• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conntaxman
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2011

mppt /algorithm

Originally posted by Sunking
    I have a few. Lexus, BMW, Honda, and a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Pick Up in which 2 of them are used for work. The Honda Accord is my everyday vehicle for personal use, and the BMW is the wife's car.

One good clue in the controller spec is the maximum input Voc voltage of 55 volts, which means maximum Vmp of around 40 volts which is exactly what you would want for a 24 volt PWM. MPPT input voltages are usually above 100 volts, and the high quality ones 150. New ones coming out are rated 600 Voc @ 80 amps battery charge current.

The one spec I cannot see is what is the maximum solar panel power input at 12 and 24 volt battery is? That will differently tell you if it is MPPT or PWM.
    sunkin. myself I buy all american cars. and try not to buy foreign, but If im going to save a few hundred like for this ,I will buy from another country.I drive a cadillac escalade, and have a chev van.
    I dont know why some people just auto maticly say its junk if you buy it from over seas, or if you didn't buy something that was Over priced.
    I was going to buy a Bluesky, or Rouge , but the price difference was way too much.
    John
    and this mppt charge controller has alot of features.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by conntaxman
      I dont know why some people just auto maticly say its junk if you buy it from over seas,
      I am not one of those people. I said being from CHINA makes it very suspect. They do not have a very good track record. China is about where Japan was right after WWII with very poor quality. It took Japan around 25 years to catch up and pass the USA and most other countries.

But answer my question, what voltage and wattage does this so called MPPT/PWM CC have? I do not see it listed in the specs. The answer will tell you if it is MPPT or not. I suspect it is a PWM controller based on the specs I see so far.

Just about every 12/24 PWM charge controller on the market has a maximum Voc of 55 volts. Guess what this controller Max Voc is? 55V. MPPT max is usually 150 Voc.

You might also want to read this thread
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• conntaxman
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2011

your order

Originally posted by tonigau
        Hi John,
        From reading user manual & other information These charge controllers definitely appear to be genuine MPPT. I ordered some & am waiting for delivery. Confirm the temperature sensor is included as it is stated as an option in the manual, it would operate without the sensor. (just to be sure)
        There is an isolated RS232 port on the side of these for data logging. But I am having some trouble getting any detail on the com port & data structure.

>>"Simple it is false advertising. You cannot have a PWM MPPT CC"

I suspect the manufacturer is meaning that they use PWM to control the battery charging after the MPPT stage of their converter. The 3 large electrolytic caps I would assume to be the output bus from the MPPT, then PWM to charge the battery.

I intend to do some testing when I get my SL-40A's so I will let know the results & confirm other detail.

Toni
        tonigau ....did you order them after reading about them when I put up the spec.
        John

Comment

• conntaxman
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2011

mppt

Hi John,
          From reading user manual & other information These charge controllers definitely appear to be genuine MPPT. I ordered some & am waiting for delivery. Confirm the temperature sensor is included as it is stated as an option in the manual, it would operate without the sensor. (just to be sure)
          There is an isolated RS232 port on the side of these for data logging. But I am having some trouble getting any detail on the com port & data structure.

I suspect the manufacturer is meaning that they use PWM to control the battery charging after the MPPT stage of their converter. The 3 large electrolytic caps I would assume to be the output bus from the MPPT, then PWM to charge the battery.

I intend to do some testing when I get my SL-40A's so I will let know the results & confirm other detail.

Toni
          ----------------
          tonigau,,, did you know that you also can parallel these to 80A, 120A
          and so on.
          John
          let me know when you get yours, and I'll do the same

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

----------------
            ...did you know that you also can parallel these to 80A, 120A
            and so on.
            John.....
            Uh, MPPT controllers cannot be paralleled, they will sit and fight each other, trying to get the most out of the panels. Not even the "big" ones can do this, each MPPT controller needs it's own PV array. Another indicator this is only PWM or simple switching controller.

Any battery bank can have several controllers connected to it, and be fed from different sources.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

tonigau,,, did you know that you also can parallel these to 80A, 120A
              and so on.
              Well I am convinced now, the product is a fraud. You cannot parallel MPPT controllers. Case closed.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• conntaxman
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2011

mppt /algorithm

Originally posted by Sunking
                I am not one of those people. I said being from CHINA makes it very suspect. They do not have a very good track record. China is about where Japan was right after WWII with very poor quality. It took Japan around 25 years to catch up and pass the USA and most other countries.

