Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want expert comparisson on two batteries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want expert comparisson on two batteries.

Hi. My expected load is about 1000kWh per day. I am going to wire two 100W panels in parallel to a 10 amp current controller, or maybe a 15 or 20 amp in anticipation of a later expansion. I am going to use two batteries in parallel, and a 400W inverter. I live in a sunny southern state (I hope!) and I have a nice unshaded spot in my backyard. I am considering the following two battery models, and I want an expert to please the critic the relative merits. It can be rainy here so I want a second battery for more amp hours, which one shoudl I get two of?
    EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group H8

EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC

My feeling is that the 29DC model is the one I want, because it says "DC=Deep Cycle" but sometimes the manufacturers use tricky model names and I see "cranking amps" instead of "amp hours" for both when I don't really need cranking amps to power my computer.

Originally posted by sevensixtwo View Post
    Hi. My expected load is about 1000kWh per day. I am going to wire two 100W panels in parallel to a 10 amp current controller,.......
    Well, there's your first problem. I hope it's just a typo.

Batteries with cranking amps, are generally not deep cycle batteries..

A pair of 6V Golf Cart batteries in series would give you 12V @ 200AH. You could parallel another series pair and get yourself up to 12V 400ah, with just $400 of golf cart batteries.

2nd problem is 200w of PV is not going to be enough to recharge.

200ah of batteries needs 20A to charge 400ah needs 40A charging current. Think of some Grid tie 300W panels for about the same price and using a MPPT controller

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
    X