X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skoshiol
    • Apr 2019

Where to sell extra Solar Panels?

Hi -

Anyone know where to sell Solar Panels? I got scammed by an installer and lost several thousands dollars. Try to re coup some of my money back. I have a pallet of 20 brand new pallets I would like to install. Supplier wont take back.

I'm in Minneapolis area, MN.

20 Solar Panels -
    Solarworld SW295 MONO 295 watts MONO WOB; 60 Cell 33MM Black Frame

Also have Rails - 14 ft and 14 qty
    UNIRAC 320168M, SM 168" STANDARD RAIL, MILL FINISH

Thanks
    Last edited by skoshiol; 04-09-2019, 02:18 PM.
  • emartin00
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

where are you located?

Comment

• skoshiol
      • Apr 2019

Minneapolis area, MN.I updated my original post

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

If you would like to install them why would you be selling them.? The problem is that if you sell them to someone, they are technically "used" and dependent on the person you sell it to their accountant may have a problem with claiming a 30% credit on solar panel. Solar World is no more with Sunpower buying the US branch and I expect any guarantees may be null and void due to the bankruptcy so it makes them marginally less attractive. Of course unless they are dead out of the box they are reportedly a good panel so the reality is almost every other commodity panel has a low likelihood of warranty support barring a 3rd party policy. Most installers want to install their own supplied product as they make a profit off the equipment as well as the installation and they also have to worry about getting phone calls for support on equipment they didn't supply.

Sure there are folks like me who gladly will buy them at the right price but obviously you want the best price to offset your losses and I want to buy them at the lowest cost. The best place for them is installed on your property assuming you have a good site with solar exposure. That's not going to change. Ideally you let them sit until you can afford the balance of equipment and find a good installer to install them at a later date. Sure the rebate is going down a few percent in 2020 but far better to take minor shave on the rebate that taking a major haircut dumping the panels for far less than you are into them. My guess not knowing where you are in the world is if you can sell them for $0.30 a watt you are doing good. Keep in mind that if you elect to sue selling them is dangerous proposition until the case is over.

BTW unless your local jurisdiction doesn't allow it, a self install is not that difficult for someone with basic skills. Ideally work out a deal with an electrician to do the final wiring and use microinverters. They are as close to plug and play as you can get. Buy the right roof mounts with integrated flashing and hanging the panels Is not that hard unless you don't have good roof access or just plain does not like roofs. That problem goes away with ground mounts if you have good site with no shading. Rail is relatively cheap compared to the hardware so unless you got bags of hardware you will need to buy it to match the system.

Comment

• skoshiol
          • Apr 2019

I paid 35k to an installer for the entire project. Pretty much maxed out my Home equity line with paid some with personal funds. Don't really have any spare money for this. I was supposed to get 36 panels. The guy orders a little equipment and disappears. I now learned he has 3 Judgments already ordered for 100k combined. Even if I bring to court and get one, chances of getting money is slim to none. So any money back at this point i'll take.

I dont have the skills to do myself. I have no other equipment such as inverters or whatever else is needed just 20 panels and 14 - 14ft rails.

If you could recommend someone to get a quote from locally in Minneapolis area I wouldn't mind checking out.

Thanks,

Comment

• skoshiol
            • Apr 2019

Here they are.
            Attached Files

Comment

• foo1bar
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2014

I'd be interested at the right price.
              These are 295W modules still on the pallet, never installed?

As such I believe they're still considered new and not used.
              I don't see a legal/tax difference between buying from skoshiol vs buying from John Smith Solar Installation vs. buying from XYZ Solar Distributors Inc.

You could try advertising on craigslist - not sure how well that'd go.
              Or you could try E-bay.
              I don't think this forum has an option to private message people - and probably you're going to get a better price from other people - but if you really want to sell I would be willing to talk price.

Good luck.

Comment

• skoshiol
                • Apr 2019

You can reach me at 612 709 5440

Comment

• littleharbor
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2016

You didn't pay the contractor in full did you?
                  2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• skoshiol
                    • Apr 2019

Foolishly yup. 95% of it.

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

Ouch!
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• skoshiol
                        • Apr 2019

foo1bar, you still interested? You never contacted me.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by foo1bar
                          I'd be interested at the right price.
                          These are 295W modules still on the pallet, never installed?

As such I believe they're still considered new and not used.
                          I don't see a legal/tax difference between buying from skoshiol vs buying from John Smith Solar Installation vs. buying from XYZ Solar Distributors Inc.

You could try advertising on craigslist - not sure how well that'd go.
                          Or you could try E-bay.
                          I don't think this forum has an option to private message people - and probably you're going to get a better price from other people - but if you really want to sell I would be willing to talk price.

Good luck.
                          My understanding - perhaps incorrect - of the "new and not used" provision is primarily to avoid more than one tax credit being taken for any piece of equipment. I'm not sure how the determination/verification is/would be made as to non prior use aspect, particularly once the installation that the tax credit is applied to is done.

Comment

• skoshiol
                            • Apr 2019

I never claimed any tax credit. I dont think i can since nothing was installed?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by skoshiol
                              I never claimed any tax credit. I dont think i can since nothing was installed?
                              I believe you but foo1bar's situation may be something such as he must (perhaps) be able to show/convince the IRS that equipment he's using had its first use with his installation. So, the question may be: What will the IRS need in terms of documentation and/or other verification to be convinced that his use of the equipment is the original use of that equipment ? Photos of nameplates as they come off a stack of palletized panels and corroborating photos showing corresponding panel nameplates after installation ? Who knows ?

As a seller, I'd think it might be in your interest to find out what the IRS may need as verification of non prior use of your goods and get their answer in writing, or drop the asking price by 30 % below comparative offerings from online/retail sources.

Comment

Working...