Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecticut looking to end net metering.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we agree its only about ROI, we could just go to coal. Eventually pollution will rise so high that the
    population and pollution will stabilize. Cancel expensive health care of course.

If that isn't an agreeable solution, we need to work out something else. Money would be spent on
    R & D, some of it "wasted", hopefully not at an intolerable level. Imagine the comments probably
    made about money wasted when attempts were made to develop the first steam engine, car,
    airplane, or transistor.

I do get tired of wild claims made on all sides trying to justify their particular position. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodsEE View Post

I'm at around 48 degrees N latitude, and my array is tilted 45 degrees. But that still can't do anything about the non-negligible attenuation from the atmosphere at low solar elevation angles. You only get 60-70% (more at higher altitude) of 90-degree zenith insolation when the sun is at 18 degrees above the horizon, even if your panels are still perpendicular to the sun.
      And, as I wrote, another reason among many why flat plate solar applications are seen in somewhat inverse proportion to the latitude of a location.

Also, how do you know that difference is 60 - 70 % ? Have you measured it ?

As for atmospheric attenuation, it's a lot more complicated than that as I've learned from being a student of the subject for 40+years and cut my R.E. teeth at 43 deg. lat. in a 7,000+ F. DD climate.

I remember back in the '70's when I began this solar odyssey being a bit surprised that 12/21 solar noon irradiance measurements with a hand held silicon pyranometer commonly saw normal (perpendicular) irradiance readings of around 900W/m^2, and summer solstice solar noon measurements with the same instrument and same method/procedure commonly produced readings of about 950-970 W/m^2. Not exactly scientific precision, but done a lot of times with the same instrument in the same way over many years.

The atmosphere is a lot different winter to summer, a lot dryer and usually cleaner in winter, as is the sun-earth distance and several other things.

Comment

Working...
      X