X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking

There is also another loss not accounted for with PV and EV's and are robbing the public blind. PV users do not pay energy taxes, and EV users do not pay fuel taxes and free-loading using the roads and not paying for it. Goberment knows about it and about to put a stop to it. No free lunch.
    Kind of like the way families with a lot of kids don't pay additional school taxes and also get to lower their federal income tax burden by having a lot of kids ?

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by peakbagger
      Interesting that CA is going to require PV on all new housing by 2020. Wonder if it will get to the point were folks will intentionally disconnect the PV to avoid the charges from the local utilities?
      Dumb move. Anyone remember the tax credits for solar water heaters in the 1970s? There are tens of thousands of useless solar collectors sitting on roofs around here from that. "Free" solar hot water meant that no one really cared if it worked or not - after all, it wasn't your money.

Comment

• azdave
        • Oct 2014

...state utility regulators allow the POCO's to jack up electric rates to cover the losses incurred.
        For instance losses incurred because they give the already highly compensated executives free out-of-state tuition for all their kids? They even paid $75K to a single lobbyist for his kid's schooling. That lobbyist makes $400K a year from SRP but SRP customers get to cover his kids tuition too?

I supposed it's true that the CEO of SRP can barely afford college tuition since he only makes $1.04 million per year. Maybe we should start a "Gofundme" page to help him out.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by azdave

For instance losses incurred because they give the already highly compensated executives free out-of-state tuition for all their kids? They even paid $75K to a single lobbyist for his kid's schooling. That lobbyist makes $400K a year from SRP but SRP customers get to cover his kids tuition too?

I supposed it's true that the CEO of SRP can barely afford college tuition since he only makes $1.04 million per year. Maybe we should start a "Gofundme" page to help him out.

Your state is not alone when it comes to highly paid PUC commisioners. The ones in Fl have been in lock step with the POCO's for years.

Funny thing is that somehow someone got our PUC to agree to Solar Leases. Before that you could only sell power to the POCO's.

On the flip side we are now open to all kinds of sleazy solar companies that will get the unknowing to "lease" a solar pv system weather they can afford it or not.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Your state is not alone when it comes to highly paid PUC commisioners. The ones in Fl have been in lock step with the POCO's for years.

Funny thing is that somehow someone got our PUC to agree to Solar Leases. Before that you could only sell power to the POCO's.

On the flip side we are now open to all kinds of sleazy solar companies that will get the unknowing to "lease" a solar pv system weather they can afford it or not.
            The big lease companies probably got to them.

(Or caught the PUC chairman in flagrante delicto with a sheep and got a picture of it.)

Comment

• Kendalf
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by jflorey2
              Dumb move. Anyone remember the tax credits for solar water heaters in the 1970s? There are tens of thousands of useless solar collectors sitting on roofs around here from that. "Free" solar hot water meant that no one really cared if it worked or not - after all, it wasn't your money.
              I haven't read anything in the articles on the mandatory PV requirements that suggests that the cost of the PV system will be compensated. One of the main concerns being raised is that this mandate would simply raise the cost of housing in CA even higher than it already is.

Comment

• jflorey2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Kendalf
                One of the main concerns being raised is that this mandate would simply raise the cost of housing in CA even higher than it already is.
                Yep, that will be one of the many unintended side effects. Another will be new behaviors that seek to get around the law to gain a market advantage.

Currently there are ways to get around the law - when the homes are shaded by trees or structures, or when the roof is too small to fit a minimal solar power system, then you don't have to install solar. So look for new bizarre-looking homes that minimize roof area, or have crenelations and dormers that leave no flat space for solar. Also look for tree services that will charge a premium to plant 30 foot trees in the yard before construction is completed.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Kendalf

I haven't read anything in the articles on the mandatory PV requirements that suggests that the cost of the PV system will be compensated. One of the main concerns being raised is that this mandate would simply raise the cost of housing in CA even higher than it already is.
                  As well as being seen as an attempt to cram something down people's throats whether they're R.E. fans or not. Lots of folks don't cotton to that, even if it's a good thing (and I'm not necessarily saying it is).

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

As well as being seen as an attempt to cram something down people's throats whether they're R.E. fans or not. Lots of folks don't cotton to that, even if it's a good thing (and I'm not necessarily saying it is).
                    I believe a couple of cities on the East coast of FL are looking into legislature that would mandate a solar pv installation on all new homes regardless of the size and shape.

Basically "if you build a home you will have RE power generation for it or else"

It looks like their attempt to go 100% RE by year xxxx or for some other politically stupid reason.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

I believe a couple of cities on the East coast of FL are looking into legislature that would mandate a solar pv installation on all new homes regardless of the size and shape.

Basically "if you build a home you will have RE power generation for it or else"

It looks like their attempt to go 100% RE by year xxxx or for some other politically stupid reason.
                      In the in likely event I was going to mandate anything, it would be more along the lines of solar friendly or suntempered building design. If nothing else doing so would help mask the reasons for changes in designs that might better sidestep some of the more combative results of what may be felt as proscriptive mandates. Sort of parentally B.S.ing folks into what's probably good for them in spite of themselves. Happens all the time anyway, good or bad.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Yep, that will be one of the many unintended side effects.
                        It is not unintended, it is deliberate. You would have to be a fool to believe otherwise. Likje HOA's is a perfect way to keep trailer trash out of your neighborhood.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

It is not unintended, it is deliberate. You would have to be a fool to believe otherwise.
                          You have far more faith in the intelligence of politicians than I do.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

You have far more faith in the intelligence of politicians than I do.
                            No especially CA democrat politicians. Last thing they want is their voters living anywhere near them.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

No especially CA democrat politicians. Last thing they want is their voters living anywhere near them.
                              Like I said, you have far more faith in the intelligence of politicians than I do. I am a firm believer in Hanlon's Razor.

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Like I said, you have far more faith in the intelligence of politicians than I do. I am a firm believer in Hanlon's Razor.
                                I thought it was called Occams Razor. But I also agree the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Ignore my first sentence. I looked up what Hanlon's Razor was and it is better applied to the situation.
                                Last edited by SunEagle; 05-09-2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...