But answer my question, what voltage and wattage does this so called MPPT/PWM CC have? I do not see it listed in the specs. The answer will tell you if it is MPPT or not. I suspect it is a PWM controller based on the specs I see so far.

Just about every 12/24 PWM charge controller on the market has a maximum Voc of 55 volts. Guess what this controller Max Voc is? 55V. MPPT max is usually 150 Voc.

You might also want to read this thread
                The input voltage is over 50 volts

Comment

• conntaxman
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2011

mppt /algorithm

Hi John,

Toni
                  Hello Tony. I just got my email back form Zlpower about the controller. Here it is and it tell's about the "input of Watts"
                  The max watt is 55V for the one we sent to you.And we can make it to 65V by changing another software.But coulst would be usd96 for the controller.

And by watt,there is no limit,you can put any watt to it but make sure the voltage.

How is the garden now?Which step you are in?When will it be ready?

BEST REGARDS
                  Yours,
                  Phylis
                  Shenzhen ZLPOWER Electronics Co.,Ltd.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Hello Tony. I just got my email back form Zlpower about the controller. Here it is and it tell's about the "input of Watts"
                    The max watt is 55V for the one we sent to you.And we can make it to 65V by changing another software.But coulst would be usd96 for the controller.

And by watt,there is no limit,you can put any watt to it but make sure the voltage.

How is the garden now?Which step you are in?When will it be ready?
                    You need to wake up and smell the coffee burning. This proves it is a PWM controller and does not have anything to do with MPPT.

They are flat out lying to you, there is a wattage input limit of 55 volts @ 40 amps = 2200 watts maximum input. If you use a 12 volt battery system means 2200 watts in, and 480 watts out, 78% loss of power. With a 24 volt battery 2200 watts in 960 watts out or 56% loss of power.

The product is a flat out fraud. Only good thing I can say about it is if you use a 2200 watt solar panel array with a 12 volt battery it will make a good space heater or a hot plate to burn your morning coffee for you to smell and wake up to...
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• conntaxman
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2011

Hi John,

Toni

Toni
                      I just got my Mppt controller and by reading the book FAST it dose do the mppt stuff, and It looks like it will handle up to 40 amp input from the panels.
                      Could we hook up a lab top to one of the Looks like phone connections on the side? I thought i read some were it said we could .
                      You should have gotten yours by now also.
                      I still have to make a rack to hold my panels and everything. But I'll try someway to hook it up.
                      Hope to hear from you on this. I'll also will be asking some questions on all the settings for the batteries. lol.
                      I didn't think that this unit would be so large. Didn't look inside yet.
                      John

Comment

• conntaxman
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2011

amp/watts/volts

I know a few will jump all over this one from me. lol but here it goes.with solar panels that are rated 36 cells and each cell puts out 1.8 watts and 3.5 amps. How many panels will make 40 amps ph. oh and im going to say the sun Never changes in this location, but a sunny day , ave. output of sun hummmm alot. lol

Comment

• tonigau
                          • May 2011

Hello John,
                          I've been away playing with a 330KV substation, now that I am back in the real world I can do some playing with 33V.

I received my SL40's a couple of days ago, the build quality looks reasonable considering the cost.
                          I have only briefly looked at the board & may have some error in analysis for now & will correct as find or someone will correct me.
                          All the ingredients are there to do MPPT, freescale HC908 MCU, TL2843 SMPS controller, Large inductor, 3 banks of MOSFETs, analog amplifiers & comparators.
                          The 3 large Electrolytic caps on panel input , smaller Electrolytic next to is these is output cap 4700uF.
                          If it was a "PWM" charger it would not need the large inductor on the input.

The smaller inductor(green core) to the upper right is the common mode noise filter.
                          There are 2 current sense resistors(that I can see) 0.001ohm
                          The 2 fuses soldered into the board are 30A in parallel, These would be only for worst case fault.
                          There is transient over-voltage protection devices(82V MOV ) on the input & output, It is recommended to include primary transient protection in your wiring.

I think ZL power needs to improve its communication in their sales dept as I struggle to get meaningful information when asking questions as you have noticed.
                          Looking at what they say seems like rubbish but I would er on the side of they don't understand what they are saying (in english anyway)

I need to yet obtain detail of the BTS & the communications port.
                          From looking at the board it would appear the serial port is not RS232 voltage levels, so a converter is required to connect up a PC for the data-logging.

