X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Nor did I mean to imply you were not aware of what I wrote. FWIW, I believe we're mostly on the same page in these matters. You just sounded a bit defensive is all. But I'd still think being a bit more selective about subs with better supervision of them could pay dividends.

Respectfully,
    We have grown more selective we have dveloped remote supervision methids with required photos and documentation as well as monitoring in the end.
    We have looked at getting employees to minitor the installs but that would be cost prohibitive with any trained person pacabke of noticing oroblems.
    It is rare that we get problems even with new installers now with our procedurs.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

A fourth optimizer went! My vendor replaced this one without charge, what sports.

I emailed SolarEdge, then called them after my case sat without any response for 1 MONTH. They are useless! They said vendors are instructed to recycle the bad optimizers (they can't be refurbished).

Comment

I was seriously considering this exact setup with Seraphim 320 watt panels. Mine will be ground mounted, so maybe not so bad?

Comment

Originally posted by magic8192 View Post
          I was seriously considering this exact setup with Seraphim 320 watt panels. Mine will be ground mounted, so maybe not so bad?
          I'm not an expert on any of this. I love my system when it is 100% working. 4 optimizers (out of 26) over 2.5 years is not right. I'm not impressed with SolarEdge customer support. SolarEdge shared a list of vendors in my area, I may go to that list when optimizer 5 goes. I talked with another local owner (same vendor; SolarEdge setup; running 3 years) and they haven't had a single issue. I'll eventually figure it out

My first call to replace 2 optimizers was: $150 dispatch $150 labor, I bet the labor on a ground system would be less...

Good luck.

Vinny

Comment

Ground mounted will generally be easier to service, so perhaps one strategy would be to order some spares to have on hand. It will also be easier (but expensive) to switch over to a string inverter later, if you are unshaded and the Solaredge issues become too onerous.

Comment

One of the several advantages of ground mounting is some flexibility of location that might allow for minimizing or even eliminating shading. If possible, that may minimize or eliminate the biggest if not the only need for optimizers or micros. A sting inverter will result in fewer potential failure points.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

One of the several advantages of ground mounting is some flexibility of location that might allow for minimizing or even eliminating shading. If possible, that may minimize or eliminate the biggest if not the only need for optimizers or micros. A sting inverter will result in fewer potential failure points.
                The place I have with the most sunlight has a light pole that will shadow the panels. That is why I was considering optimizers.

Comment

Originally posted by vdirico View Post
                  This is my system (located in Massachusetts):

8.51 kWp system installed March 2016

SolarEdge SE7600 Inverter

26 - LG Neon2 315W panels
                  26 - SolarEdge P320 power optimizers

I recently paid $337 labor to replace 2 optimizers (on 7/13/2018; no issues up until then). Yesterday I reported a different optimizer appears to be out (panel 1.2.11 has been reporting 0 production for at least a week). I see the SolarEdge warranty says they won't cover labor cost BUT my research says they have covered it in about half the cases I found/read.

- I'm getting a really bad feeling on the reliability of the optimizers, are they likely to continue causing me pain?
                  - If you had an optimizer replaced (under warranty), were you able to get SolarEdge to cover labor?
                  - I'm guessing my wimp vendor (SunBug Solar) would need to push SolarEdge BUT they gladly take my money. If you've had an optimizer problem and success getting SolarEdge to pay your labor, would you please share some info, maybe even a contact name?

thanks

Vinny
                  If your installer is registered with SolaeEdge they do receive some labor dollars to replace an optomizer. We have installed 1000's of optomizers and had very few failures.

Also with the second phase of NEC2017 Rapid Shutdown coming into effect Jan 1 2019, your only real choices will be micros or optomisers (or some other type of panel shutdown device)

Aney

Comment

The place I have with the most sunlight has a light pole that will shadow the panels. That is why I was considering optimizers.
                    Then, to do a thorough job, you might want to evaluate other locations for the array, or, if not done so already, and assuming one reason you're doing this is to pay less money to get your electricity needs met, recalc the economics at the planned location and to see if PV the reduced output due to reduced input and the extra cost of optimizers that will restore PART (but not all) of that lost production still meets your cost effectiveness criteria.

Usually, a sane economic analysis is one that's done with the goal of finding the most cost effective mix of POCO power and PV and not PV for its own and sole sake. Sometimes, a different location, even one that is somewhat space constrained may produce a better overall ROI even though that location winds up with less annual PV production.

Comment

Originally posted by PVAndy View Post

If your installer is registered with SolaeEdge they do receive some labor dollars to replace an optomizer. We have installed 1000's of optomizers and had very few failures.

Also with the second phase of NEC2017 Rapid Shutdown coming into effect Jan 1 2019, your only real choices will be micros or optomisers (or some other type of panel shutdown device)

Aney
                      Thanks for the info!

Vinny

Comment

The Rapid Shutdown only applies to Roof Top installs. Pole and ground mounts do not require rapid shutdown as I recall, so string inverters are still well suited for them
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                          The Rapid Shutdown only applies to Roof Top installs. Pole and ground mounts do not require rapid shutdown as I recall, so string inverters are still well suited for them
                          I have to go read the NEC to see what is allowed but I am thinking about using my metal RV shelter to mount solar panels. It should be cheaper then a ground mount and the shelter faces due South.
                          Attached Files

Comment

For the comments I think the optimizer is not so viable. I have questions about how it works, as SolarMagic, for example, can be used with any inverter. So how do you control these optimizers? Can they read the neighbor's voltage and current?

Comment

Originally posted by paoman View Post
                              For the comments I think the optimizer is not so viable. I have questions about how it works, as SolarMagic, for example, can be used with any inverter. So how do you control these optimizers? Can they read the neighbor's voltage and current?
                              Sounds a little paranoid if you think an optimizer on your home pv system can read your neighbor's pv system data.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Sounds a little paranoid if you think an optimizer on your home pv system can read your neighbor's pv system data.
                                Neighbors that I speak of are the optimizers in series. If they read the voltage and current data between them. In case of solaredge, this is done by the central inverter. But, I do not know for other cases like solarmagic.

Comment

Working...
                                X