Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
    Anything can be DIY it depends on the technical level of the "Y"? A consumption monitor is not all that had to add but does involve getting into areas with high voltage ( often some that can not easily be turned off like the incoming lines to your MSP)
    Of course. I was about to tackle installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, but was able to find an electrician that was cheap enough for me not to DIY it. Mainly I was wondering if it requires some kind of inverter configuration that only the installer can perform, and then there's another box containing the "split core current transformer" which looks like it clamps over the main feed.

The electrician will be here tomorrow to do the final work. If he'll put it on great, but if not I'm not going to mess with it.
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

• NJturtlePower the panel installation is done. The electrician will be doing the final work tomorrow. The crew says they have installations lined up one after another. They were here pretty much four full days doing the installation. I was told tomorrow will only take 2-3 hours.

The back looks quite messy as your said earlier, but the roof is what it is and can't change that. Can't see a thing from the front so it's fine with me.

done2.JPGdone3.JPGdone1.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by macaddict View Post

I did it myself. I just replied with another post with the links to my install but it is unapproved because of the links. Once the mods get to it, you'll see how I did it. If you have added a circuit to your main panel, it should be easy for you.
        Thank you. Yes it looks like something I can tackle, since I don't have to deal with bare live high voltage wires it appears. I'll need to read up on configuring the inverter. Does it require installer access to configure or owner access will do?

Comment

• Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post

Thank you. Yes it looks like something I can tackle, since I don't have to deal with bare live high voltage wires it appears. I'll need to read up on configuring the inverter. Does it require installer access to configure or owner access will do?
          Owner access is fine. You may need to open up the inverter to get into the configuration menu. In another post I had put the manual for mine but you are probably better off going to SolarEdge's website and downloading the latest manual as you have a newer inverter.
          https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

• The electrical work is done. The electrician installed the consumption meter for me This was a surprise request to him but he had the necessary parts to install it. Very clean install, much cleaner than had I tackled it myself. He added a breaker to the disconnect to power the meter, as well running the CT wires through the conduits outside and back in for a totally clean look.

After they left, I opened all the panels to have a look see and it seems he forgot to wire the communication wires to the inverter. I circled them in yellow in the photos. Should be simple enough as there are just 3 terminals marked B A G. I'll strip out a cat5 cable as macaddict has done with his install and get it connected myself.

Now the waiting game begins for the inspection by the town and the PoCo. Another rep will come put on the actual SREC meter, configure the inverter and power up the system. Probably another month before it goes live. The electrician also highly suggested that I use Ethernet. I will put up the wireless bridge before the rep arrives to configure the inverter.

NJturtlePower Hope you also luck out on having the meter delivered with your equipment. But if not, perhaps you can order one and ask your electrician nicely (perhaps a drink or a steak dinner to go with it ) to get it installed for you. It may be different for your, but my equipment arrived the night before the install crew showed up the next morning. They were here for four days. Not sure if that's enough time for you to procure the consumption meter if you find that you didn't get one with your equipment shipment.

Edit: The consumption meter is installed by the electrician. The install crew was here last Wednesday and the electrician the following Tuesday. Perhaps you can schedule the electrician after you procure the meter if it wasn't included with your shipment.

1.jpg4.JPG6.JPG3.JPG2.JPG5.JPG
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sunpoweredev; 06-26-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Wow! Very nice. The GPE installer will run and land the RG485 coms wire and program the inverter. Electricians usually won't touch the low voltage stuff.

Comment

The electrical work is done. The electrician installed the consumption meter for me This was a surprise request to him but he had the necessary parts to install it. Very clean install, much cleaner than had I tackled it myself. He added a breaker to the disconnect to power the meter, as well running the CT wires through the conduits outside and back in for a totally clean look.

After they left, I opened all the panels to have a look see and it seems he forgot to wire the communication wires to the inverter. I circled them in yellow in the photos. Should be simple enough as there are just 3 terminals marked B A G. I'll strip out a cat5 cable as macaddict has done with his install and get it connected myself.

