X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jordgubbe
    replied
    Our guy came on a day when everyone happened to be home and he gamely waited by the meter for the five or so minutes that it took to finish baking something thatthat had been in the oven. We momentarily lost power a few times over a span of about fifteen minutes, but it was pretty painless. PTO came I think the next day.

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    Originally posted by NJturtlePower
    Well just to keep the updates rolling guys...

I DocuSigned our Part 2 of the Interconnection Agreement with JCP&L the other day and GPE stopped by to swap out the SREC meter for a working one, so we're all zeros, ready and waiting....

IMG_1542.JPG

Any day now!
    From the time I signed part 2 till PTO was 11 days. Hope you fare better.

Be on the lookout for the JCP&L electrician. He was a total ninja. The morning before I received the PTO email from GPE, I noticed a voltage drop when both my UPS' clicked, as if the laser printer came on and I thought nothing of it. Early in the afternoon there it was, the new meter, and couple hours later the PTO email came. Neither of my security cameras captured when JCP&L showed up The house didn't lose power when the meter was swapped.

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied
    Very exciting!

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Well just to keep the updates rolling guys...

I DocuSigned our Part 2 of the Interconnection Agreement with JCP&L the other day and GPE stopped by to swap out the SREC meter for a working one, so we're all zeros, ready and waiting....

IMG_1542.JPG

Any day now!

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    I took a few readings of the big aluminum heatsink on the side of the inverter with the palm of my hand. On a 90+ degree day while my SE11400 was cranking at >10kW, it's "very warm" to the touch , never even became uncomfortable leaving my palm on it. In comparison, a toasted roll will get uncomfortable, fast

And I took a reading with an IR thermometer, the hottest point I could get was 107F. It's a bit tricky pointing it at the aluminum surface. Pointing at it from the sides max I could get was around 90F, but I knew it's hotter than that. I pointed it down the fins from above and hottest I could get was the 107F.

In all seriousness, it will not make any difference as far as heating up my garage in the winter. I've only ever heard the fan come on once, and it wasn't even that hot that day.

Leave a comment:

• nwdiver
    replied

A bit more with the SE11400 obviously.... mini toaster oven?
    Only if your definition of 'toast' is warm bread

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied

Now that I know what we're talking about, ehh I guess I can deal with that haha

Even then you're talking about fewer than 230w/hr, and how often is it really going to be cranking along at maximum capacity? Hopefully a lot, obviously, but we aren't exactly in Arizona here

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by nwdiver

Yes... roughly as much heat generation as a computer or a large flat screen TV.
    Now that I know what we're talking about, ehh I guess I can deal with that haha

Last edited by NJturtlePower; 08-20-2019, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nwdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by jordgubbe

So if I'm understanding correctly, if the efficiency of my 7600w inverter is 98%, we're looking at a rough maximum waste heat figure of 2% * 7600 = 152w/hr?
    Yes... roughly as much heat generation as a computer or a large flat screen TV.

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.

FWIW, and to a rough 1st approx., the inverter will kick off heat to its surroundings ~ as: [(1-inverter eff)* inverter input] . Perhaps useful in heating season, perhaps unwanted during cooling season.
    So if I'm understanding correctly, if the efficiency of my 7600w inverter is 98%, we're looking at a rough maximum waste heat figure of 2% * 7600 = 152w/hr?

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied

Exactly my feeling about equipment protection and utilizing dead basement space.

I'm happy I opted (per recommendations from here early on) for that vs everything outside, and as you said the only complication is an extra external disconnect and a bit of IN/OUT conduit runs.

I'm 1-week in now waiting on my PTO/Meter Swap so just that much closer.....
    FWIW, and to a rough 1st approx., the inverter will kick off heat to its surroundings ~ as: [(1-inverter eff)* inverter input] . Perhaps useful in heating season, perhaps unwanted during cooling season.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by jordgubbe
    Fwiw, we opted to have the inverter and srec meter mounted in the basement, next to our electrical panel, and are ethernet connected. There's plenty of space for it, so keeping it out of the elements seemed wise. Plus, could performance be affected if the inverter is itself being heated by direct sunlight?
    We haven't had a truly clear day yet, so I don't know that the system has ever been going full gas, but so far the inverter has been effectively silent and doesn't throw off any appreciable heat. The only drawback to this setup I see is the fact that it required two additional penetration to run the exterior emergency disconnect. Not a big problem, but fewer holes punched through exterior walls always seems better.
    Exactly my feeling about equipment protection and utilizing dead basement space.

I'm happy I opted (per recommendations from here early on) for that vs everything outside, and as you said the only complication is an extra external disconnect and a bit of IN/OUT conduit runs.

I'm 1-week in now waiting on my PTO/Meter Swap so just that much closer.....
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 08-20-2019, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by robstrash
    @NJturtlePower, Thanks for writing up this great thread. I'm in central NJ (East Windsor) and looking at solar now so this is a very informative thread. Do you know if GPE or Costello roofing gives you anything for referrals? I'm going to call them up and wanted to get you something if possible. If you need to contact me, my username here is my gmail account. Thanks again.
    I'm glad it's useful Rob. Most things I spend so much time researching and exploring I try to at least share my experiences good or bad whether that be an Amazon review, Tesla forum post or this time solar.

I'm kinda OCD (obviously), and wordy to most reading these things, but it is what it is and figure SOMEBODY might be in the same frame of mind looking at every possible detail some day.

I just emailed my Sales guy at GPE, Tim DeSevo about any referrals... I'll let you know and appreciate it!

UPDATE: robstrash There is in fact a very generous $500 referral bonus offered by GPE - Email sent to your Gmail.
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 08-20-2019, 01:23 PM. Reason: Update

Leave a comment:

• robstrash
    replied
    @NJturtlePower, Thanks for writing up this great thread. I'm in central NJ (East Windsor) and looking at solar now so this is a very informative thread. Do you know if GPE or Costello roofing gives you anything for referrals? I'm going to call them up and wanted to get you something if possible. If you need to contact me, my username here is my gmail account. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied
    Fwiw, we opted to have the inverter and srec meter mounted in the basement, next to our electrical panel, and are ethernet connected. There's plenty of space for it, so keeping it out of the elements seemed wise. Plus, could performance be affected if the inverter is itself being heated by direct sunlight?
    We haven't had a truly clear day yet, so I don't know that the system has ever been going full gas, but so far the inverter has been effectively silent and doesn't throw off any appreciable heat. The only drawback to this setup I see is the fact that it required two additional penetration to run the exterior emergency disconnect. Not a big problem, but fewer holes punched through exterior walls always seems better.

Leave a comment:

Working...