Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8400w Grid Tie System - Kit or piece it together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading the code book online and also have the help of a certified electrician (the guy who is doing all my meter base/main upgrades since the tree incident).

The AHJ gave me the specific codes that I'd need to meet and links to online sources to read up on it. He's a pretty good guy.

Hopefully, my equipment will be shipping out next week. Our new 400a service is being started on today. They are currently setting up the meter base.

Comment

Slowly making progress. Electrical service has been updated and is ready to run. All of my components have shipped... I'll have the inverter Tuesday and the rest is coming in on truck-line later in the week. Anyways... some pictures of the electrical upgrades...

Fleet of electricians and POCO workers...
      IMG_20180410_095531790 by acidburn02zts, on Flickr

Big boy cable going in ground from pole to house...
      IMG_20180410_104404213 by acidburn02zts, on Flickr

Trenching new service to the shop (where the panels/inverter will be located).
      IMG_20180410_094642196 by acidburn02zts, on Flickr

400a meter base with 2 - 200a service disconnects (1 feeding 2 - 100a breakers for shop and rear hvac)
      IMG_20180410_112934972 by acidburn02zts, on Flickr

All buttoned up and signed off on by the AHJ. The service pole that can be seen is now gone.
      IMG_20180410_143752189 by acidburn02zts, on Flickr

New massive transformer. Don't mind the leaning pole.... Apparently the POCO doesn't.
      IMG_20180410_143812335_HDR by acidburn02zts, on Flickr

Ive become pretty good friends with the electricians. He's going to stop back by next week after I hook up the inverter and take a peak at everything I do to make sure I wont have any issues with the AHJ (and suggest changes if I need to make any.)

More to come!!

Comment

That bare, untreated wood your load center is on, is that going to be corrected, or just left to rot in the weather ?
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          That bare, untreated wood your load center is on, is that going to be corrected, or just left to rot in the weather ?
          Its pressure treated that the electricians used.. Not just plain pine or what have you. Hard to tell in the picture. I will be painting it in the near future either way so it doesn't stand out as much.
          Last edited by Mr4btTahoe; 04-13-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
            That's the difficult part in all of this... for an average joe to figure out what code applies to what situation and how to pass it. I'm always willing to learn and to take the time to do things right.
            I'd highly recommend buying a paperback copy of the newest applicable NEC. My copy of NEC 2017 is full of tabs marking relevant passages. For the most part, I actually found it helpful and its rules sensible. I've even found myself consulting it for things where I knew an inspector wasn't going to nitpick, just because I've come to respect its guidance.

Except for arc-fault circuit breakers. That part is a travesty no doubt entirely due to lobbying by circuit breaker manufacturers.

EDIT: I see that you've progressed well beyond the research phase. Good for you! I'm leaving this comment for others, though.

Comment

Indeed... I believe I've got a good grasp on what codes I'll need to meet however, I've decided to keep an electrician involved just to keep an eye on my work. The AHJ is a good guy and is willing to show me what is needed, but I would prefer a pass the first go around. Lol

Comment

Don't show that picture of the conduit in sections over the wire to the inspector ... not a legal way to do it. Check your NEC, wire must be pulled in complete conduit system.

Comment

Originally posted by gbynum View Post
                  Don't show that picture of the conduit in sections over the wire to the inspector ... not a legal way to do it. Check your NEC, wire must be pulled in complete conduit system.
                  Right, everybody does it, but do not take pictures. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                    Right, everybody does it, but do not take pictures. Bruce Roe
                    Not quite everybody. I pulled 150 feet of 3/4" thick cable (10/9) through fully assembled conduit with a little help from the forks on my tractor. Wind the tape around a fork, pull the forks up a couple of feet, wind the newly emerged bit of tape around the fork, repeat. Over and over again. Felt pretty good when the end of the cable finally came up out of the pipe.

The thought of trying to screw those 10-foot lengths of IMC together with that cable flopping around inside and dirt getting everywhere makes me cringe.

Comment

• Originally posted by BackwoodsEE View Post
                      Not quite everybody. I pulled 150 feet of 3/4" thick cable (10/9) through fully assembled conduit with a little help from the forks on my tractor. Wind the tape around a fork, pull the forks up a couple of feet, wind the newly emerged bit of tape around the fork, repeat. Over and over again. Felt pretty good when the end of the cable finally came up out of the pipe.
                      Right, "everybody" is just an expression and not literally true. Cable pulling grease has really helped me
                      get it done. But when you have a very long run with right angles at the ends, it certainly is easier to get
                      the long pull in and then pop the angle end pieces on last, as I have seen done. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Right, "everybody" is just an expression and not literally true. Cable pulling grease has really helped me
                        get it done. But when you have a very long run with right angles at the ends, it certainly is easier to get
                        the long pull in and then pop the angle end pieces on last, as I have seen done. Bruce Roe
                        I have found that the "blue" pulling gel is better then the "yellow" if you need to remove an existing wire from the bundle and pull in a new one. For some reason the "yellow" gel sets up after a while and acts almost like glue inside the pipe.

Comment

• Good information. That portion has already been passed and I'll keep the pictures in my personal stock. Lol

Comment

• Have a couple questions. I'm a bit confused on grounding.

I was planning on running bare #6 between the 2 ground lugs on the IronRidge rack system (integrated grounding system).. then back directly to the ground rod. However, I'm seeing in several places that state it needs to go back to the inverter - disconnect - main panel - ground rod.

Else where I read that both should be done. 2 ground runs... one back directly to the rod for lighting protection and one back to the other components.

690.47 states an additional grounding electrode is required at the location of the array for lighting protection.

Can someone clarify exactly what is required per code?

I've also seen some mention of grounding one of the DC conductors from the array... which doesn't make sense to me. The manual for the inverter says nothing of the sort.

Do I need another ground rod even though there is one already at the location? Do I need 2 ground conductors from the rack system (one directly to the electrode, the other back to the EGC lug of the inverter, disconnect, etc..?

Thanks for any clarification you can give.

Comment

• Ok... have the system side figured out. Still not sure if a secondary ground rod for lightning protection is required or if I need to run a second ground conductor from the array to the ground rod that is already there (easier path for lightning strike then having to pass through all of the equipment).

Comment

• Any metal structure (mounting rails, PV frames, ground mount posts) require a lightning protection ground. If you anchor a 20' piece of rebar into the concrete forms and bring 6" out, that can become a UFER or Concrete Encased Ground, check on your local codes for specific reqjuirements
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                                X