X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conntaxman
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2011

mppt /algorithm

Thank you both, because I don't take none of that kind of sh.. from no one.Two things that I can't stand is a lier and someone who steals. From way over here I would find a way to make it misreable that company and I would work on it .
    Glad you two are on this forum and are very smart.
    tks again
    John
    "I always keep my 6 helpers on my belt"

Comment

• Polecat
      • Jun 2011

Thanks for the testing and posts;

I'm ordering one of these today, as the cost is less than buying the components to build one myself. If I find anything different, I'll post it then.

Comment

• conntaxman
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2011

mppt /algorithm

polecat... So far it's working very good.And it is doing MPPT. mine is anyways.

Comment

• electricsuperduty
          • Jun 2011

Buyer be-ware of Import Inverters and charge controllers, read up on reviews.

Comment

• conntaxman
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2011

mppt /algorithm

electric. I have read about that SL-40A and asked alot of questions about it and Also called the companies in the USA. and asked questions about theirs , in the low price range. When I got mine i checked its preformance and another person did and he also found that it worked as it said it would.
            Back to why it cost much LESS. First is that the Labor over china is soooo cheap, and they make all the parts their, and most likely they only want to make small amounts of profit per iteam, this way they will sell many more and really make more money that way.
            Second reason is that the United States companies buy ALL the components from china. ha ha ha. and they want sooo much for labor cost, and if their is a Union involved then the cost is even Higher.
            Any way. the one I bought Works.
            I always try to buy American . all my cars are American! are yours?and all those other's that say don't buy it if it isn't made in the USA. What kind of car's do they drive.
            everyone have Fun with their Solar. even if it dosen't pay for itself.

Comment

• electricsuperduty
              • Jun 2011

Yes, I know all about the cost differences and why, BTW I drive a Ford Super Duty 1 ton Dually 4x4 Diesel that gets 19+ on the hiway and the wife drives a Ford Taurus. Some China parts are actually made in Tiawan and or Korea, because cheap labor sometimes equals cheap quality control. I am going to check in on this controller, thanks for sharing, thats why I joined.

Comment

• conntaxman
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2011

SL-40 mppt controller

Tony. I just hooked up my SL-40mppt controller and its been about 1 week,I just have it hooked to 1 gel battery.So far its been doing good.I just ordered 2 amp and 2 dig.volt meters.I just have the reg. meters now.Its nice to watch the meters change from not drawing any current to drawing current. I just took some readings of a coulple rooms in the house to see how many watts they use, so that I could get the batteries to supply ele. to them.Its also nice to know about the SL-40 is you can hook them up parallel. And another thing that I found out is if you want the INput voltage to be more then 55vdc ,when you order the SL-40 you let them know that you want the input voltage higher and they will program it,or what they have to do.
                Would you or any of the guys here know about the input voltage. Ok when Nothing is connected to the solar panels Except a volt meter I get about 34 I think thats what it was about, Then when I connect it to the charge controller and battery it will drop down to about 30.Something like that. So when they say Input voltage is will say 55 do they mean when it is connected to the controller.
                tks
                John
                Why is it if you Reply to a post it will say "your message is too short"

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by conntaxman
                  .....Why is it if you Reply to a post it will say "your message is too short"
                  Me too! Prevents.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• conntaxman
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2011

gel battery

I have an older gel battery optium yellow 55ah. I had it connected for about a week and it seemed not to power the inverter too long. I would run a computer on it at night for about 8hr. computer would draw about 1/2amp. Next morring pv panels would charge it up Full 13.9 .It seemed to lose ah every night ,so this morring I brought it down to auto zone and they checked it and said that it was fine and it was 13. something volts.So i came home hooked it up again but did not turn on the inverter on, later I turned on the inverter and in about 1 min. the alarm went off on the inverter, I checked the voltage of the battery and it was 10 volts. Also the charge controller lights were off, that means their isn't enought voltage in the battery.
                    Did you ever hear of this? checked out good and a few hr later no good.
                    Im going to buy some deep cycle batteries tomorrow.Not gel that for sure.
                    John

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Why is it if you Reply to a post it will say "your message is too short"
                      Stops some spammers - same with requiring so many posts to use the PM feature
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• electricsuperduty
                        • Jun 2011

I have an older gel battery optium yellow 55ah. I had it connected for about a week and it seemed not to power the inverter too long. I would run a computer on it at night for about 8hr. computer would draw about 1/2amp. Next morring pv panels would charge it up Full 13.9 .It seemed to lose ah every night ,so this morring I brought it down to auto zone and they checked it and said that it was fine and it was 13. something volts.So i came home hooked it up again but did not turn on the inverter on, later I turned on the inverter and in about 1 min. the alarm went off on the inverter, I checked the voltage of the battery and it was 10 volts. Also the charge controller lights were off, that means their isn't enought voltage in the battery.
                        Did you ever hear of this? checked out good and a few hr later no good.
                        Im going to buy some deep cycle batteries tomorrow.Not gel that for sure.
                        John
                        Interesting to see if the mppt works...what is the current draw from the invertor just being on?

Comment

• conntaxman
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2011

mppt controller

Originally posted by electricsuperduty
                          Interesting to see if the mppt works...what is the current draw from the invertor just being on?
                          Hi electric. I put an amp meter on between the bat and inverter and it was drawing 3.8 to 4 amps. Also i tried a good battery, it was small/motorcycle battery but charged. and as soom as i turned on the inverter with a 100 watt light bulb it ran for about 30 seconds and started to beep and then shut down. The battery was still at 12.8 volts. I remember a long time ago when I was hooking up the inverter I heard a big noise and spark, I must have crossed the plus and minus. I only used it i think about 1 after that to run a computer and I remember that it seened not to last too long either.I must have screwed something up inside the converter.
                          have no idea were to start looking for the problem when I take it apart .Guess look for some Fried resisters or cap. Dam and I didn't want to spend money on one right now, But was thinking of getting a newer one that draw only about .45 when now powered up full.
                          John

Comment

• electricsuperduty
                            • Jun 2011

I'd say you have a dead short in the invertor, 3-4 amps on a 100watt bulb is 3 times too much. Should only pull about .85 amps for the bulb plus whatever the invertor pulls.

Comment

• conntaxman
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2011

mppt controller

My solar mppt SL-40 seems to be working very well from what I could see.Let explain.I got 8 :65 watt panels.[36 or the 3x6 cells] total 520watts. This morring I went to start a van up and the battery was dead,wouldn't turn over the engine, so i said hay, let me see how long and what amperage my panels will be putting out. Before i hooked it up it had 11.09 volts, and my volt meter from the panels said 31 volts amp was 0 I had nothing connected except the SL-40. I connected the controller to the battery and the voltage went down to 14 and the amps went up to 16. . I hooked it up at 11:53am and checked it at 1:49pm. at 1:49 pm the Volts were up to 28 volts and the amps were down to 5 amps. I don't know, but I think that is pretty good.Never thought the panels would put out that much amperage. When you look at one panel it looks small. ha ha ha . Im very happy with them. Next Im working on my Dc to Ac inverter, I now think that a 470ohmx 200volt cap is bad. I just changed out a Mosfet because it was sooooo hot that I though it was bad. Hate to buy a new one.
                              John

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by electricsuperduty
                                I'd say you have a dead short in the invertor, 3-4 amps on a 100watt bulb is 3 times too much. Should only pull about .85 amps for the bulb plus whatever the invertor pulls.
                                You need to go back to school. 100 watts @ 12 volts requires 8.33 amps.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...