Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our annual reset is fixed at the fiscal year-end for my utility (April 30th) and there is no option to change it. That time of year is when we have the biggest reserve of the entire year (3000 kWh on average) and it's just as we enter the heavy summer cooling season. I would much rather use the banked energy than get wholesale value for it. By being mindful of the thermostat in the summer, we do make it though the entire year with no net billable energy but it would be nice to set the A/C a notch lower June-August.
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Looks like I missed the party, but I just wanted to chime in that originally, I too, had planned to set my Anniversary to March as GPE has recommended. But the more I looked at my usage and production patterns, it actually made more sense for me to set mine to Dec 31/Jan 1st. In my case, since my home is all natural gas, my main electric usage is HVAC April-October.

In 2019 my array offset approx 91% of my usage (System Production:12.34 MWh; Consumption:13.53 MWh).

Generally Feb-June I make more than I use. And in July-Jan, I use more than I make. I start banking MWh in Feb through June, that then carry me through October-ish. By Nov, all my banked credits are used up. Usually in Feb, I start banking for the next Summer.

If your arrays are inclined more than mine (mine's only 20%) then you'd make even more production in Winter than I do.

If I had set my Anniversary to March or April I would have missed that winter/early Spring production. Granted, it's not a lot of production, but I'd hate to "through it away" at wholesale rates.

Comment

• Capture.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

Hey, did you happen to reset your solar anniversary yet?

I just called JCP&L at the GPE provided number of 800-662-3115 and at the prompt was transferred to billing.

I stated I was calling to "change my solar interconnection month for purposes of net metering", and the agent was clearly aware of the nature of my call. She asked what month I would like and I stated March as recommended.

I'm assuming this annual solar review takes place on your typical meter reading date, but I don't know for a fact....maybe some of our local veteran members can confirm. I'm guessing March would mean at the end of the Feb. reading date to include the full March statement period.....

Anyways, I was given an official notification case number for reference and it seems like that's it, no other notification via mail or such as far as I was told. The request is sent to the appropriate department and the change is made.
          Not yet. Since I'd have to actually speak to a live person I'm putting it off for as long as I can lol. Too accustomed to handling things online nowadays. I will call soon. My billing cycle ends early in the month, between the 2nd and 5th (not sure why it's not the same every month..) so when I call I can just say March.

I just reported December production, at just a bit over 1/3 my November production lol. Had a couple perfectly cloudless day here in the last week after my panels were completely cleared of ice and snow. Best case in late December is around 30kWh a day for me. Compare that to August which generated 1.7MWh for the month and a max of 76kWh a day. I'm usually not a summer person but now summer can't come soon enough.

Happy new year to all!

https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

• On trueup dates/time of year:

To keep things focused, assume annual PV generation and annual usage stay constant year over year, that is, generation and usage for any billing period is the same for similar billing periods one year to the next. All Jan. usage for example, never changes one year (or maybe even one day) to the next, but is different from Dec. or Feb. That's what most preliminary PV modeling does anyway with annual variations and their effects considered after preliminary sizing is done.

1.) If you have system sized such that annual generation exactly matches annual usage, when trueup takes place in the annual cycle will make no difference. What you gain or lose based on when in the annual cycle any month/month variations in generation or usage may occur, you'll get back or pay for the following year.

2.) If you have a system that generates more in any 365 days than you use in 365 days, and without getting off topic about how economically inefficient and counter productive that is, you'll want any excess generation payments to occur at as close to when the running net excess usage in the 365 day cycle is at, or close to, its maximum. Also, after that trueup, you'll (probably ?) run less excess generation, and/or be in deficit, and either way, getting excess generation payments as close to when they accrue, even though they're a lousy ROI, will get them to you sooner. Basically, you'll have the use of the excess generation payments sooner.
            That would put trueup close(r) to, or at the end of the excess generation season.

3.) If you have a system that generates less than you use, you'll want to get the most flexibility and use of what you'll pay at trueup by delaying payment of any net 12 billing period draw from the POCO for as long as possible. Call it an interest free loan. To do that, trueup should be as far into the future from when the most accrued POCO draw (and payment liability) occurs as possible.
            That would most likely be at the beginning of the deficit season.

For many, maybe most climates or situations, 2 and 3 above may be at or close to the same times of year.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
              On trueup dates/time of year:

To keep things focused, assume annual PV generation and annual usage stay constant year over year, that is, generation and usage for any billing period is the same for similar billing periods one year to the next. All Jan. usage for example, never changes one year (or maybe even one day) to the next, but is different from Dec. or Feb. That's what most preliminary PV modeling does anyway with annual variations and their effects considered after preliminary sizing is done.

1.) If you have system sized such that annual generation exactly matches annual usage, when trueup takes place in the annual cycle will make no difference. What you gain or lose based on when in the annual cycle any month/month variations in generation or usage may occur, you'll get back or pay for the following year.

