X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
    You are saying, its just a sloppy tolerance unit, not much to brag about. So why would the PoCo
    want that? Undo their standards?
    The inverter is capable of being told what to do from a remote server. So not just "sloppy tolerance unit".

Comment

• azdave
      • Oct 2014

I have an advanced (smart?) inverter that was installed by my POCO only a few months after my system went live. I'm told it has the ability to help them stabilize the grid as opposed to just disconnecting itself when there is trouble. I think they have several hundred installed around the city. I agreed to the install for the free ABB inverter plus close to $400 in billing credits for allowing them access.

"Whereas traditional inverters are programmed to shut off during disturbances on the electrical grid, advanced inverters can continue to operate and even assist in smoothing out an increasingly variable grid."
      Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• blueman2
        • Sep 2019

Anyone have experience with recent PGE PTO times? Contractor submitted paperwork 2-1/2 weeks ago, we got all the replies from PGE we would expect, asking me to fill out some online docusign forms, etc. Contractor says all was submitted and nothing outstanding. But 18 days later not a peep from PGE. Is there any way to check status? PGE is refusing any calls right now due to power outages. I have scanned my online account details for any sign of changes but see nothing obvious.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

When you power up for a test, does your meter slow down, reverse, or speed up? If you have a smart meter, it needs to be reprogrammed because they normally count all power as consumed power. They download new software into the meter, and then it will unwind when you are pushing power into the grid.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• blueman2
            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
            When you power up for a test, does your meter slow down, reverse, or speed up? If you have a smart meter, it needs to be reprogrammed because they normally count all power as consumed power. They download new software into the meter, and then it will unwind when you are pushing power into the grid.
            I ran it for a day to see how it worked, and it did make the meter LED go backwards (I little underscore under the readout goes left to right when I import/use power, right to left when I export power). And several days later, I could see on my hourly power usage from their website that I had zero usage shown from 10am - 6pm when the system was on. Oddly, the total KWHrs did go down on my meter, but PGE did show that negative KWHrs anywhere on the daily usage graph.

I have heard from 2 neighbors that they never heard back from PGE with PTO, but they left their system on the full time and after about 5 days was able to see negative power readings on the graph indicating NEMS was active. They are on solar billing, but never a PTO. I wish there was a more clear way to see when PGE activates NEMS, since their PTO notifications are not reliable.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by blueman2

I ran it for a day to see how it worked, and it did make the meter LED go backwards (I little underscore under the readout goes left to right when I import/use power, right to left when I export power). And several days later, I could see on my hourly power usage from their website that I had zero usage shown from 10am - 6pm when the system was on. Oddly, the total KWHrs did go down on my meter, but PGE did show that negative KWHrs anywhere on the daily usage graph.

I have heard from 2 neighbors that they never heard back from PGE with PTO, but they left their system on the full time and after about 5 days was able to see negative power readings on the graph indicating NEMS was active. They are on solar billing, but never a PTO. I wish there was a more clear way to see when PGE activates NEMS, since their PTO notifications are not reliable.
              My experience in a similar situation over 15 months while waiting for my PTO was that the meter reports the generation from your system but the billing system does not reflect any generation until the PTO is issued. The billing did not change until the next cycle so for some it could be as long as 30 days. During that time I developed some workarounds to charge my EVs with solar and cool down my house. Fortunately I had devices that I could monitor and adjust remotely but it was a pain to do that to save $0.50 per kWh.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Iamsteve
                • Oct 2019

Originally posted by mweighall
                Short version of long story.

A buddy of mine who is a professional installer helped me put a 10kw system on my roof. Turns out my city required a complete rapid shut down. I faked a rapid shut down box that was made by Fronius to be 'compatible' with my Fronius IG Plus inverter which cost me $200. I also installed an aftermarket rapid shut down that cost me $900.

The city bought it, the install is SUPER clean and the inspector said so. Kudos to my buddy for doing a good job.

I apply to PG&E on October ~5th. Now they say my inverter is not a compatible "Smart inverter" and I need to get a new inverter $3,000, and resubmit to the city and get them to sign off it then I can submit to PG&E for PTO.

I've been running the system for 5 months anyway. its producing like 30kw per day. PGE is showing on my bill that I am getting a bill credit for ALL the electricity being produced even though I have not been given PTO or put on a NEM. Frankly i don't care paying monthly as long as I get a bill credit.

Choice #1 - Buy the $3,000 inverter, submit to the city again, get legal

Choice #2 - let it it right and get the system 'legal' and submit to PGE before I sell the house so I don't leave a problem for the next guy but NOT be out like $4,000 right now.

Any opinions? Or Comments?
                Are you in California mweiighhhall, what area?

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Iamsteve

Are you in California mweiighhhall, what area?
                  We may not hear back from mwelihgthall because he hasn't posted since 2018. I would have been interesting to see how he resolved his dilemma.
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...