X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fraiserdon
    • Sep 2021

I know this is old but has someone hired a cleaning company for this? I'm thinking of cleaning it by myself but also thinking about hiring a cleaning company. Like, is it worth the money? I don't want to waste them on something that I can do by myself. I mean, I work hard for my money, I'm not going to waste them AT ALL, haha. Anyway, if you're doing this by yourself, what tips can you give for a beginner?
    So, I hope that somebody will see this and will respond. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Moderator note: Please don't put advertising links in posts
    Last edited by sdold; 12-02-2021, 10:31 AM. Reason: removed ad link

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by fraiserdon
      I know this is old but has someone hired a cleaning company for this?
      There are always outfits who will take money from fools.

For the most part, the effects of cleaning will last about 4-6 weeks without rain, will cost more $$ than it will save by improved performance, and may cause damage to your roof.

Read through the thread for an education and then make your own choice.

Comment

• AmitBajpayee
        Banned
        • Jun 2017

For the effective benefits of solar panels, it is extremely important to clean them on regular basis. Dust particles and other irrelevant things present on the solar panel highly reduce the efficiency of the solar panels. Hence it is an ideal practice to keep their maintenance on high priority.

While cleaning the solar panel surface the care should be taken as its surface is made up of photovoltaic glass and should be handled with care. Make sure you do not use harmful objects like brushes and pointed needles it may harm the solar panel.

You can make use of dedicated liquid and sponges to clean the solar panel surface.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by AmitBajpayee
          For the effective benefits of solar panels, it is extremely important to clean them on regular basis. Dust particles and other irrelevant things present on the solar panel highly reduce the efficiency of the solar panels. Hence it is an ideal practice to keep their maintenance on high priority.

While cleaning the solar panel surface the care should be taken as its surface is made up of photovoltaic glass and should be handled with care. Make sure you do not use harmful objects like brushes and pointed needles it may harm the solar panel.

You can make use of dedicated liquid and sponges to clean the solar panel surface.
          You sound (read) like one of those academic types (too) long on classroom/textbook learning and/or at least very short on real world and experiential working knowledge.

You ever been on a roof and cleaned an array ?

You ever monitor and measure actual, working array performance or array fouling rates ?

I've done a lot of both.

Some of what you write may make sense in an academic no brainer way, but it's not entirely on the mark and so general as to be misleading.

It's important to keep an array clean but in a more relative and case/case basis and for reasons additional to array production itself.

Some other comments:

"Extremely" is not a word I'd use in that context unless I wanted to incite uncertainty and/or fear in the uneducated.
          I'd suggest that dust particles are anything but irrelevant.
          "highly reduce the efficiency" is, IMO, a high exaggeration. and anyway, since array fouling rates are highly site, orientation and weather dependent, that may or may not be accurate. It's too general a statement.
          BTW, most needles do come to a point.
          Dedicated liquids and sponges may make sense, but it seems more important to me to describe the characteristics of those materials. Soft cloth, decent dish soap and plain old tap water work just fine. Fancy materials are a con.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AmitBajpayee
            For the effective benefits of solar panels, it is extremely important to
            clean them on regular basis.
            Some of us who live where it actually rains, never clean our panels. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe

Some of us who live where it actually rains, never clean our panels. Bruce Roe
              As I wrote, some of what was written was so general as to be off the mark.

Comment

• heimdm
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2019

The first step is to wash your car... that should almost guarantee it rains.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by heimdm
                  The first step is to wash your car... that should almost guarantee it rains.
                  +1 !

Comment

• Ward L
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2014

It does not rain much here. About 4" in the last year. We do get fog, which is close to rain, but not quite the same as it could actually attract dirt. I cleaned two of my 40 x 250W panels after 7 months of service and could not measure an improvement. I have not cleaned all of my panels since they were installed in May 2014, only the two panels in December 2014. I track peak solar production monthly of the panels thinking total production for a month will be dependent upon cloud cover, fog, etc. Peak production will reflect panel efficiency better. Over the 7 years of no cleaning, the peak solar production has dropped 2.8%/year. If panels decline 1% a year due to ageing, I have 1.8% a year due to fouling. My Enphase software says I am at 99% of estimated production and have generated lifetime 124.5 MWh which sounds pretty good, but I recall Enphase calculating I was well above expected generation when the panels were new. If I did my math correctly, on average I would be saving about $300/year if my panels were clean and I only suffered the 1%/year decline. This says in my most recent year of production, I have lost about $500 in electrons due to dirty panels. Meaning, if I cleaned the panels, I would gain $500 of increased production. This is based on 28 cents/kWh. My rooftop install is NOT easy to clean, but I think I could get them cleaned for less than $500 producing a pretty good payback. My point is you have to have high electricity rates and cheap cleaning costs to be cleaning panels very often. I should get my panels cleaned and see if I have a 10% bump in production. Obviously, everyone's situation is different due to dust accumulation, ease of cleaning and costs.

Comment

• scrambler
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2019

Install a sprinkler system on the roof top

Comment

• Zardiw
                        • Nov 2015

Mine are ground accessible, so I just hose them off periodically. I used to sqeegie them afterwards, but I have found that over the years, they somehow just sheet off the water without beading, so there are no deposits formed...

I have also tried various coatings like ceramic for cars, but they tend to bead up water.

z

Comment

• silversaver
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2013

I stop washing the panel about 5 years ago. Just wait for rain to clean them up. I do not find the extra production with clean panels over the time and effort spent. If you really want to clean the panels if easy access for you, then maybe twice per year is the most I'll ever do.

Comment

• Zardiw
                            • Nov 2015

That's fine if you live in an area with halfway decent rain fall.
                            I live in Palm Springs..........where rain is RARE...
                            And you wouldn't believe how much crap gets deposited..........lol
                            And it DOES have an effect on output.........think about it.

z

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

The problem here has been trees dripping some sap onto several panels. I
                              did not find anything that would remove sap, but taking it down and scraping
                              with a blade gave full recovery. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike 134
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2022

Originally posted by bcroe
                                The problem here has been trees dripping some sap onto several panels. I
                                did not find anything that would remove sap, but taking it down and scraping
                                with a blade gave full recovery. Bruce Roe
                                I use alcohol to remove pine tar from the truck's paint, in a pinch hand sanitizer with 70% alcohol works.

Comment

Working...