit also listed an EnPhase inverter and was revised with SolarEdge later. Considering the inconsistencies in the permit, the fact that the installer never finished the internet setup, etc, and that I have no documentation provided other than whats on the permits - I would verify when I pull the panels.

Re-pairing was attempted twice during full sun, and only picked up two inverters.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by dmage
        Thats good to know re: 8 minimum in a string, thanks. It is one string of the 18.

According to the permits the PV modules are SolarWorld SunModule Plus SW285 Mono SW15-ACTL-0428. The permit also listed an EnPhase inverter and was revised with SolarEdge later. Considering the inconsistencies in the permit, the fact that the installer never finished the internet setup, etc, and that I have no documentation provided other than whats on the permits - I would verify when I pull the panels.

Re-pairing was attempted twice during full sun, and only picked up two inverters.
        Re-pairing can take 10-15 minutes so I would try it again.

Comment

• dmage
          • Jun 2019

Thanks Butch for the kick in the butt!

Gave it time to sit out there and collect telemetry prior to pairing in full sun, and managed to get all 18 back synced up. All 18 are reporting out on the web portal now.

Its back in its boot loop however with "DC Overvoltage". So far no alerts or errors reported on the web portal. The optimizers are sending back telemetry and showing that some are attempting to produce power (but the inverters not converting). After about 10 minutes 12 of the 18 have attempted to produce > 0.5 watts, with 6 showing an attempt to produce between 20 to 40 watts. The other 6 are showing 0 watt production.

Does any of this help diagnose an inverter issue that could be causing a "DC Overvoltage"? Disappointed that nothing is being reported back to the monitoring portal from an alert/error perspective.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Thanks Butch for the kick in the butt!

Gave it time to sit out there and collect telemetry prior to pairing in full sun, and managed to get all 18 back synced up. All 18 are reporting out on the web portal now.

Its back in its boot loop however with "DC Overvoltage". So far no alerts or errors reported on the web portal. The optimizers are sending back telemetry and showing that some are attempting to produce power (but the inverters not converting). After about 10 minutes 12 of the 18 have attempted to produce > 0.5 watts, with 6 showing an attempt to produce between 20 to 40 watts. The other 6 are showing 0 watt production.

Does any of this help diagnose an inverter issue that could be causing a "DC Overvoltage"? Disappointed that nothing is being reported back to the monitoring portal from an alert/error perspective.
            I would call support and ask for them to upgrade the firmware...
            you can also go to the charts tab, click on the inverter and then DC voltage to see what it is doing in a graph
            Also on the Layout tab click on the inverter and then the "i" (or right click and get info on it). then scroll down to see the DC volts...
            I suspect it is the firmware bug though...

Comment

• JSchnee21
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2017

At the moment, root cause appears to be "13 - AC voltage too high"

Line voltage is VERY HIGH -- 127V per leg with no inverter production. I cannot imagine what it goes up to when/if the inverter tries to start up. Check the line voltage a couple times throughout the day and see if it is lower in the morning, or mid day (when it's hot out). Keep the inverter turned off. Then start up your AC, etc. anything you have that draws a large current. check the line voltage again and see if it is down to something more reasonable. If it is, then start your inverter up and monitor line voltage when it comes online.

DC Voltage would go very high if the Inverter is either clipping (unlikely) or trying to limit production.
              Last edited by JSchnee21; 06-26-2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• dmage
                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

I would call support and ask for them to upgrade the firmware...
                you can also go to the charts tab, click on the inverter and then DC voltage to see what it is doing in a graph
                Also on the Layout tab click on the inverter and then the "i" (or right click and get info on it). then scroll down to see the DC volts...
                I suspect it is the firmware bug though...
                I had previously upgraded the firmware and it is on 3.2252. Is there a firmware bug still present in that version?

Comment

• dmage
                  • Jun 2019

Originally posted by JSchnee21

Line voltage is VERY HIGH -- 127V per leg with no inverter production. I cannot imagine what it goes up to when/if the inverter tries to start up. Check the line voltage a couple times throughout the day and see if it is lower in the morning, or mid day (when it's hot out). Keep the inverter turned off. Then start up your AC, etc. anything you have that draws a large current. check the line voltage again and see if it is down to something more reasonable. If it is, then start your inverter up and monitor line voltage when it comes online.
                  I believe when I had tested it to grab those voltages it was in the early morning.

Right now with AC running its at 120 per leg, 240v total, with the inverter cycling and trying to come online - still throwing the "DC Overvoltage" alert and then cycling.
                  Last edited by dmage; 06-26-2019, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by JSchnee21

DC Voltage would go very high if the Inverter is either clipping (unlikely) or trying to limit production.
                    The AC voltage could be the cause but it generally would report that not "DC voltage" It isn't too bad but would depend on which setting the inverter is set to (there are multiple US country codes). Support can help with that.

But OP can pull the AC voltage from the inverter as well.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

I had previously upgraded the firmware and it is on 3.2252. Is there a firmware bug still present in that version?
                      There are multiple firmwares.
                      Have support upgrade it
                      You have DSP2, DSP1, and communications (3 sets of firmware).
                      you can see them if you go to layout right click on the inverter and get info.

Comment

• dmage
                        • Jun 2019

Ok thanks - and some additional info as I am poking around with it and the admin panel -

... If I leave the inverter off and the DC disconnect on - I can see all 18 panels communicating to the inverter

... If I turn the inverter on - the inverters only reading 2 (I assume because of the cycling)

I ran pairing with the DC disconnect off to attempt to clear out the optimizers. I then let it sit with the inverter off and read all 18 optimizers. I turned the inverter ON and it did not produce power (as expected) since they were not paired. I ran paring again and it is again only showing 2 of 2 P-OK.

And if it helps, my DSP1 is 1.210.1321; DSP2 is 2.52.506.

I'll give a ring tomorrow to support to see if they can push an update and provide any additional input.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Ok thanks - and some additional info as I am poking around with it and the admin panel -

... If I leave the inverter off and the DC disconnect on - I can see all 18 panels communicating to the inverter

... If I turn the inverter on - the inverters only reading 2 (I assume because of the cycling)

I ran pairing with the DC disconnect off to attempt to clear out the optimizers. I then let it sit with the inverter off and read all 18 optimizers. I turned the inverter ON and it did not produce power (as expected) since they were not paired. I ran paring again and it is again only showing 2 of 2 P-OK.

And if it helps, my DSP1 is 1.210.1321; DSP2 is 2.52.506.

I'll give a ring tomorrow to support to see if they can push an update and provide any additional input.
                          you really shouldn't be turning off the DC disconnect that often. and only when it is shut down already.

Comment

• Markyrocks69
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2019

I'm not a solar expert or anything but isn't the point of the optimizes to have better control of the DC power and avoid over voltages by simply regulating it? Kinda makes me wonder if you have one or more bad optimizes and its putting out too high voltage. I'd want to see what the actual voltage on the DC side is. You wrote something about DC voltage earlier. I'm not exactly sure what the conditions of your test were but you wrote like 18 point something Shouldnt that number be in the hundreds?

Comment

• ericy
                              • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Markyrocks69
                              I'm not a solar expert or anything but isn't the point of the optimizes to have better control of the DC power and avoid over voltages by simply regulating it? Kinda makes me wonder if you have one or more bad optimizes and its putting out too high voltage. I'd want to see what the actual voltage on the DC side is. You wrote something about DC voltage earlier. I'm not exactly sure what the conditions of your test were but you wrote like 18 point something Shouldnt that number be in the hundreds?
                              It is really to get more out of your system when the lighting levels on the different panels differ due to shading or facing in different directions.

Comment

Working...