Now the waiting game begins for the inspection by the town and the PoCo. Another rep will come put on the actual SREC meter, configure the inverter and power up the system. Probably another month before it goes live. The electrician also highly suggested that I use Ethernet. I will put up the wireless bridge before the rep arrives to configure the inverter.

NJturtlePower Hope you also luck out on having the meter delivered with your equipment. But if not, perhaps you can order one and ask your electrician nicely (perhaps a drink or a steak dinner to go with it ) to get it installed for you. It may be different for your, but my equipment arrived the night before the install crew showed up the next morning. They were here for four days. Not sure if that's enough time for you to procure the consumption meter if you find that you didn't get one with your equipment shipment.

Edit: The consumption meter is installed by the electrician. The install crew was here last Wednesday and the electrician the following Tuesday. Perhaps you can schedule the electrician after you procure the meter if it wasn't included with your shipment.
                So I called in to GPE today just to get an update and I'm still about a week out from being scheduled due to all the rainy days in the past two weeks. I guess that's about the same as you after your roof install, approximately 2 to 2 1/2 weeks.

I would imagine the PTO wait will be the most painful knowing you COULD be making energy already with the flick of a switch but it's out of your and GPE's hands....

Could you get a rough measure of that full inverter/meter board you have setup now for me?

image_12498.jpg

Looks like it's sitting right next to your main panel which is my plan in the basement, just want to clear the space and maybe paint the spot prior to install.

I'll also be setting up my Ethernet switch nearby in the rafters for the run to the inverter, and while I'm at it I might run a line to my Fire TV box since I already have a hole in the floor from the cable line I no longer use.

12.35 kW - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

Comment

• Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

So I called in to GPE today just to get an update and I'm still about a week out from being scheduled due to all the rainy days in the past two weeks. I guess that's about the same as you after your roof install, approximately 2 to 2 1/2 weeks.

I would imagine the PTO wait will be the most painful knowing you COULD be making energy already with the flick of a switch but it's out of your and GPE's hands....

Could you get a rough measure of that full inverter/meter board you have setup now for me?

image_12498.jpg

Looks like it's sitting right next to your main panel which is my plan in the basement, just want to clear the space and maybe paint the spot prior to install.

I'll also be setting up my Ethernet switch nearby in the rafters for the run to the inverter, and while I'm at it I might run a line to my Fire TV box since I already have a hole in the floor from the cable line I no longer use.
                  That wooden board is 4' by 2' which the install crew brought and put on. Over the weekend I unmounted the inverter and painted it myself. If you already have a board perhaps it'd be easier to get it painted ahead of time, but wasn't hard at all taking off the inverter - 4 hex screws to get it off the mount, and 4 more wood screws for the mount itself.

GPE called earlier today and informed me that they got the town inspection scheduled for first week of July already. Nice! Though they did say that the PoCo (JCP&L for me) is usually the longest.

Edit: BTW it seems the ridge vent helps. We were out on this toasty day all day. It wasn't as stuffy upstairs as it was the last time it was this hot, and the AC only ran for 30 minutes (set to 82 while no one is around).
                  Thanks JSchnee21, save me that step too
                  Last edited by sunpoweredev; 06-26-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• So, my system was alive for about 3 hours, after the GPE rep configured the system (including the consumption meter) and while waiting for the town inspector. He said during the configuration everything worked the very first time including configuring the consumption meter. I assume that's supposed to be comforting lol. It's so cool watching the meter spin backwards It was actually spinning backwards really fast, even when I turned on the central AC. The first pic was when the meter first started spinning backwards at 10:40, and the second was at 12. It spun back by a decent amount in just an hour twenty minutes and I had the AC going By the time he shut the system off after the "inspection" (took all 2 minutes if that), the SREC meter was at 25kWh. Did it really generate 0.025 of a SREC in under 3 hours? So now I await the final step which is for the PoCo to inspect and change the meter.

NJturtlePower any updates on your installation?

alive1.JPGalive2.JPGalive3.JPG

Comment

• I installed my first HD Wave last week. Very impressed with how quiet it is. Kicking out >10kW you can barely hear anything.