2.) If you have a system that generates more in any 365 days than you use in 365 days, and without getting off topic about how economically inefficient and counter productive that is, you'll want any excess generation payments to occur at as close to when the running net excess usage in the 365 day cycle is at, or close to, its maximum. Also, after that trueup, you'll (probably ?) run less excess generation, and/or be in deficit, and either way, getting excess generation payments as close to when they accrue, even though they're a lousy ROI, will get them to you sooner. Basically, you'll have the use of the excess generation payments sooner.
              That would put trueup close(r) to, or at the end of the excess generation season.

3.) If you have a system that generates less than you use, you'll want to get the most flexibility and use of what you'll pay at trueup by delaying payment of any net 12 billing period draw from the POCO for as long as possible. Call it an interest free loan. To do that, trueup should be as far into the future from when the most accrued POCO draw (and payment liability) occurs as possible.
              That would most likely be at the beginning of the deficit season.

For many, maybe most climates or situations, 2 and 3 above may be at or close to the same times of year.
              Regarding #1, my system output is supposed to match my annual consumption, but is averaged out over the year accounting for deficit and excess months, so it makes all the difference in the world when trueup takes places. IIRC by the end of October, I had ~700kWh banked, with my system coming online in early August. Just received this month's bill and I was billed >1000kWh because winter

I just called JCP&L to reset my anniversary to March, so they will get nothing from me

Comment

• Certainly optimum trueup is going to depend on the PoCo payment plan, and the time relation
                between your usage and generation. If you are trading KWH back and forth for the same $
                amount either way, trueup time will not change the annual total.

Here I get nothing for surplus KWH, I pay full rate once my surplus is gone. Since I generate
                all my surplus KWH in summer and consume them mostly for heat in winter, my best trueup
                time will be just as winter ends and I just start to build another summer surplus. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Originally posted by jordgubbe View Post
                  In my case, since my billing date is also the last day of the month, the person I spoke to advised setting February as the anniversary month, since theoretically February should be more likely to be a deficit generation month and March would be likely to be a surplus month, so I should thus avoid getting cashed out for watthours I'll be using in AC months
                  So after these exchanges about anniversary trueup dates and realizing my mistake of not taking my billing date in consideration I was a bit nervous and I actually called JCP&L back about 6-hours after my initial request.

The agent checked the system and said it looks like the request was already fulfilled, but that she would put in a request for February and would call me back the next day with the outcome either way. Well that next day passed, as well as the weekend, with no word at which point I figured, oh well it's a done deal, I'm locking in for March FOREVER.

BUT to my complete surprise, I received a call back this Tuesday from the same woman who took my followup request CONFIRMING my official change to February!!!. Really happy that not only they could accommodate my secondary request, but also that somebody actually followed through and got back to me...rare these days, so big thumbs up to JCP&L.

March will most likely be a surplus solar production month for me, so glad I was able to roll my date back and avoid any wholesale credit buyouts.

Last March 2019 I was billed for 784 kWh's and my estimated solar production for that period this year is 1.379MWh which SHOULD start my solar bank off to a good start.
                  Last edited by NJturtlePower; 01-10-2020, 10:00 AM.
                  12.35 kW - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

Comment

So after these exchanges about anniversary trueup dates and realizing my mistake of not taking my billing date in consideration I was a bit nervous and I actually called JCP&L back about 6-hours after my initial request.

The agent checked the system and said it looks like the request was already fulfilled, but that she would put in a request for February and would call me back the next day with the outcome either way. Well that next day passed, as well as the weekend, with no word at which point I figured, oh well it's a done deal, I'm locking in for March FOREVER.

BUT to my complete surprise, I received a call back this Tuesday from the same woman who took my followup request CONFIRMING my official change to February!!!. Really happy that not only they could accommodate my secondary request, but also that somebody actually followed through and got back to me...rare these days, so big thumbs up to JCP&L.

March will most likely be a surplus solar production month for me, so glad I was able to roll my date back and avoid any wholesale credit buyouts.

Last March 2019 I was billed for 784 kWh's and my estimated solar production for that period this year is 1.379MWh which SHOULD start my solar bank off to a good start.
                    Lucky you. The agent I spoke to at JCP&L was like a robot. I asked her since my billing cycle ends in the beginning of the month, that if I should reset it for March or April. She just babbled that itll be effective for the month of my choosing, and was going to hang up before giving me a reference number. I don't think it'll make a big difference for me whether it's 3/1 or 4/1. We average 2000 miles a month on the Tesla, and in winter months consumption will be near 300Wh/mile, sucking up ~700kWh/mo all by itself. Still, I'd better call back to make sure that it's entered into the system.

Sun's getting higher still. Made 38kWh today Really lucked out on the last snowstorm. Had a good 3" from Saturday and my panels were completely cleared by mid noon yesterday. I fully expected it linger for a few days. My panels were covered for like 4 days from the last round of snow.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post

Lucky you. The agent I spoke to at JCP&L was like a robot. I asked her since my billing cycle ends in the beginning of the month, that if I should reset it for March or April. She just babbled that itll be effective for the month of my choosing, and was going to hang up before giving me a reference number. I don't think it'll make a big difference for me whether it's 3/1 or 4/1. We average 2000 miles a month on the Tesla, and in winter months consumption will be near 300Wh/mile, sucking up ~700kWh/mo all by itself. Still, I'd better call back to make sure that it's entered into the system.

