X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reader2580
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

If I somehow end up losing my entire $10,000 investment in solar it wouldn't be the end of the world. I paid cash so I am not dependent on reduced electric bills to cover any sort of debt on my solar. Even if Connexus quit paying for excess consumption at all I would still save at least something from power consumed on-site and not sent to the grid.

I believe the only reason Connexus pays full retail is because state law requires it. Minnesota politics tend to lean very Democratic so I suspect when full retail payment goes away that existing customers will be grandfathered in for a number of years.

Comment

• reader2580
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2017

I finally got the Ethernet cable hooked up to my Solaredge inverters and they have an IP address now. I just need to figure out how to access the data from the inverters. (My solar guy connected the two inverters with RS485 so I only need one Ethernet connection.)

I realized in the process that the inverter has a production meter built-in. I produced 7 MWh so 7,000 KWh since Jan 18, 2018. Obviously, my usage went up pretty substantially over my average usage during my first three years in the house. My production this year from the roof array has been low due to snow. Only 331 KWh for the year so far and just 33 KWh this month. I am guessing I will get minimal or no production from the roof array for at least 10 days until the snow melts. I was shocked that my ground array was producing 1,000 watts this morning even with very heavy cloud cover.

Comment

• CodeeCB
        • Dec 2017

The snow at the beginning of the month has killed pretty much all production for me. I'm tempted to try using a foam roof rake but also don't want to damage the panels. At this point it should start to clear off soon I'm hoping. 1.26MWh for the year and 119KWh for the month. Screenshot_20190217-172911_SolarEdge.jpgScreenshot_20190217-172938_SolarEdge.jpg

Comment

• reader2580
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2017

My 33 KWh for this month was just for the roof array. I went out and checked my ground array and I did 80KWh there so a total of 113 KWh. Still not great. My ground array is at 35 degrees so it is more set up for winter production.

I clear my ground array with a foam roof rake and I am not worried about it. The panels are tempered glass.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by reader2580
            I clear my ground array with a foam roof rake and I am not worried about it. The panels are tempered glass.
            It's not the glass strength that's the problem. The biggest concern is not damaging the ARC on the glazing surface. It's pretty robust but can be damaged by abrasion from rough surfaces or sharp edges. Foam for snow raking or soft cloth for washing usually will not present a problem.
            Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-18-2019, 03:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

........I just need to figure out how to access the data from the inverters. (My solar guy connected the two inverters with RS485 so I only need one Ethernet connection.)
              Did your installer set up your system on the monitoring portal? If so did he give you a link?
              It would look like monitoring.solaredge.com followed by an identifier for your site.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Ampster

Did your installer set up your system on the monitoring portal? If so did he give you a link?
                It would look like monitoring.solaredge.com followed by an identifier for your site.
                since it wasn't set up on monitoring I doubt it was configured. Hopefully he has the optimizer layout.
                OP can create an installer account and configure it himself with the inverter serial numbers though
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• reader2580
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2017

I cleared the overnight snow off my ground mount and it is producing 100% of rated capacity right now as the sun came out.

I finally talked to my solar guy and his recommendation is to create my own installer account with Solaredge just like some of you recommended.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

I finally talked to my solar guy and his recommendation is to create my own installer account with Solaredge just like some of you recommended.
                    I set up an installer account 15 months ago and had to jump through some hoops before they would give it to me. Fortunately I had purchased and installed the inverter myself and that resolved whatever concern he had about me making an end run around an installer. With an installer account you get a lot more detail than the typical owner interface so it is worth pushing for it.

Comment

• reader2580
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2017

I set up an installer account 15 months ago and had to jump through some hoops before they would give it to me. Fortunately I had purchased and installed the inverter myself and that resolved whatever concern he had about me making an end run around an installer. With an installer account you get a lot more detail than the typical owner interface so it is worth pushing for it.
                      It appears if you try to sign up as a system owner they tell you to contact the installer. My installer would help me set up an account, but I want to give it a go myself first.

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

It appears if you try to sign up as a system owner they tell you to contact the installer. My installer would help me set up an account, but I want to give it a go myself first.
                        Exactly my experience. Luckily I had the invoice for the inverter and was able to convince him that I needed an installer account.

Comment

• reader2580
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2017

I bought all my own equipment so I have invoices if need be. For my ground mount the only thing the solar installer did was to hang the inverter and run the wires to it. I needed an electrician as my electrical inspector wouldn't allow a homeowner to install solar. (He retired recently and I think the new inspector is better from what I hear.)

Comment

• foo1bar
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2014

Exactly my experience. Luckily I had the invoice for the inverter and was able to convince him that I needed an installer account.
                            I think when I set up my installer account with solaredge all I needed was an optimizer ID for an optimizer that hadn't already been registered under another installer's account.

I don't recall it even being much of hoops to jump through.

Comment

• reader2580
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2017

Solaredge approved my account after asking me again if I was an installer or not and asking which distributor I get my inverters from. I bought my inverters from a distributor so no issue there.

I need to get the inverters added in this evening.

Comment

• Ampster
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by foo1bar
                                I think when I set up my installer account with solaredge all I needed was an optimizer ID.....

I don't recall it even being much of hoops to jump through.
                                After I registered and before I got the okay, I got an email asking me of this was an owner account or one with multiple installations. Luckily I had another under contract with an installer so I wrote that I was a property management company and wanted to monitor both and future systems under one login. Not much of a hoop to jump through.

Ironically when that other system was installed I then entered its serial number and began tracking it. A few days later I called the installer and asked him why I was getting so much clipping. He asked me where I got my information because they hadn't set up the account. I had to provide them a link so they could see the data.LOL

Comment

Working...