SolarEdge published a video showing a SetApp inverter connecting directly to a WiFi network via WPS. Has anyone heard when this feature will be available in the US?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNd7DNiat8M&t=35s

Comment

NJturtlePower any updates on your installation?
                        I actually got an update today after sending a group email out to GPE yesterday since being in install limbo for the past few weeks.

They are targeting the week of July 22nd for my install and should be able to confirm by the end of next week. They are still citing weather related issues/rain for the schedule delays which is frustrating since my roof has been complete and ready for 3+ weeks now.

In the meantime I've been getting my basement space cleaned up, primed and ready to paint in the next few days. Nice thing about basements...it's always good weather/temp. down there.

12.35 kW - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

Comment

• Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

I actually got an update today after sending a group email out to GPE yesterday since being in install limbo for the past few weeks.

They are targeting the week of July 22nd for my install and should be able to confirm by the end of next week. They are still citing weather related issues/rain for the schedule delays which is frustrating since my roof has been complete and ready for 3+ weeks now.

In the meantime I've been getting my basement space cleaned up, primed and ready to paint in the next few days. Nice thing about basements...it's always good weather/temp. down there.
                          When I last spoke with my salesman before my installation was scheduled, weather was one of the things he complaint about, that all the rain has many of their installations pushed back.

Enjoy painting your nice cool basement BTW the new roof made a very noticeable difference upstairs. Not sure if it's just because of the added ridge vent, or if the upgraded breathable underlayment also adds to it. The upstairs AC rarely kicks in during the day now.

It's too bad the PoCo will switch out the analog meter with a digital one. I enjoyed watching the mechanical meter physically spin backwards. During the inspection was the only time I'll ever see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nwdiver View Post
                            I installed my first HD Wave last week. Very impressed with how quiet it is. Kicking out >10kW you can barely hear anything.

SolarEdge published a video showing a SetApp inverter connecting directly to a WiFi network via WPS. Has anyone heard when this feature will be available in the US?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNd7DNiat8M&t=35s
                            My installer configured the inverter using Setapp via the inverter's built in wifi. I believe that's all that the built in wifi is used for. Regular inverter monitoring and communications can only use the Ethernet (or the optional cellular module). I think he did mention that with Setapp and the inverter's wifi, the missing screen on the inverter can be replicated using Setapp. I didn't want to disturb him too much for info, but he said I'll be granted access within the SolarEdge portal when my system gets the PTO.

I tried connecting to the inverter's wifi by scanned the QR code but I was unable to connect. Not sure if I'm supposed to have access via Setapp.

ButchDeal2 can you chime in? My inverter is on standby right now awaiting for PoCo inspection. How can I view the info that would've been shown on the inverter's LCD screen?

Comment

My installer configured the inverter using Setapp via the inverter's built in wifi. I believe that's all that the built in wifi is used for. Regular inverter monitoring and communications can only use the Ethernet (or the optional cellular module). I think he did mention that with Setapp and the inverter's wifi, the missing screen on the inverter can be replicated using Setapp. I didn't want to disturb him too much for info, but he said I'll be granted access within the SolarEdge portal when my system gets the PTO.

I tried connecting to the inverter's wifi by scanned the QR code but I was unable to connect. Not sure if I'm supposed to have access via Setapp.

ButchDeal can you chime in? My inverter is on standby right now awaiting for PoCo inspection. How can I view the info that would've been shown on the inverter's LCD screen?
                              You can access all that information on the monitoring portal. There is no reason that the installer cant give you access to that now, they need not wait for PTO. You can set up monitoring with ethernet, cellular( GSM) currently with wifi option coming soon.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

BTW the new roof made a very noticeable difference upstairs. Not sure if it's just because of the added ridge vent, or if the upgraded breathable underlayment also adds to it. The upstairs AC rarely kicks in during the day now.I
                                My money's on both, but mostly the ridge vent.

Comment

Working...
                                X