Sun's getting higher still. Made 38kWh today Really lucked out on the last snowstorm. Had a good 3" from Saturday and my panels were completely cleared by mid noon yesterday. I fully expected it linger for a few days. My panels were covered for like 4 days from the last round of snow.
                      You should have received a letter in the mail confirming the JCP&L change to your new solar anniversary. I was told I would get two because of the change and revision, and got both a few days apart.

That's a lot of miles on the car, think my max to date is like 1100mi in any month. I'm currently averaging 339 Wh/Mile which is slightly better than this time last year, but I do drive pretty spirited around town.

Charging 1-2020.jpg
                      And yes, today was a great solar day in NJ... almost 41,500 kWh for me.... best of about 3-months!

Got a little less snow than you and by the next day it had all slid off the panels as they warmed ....last time was worse here as well, stayed colder and froze on there.

Comment

• So I've been pretty ignorant about the billed kWh numbers since 8/2019 when my bill had been $2.78. When winter came around is when I started looking at the number. December I was billed 1200kWh, and January 600kWh.

According to SolarEdge, my January consumption was 993.76 kWh, and production was 667.01 kWh, difference of 326 kWh, which perfectly matches up with the import and export figures shown on SolarEdge. Shouldn't 326 kWh be what I'm billed? The discrepancy was even bigger for December - consumed 1.09MWh, produced 302kWh, and was billed 1200kWh.

Am I missing something?

Jan2020.JPG
                        Attached Files

Comment

So I've been pretty ignorant about the billed kWh numbers since 8/2019 when my bill had been $2.78. When winter came around is when I started looking at the number. December I was billed 1200kWh, and January 600kWh.

According to SolarEdge, my January consumption was 993.76 kWh, and production was 667.01 kWh, difference of 326 kWh, which perfectly matches up with the import and export figures shown on SolarEdge. Shouldn't 326 kWh be what I'm billed? The discrepancy was even bigger for December - consumed 1.09MWh, produced 302kWh, and was billed 1200kWh.

Am I missing something?

Jan2020.JPG
                          Take a look at your billing cycle start and end dates.
                          https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

• Originally posted by macaddict View Post

Take a look at your billing cycle start and end dates.
                            JCP&L took the reading on 1/30. My cycle starts at the beginning of each month.

Comment

So I've been pretty ignorant about the billed kWh numbers since 8/2019 when my bill had been $2.78. When winter came around is when I started looking at the number. December I was billed 1200kWh, and January 600kWh.

Am I missing something?

Jan2020.JPG
                              You're not alone.... it's definitely confusing. I've been using the Consumption Calculator Excel Sheet provided by GPE since I do not have an inline consumption monitor.

I try to take my meter readings, SREC meter, the exterior meter "04" Inbound reading and "40" Outbound reading on the same day JCP&L are scheduled to read the meter each month, but in the past 6-months they have now given me an estimated reading 3 times! So annoying... so I have actual readings in my sheet, but the bills of course don't match up.

Anyways, here's what I have logged so far... ignore the first couple readings, I was just playing around, but last 3 are true to monthly billing cycle.

Hoping to seeing the JCP&L Contribution column go negative soon!

Untitled.jpg

Comment

You're not alone.... it's definitely confusing. I've been using the Consumption Calculator Excel Sheet provided by GPE since I do not have an inline consumption monitor.

I try to take my meter readings, SREC meter, the exterior meter "04" Inbound reading and "40" Outbound reading on the same day JCP&L are scheduled to read the meter each month, but in the past 6-months they have now given me an estimated reading 3 times! So annoying... so I have actual readings in my sheet, but the bills of course don't match up.

Anyways, here's what I have logged so far... ignore the first couple readings, I was just playing around, but last 3 are true to monthly billing cycle.

Hoping to seeing the JCP&L Contribution column go negative soon!

Untitled.jpg
                                Your January consumption and production numbers are eerily similar to mine lol. So it looks like you should be billed 332kWh (1016 minus 684), if I'm understanding this correctly. What did you actually get billed for?

My SREC meter is also off by about 1000kWh compared to the 40 reading on the JCP&L meter. Makes sense I guess, since the SREC meter will record the self-consumed production and the JCP&L meter doesn't. I thought the discrepancy would be bigger than this. My SREC meter is at 56xx, before adding the missing 300kWh from when the first SREC meter went dead, which closely matches up my lifetime production of 5.99MWh per SolarEdge.

Several weeks ago I happen to catch something strange on the JCP&L meter, on the 40 reading. One day in the morning I walked by and took a peek and made a mental note. Walked by again later that day and it went up by 100kWh, what No I definitely wasn't seeing things. It was a cloudy day and the system produced no more than 20kWh that day.

Comment

Working...
                                X