I read specifications for this type of product with scepticism until test results & observed confirmation.
                          To do a quick calc say 28V battery, recharging at 40A = 1120W & say 5% waste heat = 56W, the heatsink I estimate would be about 40degC rise.
                          I think if someone has spent k's$ on a KW of solar panels wouldn't skimp on getting a cheap charge controller.
                          I intend to use mine on 500W 36V(MPP) panels I think this SL40A should be well suited for now. It looks easy enough to repair.
                          A specification of 40A does not mean it can charge at 40A continuously, I prefer to operate equipment well below maximum to ensure reliability & longest life.
                          In the railway industry where I work, 40A supply does mean 40A because there is a generous margin built-in & it costs too.

I hope to do some tests this weekend, my variable power supply is broke so I will have to unpack some solar panels & setup but I think there is some rain coming...

Toni
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Tony thanks for the observations. Here is my problem with the unit. If it were a MPPT controller, there would be a maximum wattage input specification vs battery voltage. For a 40 amp 12/24 volt device the input limitations would be

500 watts @ 12 volt Battery
                            1000 watts @ 24 volt Battery

That is not the case as you have observed. The input spec reads like a series PWM or linear regulator with a max input Voc of 55 volts and input current of 40 amps. As with any series voltage regulator INPUT CURRENT = OUTPUT CURRENT roughly minus losses.

All the ingredients are there to do MPPT, freescale HC908 MCU, TL2843 SMPS controller, Large inductor, 3 banks of MOSFETs, analog amplifiers & comparators.
                            The TL2843 is a PWM Comparator that drives the MOSFET switches. I suspect the HC908 PIC is the control for the Comparator

Tony as I think you know the real test is to monitor input and output currents. If they are roughly the same it is not MPPT, rather just plain ole inefficient PWM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• conntaxman
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2011

SL-40 mppt controller

Tony, thanks for the reply.all what you said sounded good,I'm not that smart into electronics as you. So your saying that we cant JUST hook up that ,,,looks like phone jack to a lab top or desk top, that we will need another part?
                              I also didn't have time to hook up like 2 -65 watt x 21 volts to see if it charges at 12 volts and more amp's, then the single panel.
                              Im going to emil them tonight, or hook up skyp and talk to the sale people / girl and ask if I could be put in touch with a person in the other deptment were they figure all this stuff out and give them this link so they could read what you/we are tring to find out.
                              TKS
                              John

Comment

• tonigau
                                • May 2011

John,
                                When I get time I will check the data pins & maybe put the picoscope on the TX pin to see if it is outputting some data on the RJ connector. If it is TTL output then it will definitely require a Dallas chip or some TTL to RS232 converter.
                                It is strange how they have a serial port & mention that it can be used for data-logging but no information on how to use it.

Good luck in your communication. With regards to tech support, the lady has already advised that the persons in this department do not speak english so she will have to translate technical enquiries.

Sunking
                                When I read their manual & specifications I do not get 100% correlation, & some mild conflicting detail anyway. I have learned that specifications can be open to interpretation especially when the detail is a bit vague or not very specific.
                                Also the absence of a spec detail does not always mean is or is not so.
                                If you can wait, I will try to do some tests this weekend & then we can all get some sleep.

>>For a 40 amp 12/24 volt device the input limitations would be
                                >>500 watts @ 12 volt Battery
                                >>1000 watts @ 24 volt Battery

What you say is correct but is a "requirement" would probably be more accurate term than "limitations".

The input power required from the solar panel is a result of the output power + any losses in the converter & cables etc...
                                This is true for both MPP controllers & "PWM" type chargers.
                                Difference is an MPPT charger can increase the energy obtained from the source (SP)
                                by way of reducing its duty cycle (or frequency depending on the topology) to allow the SP to operate at its MPP voltage.

An MPP/MPPT charger is just a switchmode DC-DC converter with an additional control mechanism (usually microcontroller). they typically operate in the "Buck" (step down) mode & this does a current amplification & voltage division function with optimisation of maximum solar panel power(VxA). aka MPPT

>>The TL2843 is a PWM Comparator that drives the MOSFET switches. I suspect the HC908 PIC is the control for the Comparator.

TL2843 is a "current mode PWM controller", definitely not a comparator. This is the DC-DC switchmode controller.
                                There is a comparator IC LM339 & an opamp IC TL074 opn the control board, both these would be to process analog signals for the HC09 inputs

Toni

Comment

Working...