Electric panel with 2 mains, but not split single phase. Perplexed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kny View Post

So you're saying if I looked at Enphase 3-phase cable that the plugs are different for the drops. That while the trunk cable has L1-L2-L3, that each drop has only 2 connections and these alternate L1-L2, L1-L3, L2-L3. Rather than that all drops have L1-L2-L3 and something is telling the micro which to output into. Interesting. And logical. It never occurred to me. I just assumed all drops were identical and had all of L1-L2-L3.

In that case, I don't see why this system would not operate with grid voltage of 220 +/- and 127 +/- both reasonably within 240v tolerance ranges. Enphase says range is 211 - 264 and 108 - 132, and they opened it up even more from there.
    Are you using the Envoy to communicate with them? It looks like you can set the grid profile, and can select / verify that the 208 V settings are correct.

http://enphase.com/sites/default/fil...eration_NA.pdf

page 41.

If that is all set up right, I would strongly encourage you to measure line voltage when as many of the inverters are operating as possible. If voltage has moved significantly from what it was with zero inverters, your grid connection may not like being unbalanced and/or may not be able to accept the power you are trying to feed.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, Envoy communicates. I got to this step of determining the grid profile needed to be adjusted and called Enphase because a Change Token is needed to do it. That's where they claimed to have done it remotely, but could not / would not tell me specifically what settings were changed from and to. It did have an effect, however, as 8 panels started reporting as producing.

To bcroe. Thanks for the screenshots from the manual. Obviously this service is 208 V Delta / 120 Wye, with only L1, L2, N accessible in the main service panel. You are saying that with Fronius IG+ if I simply wire AC Out to L1, L2, N, G and leave L3 vacant, identical to how 240/120 V split phase would be wired, that this will work. Is there any means to tell the inverter that this is 208 V Delta / 120 Wye service so as to adjust acceptable voltage range? If not, how does the inverter differentiate this install from the typical residential 240/120 V split phase install?

Comment

If not, how does the inverter differentiate this install from the typical residential 240/120 V split phase install?
        You had asked about Solaredge earlier... It has a grid configuration setting almost identical to what you've done with Enphase. I wouldn't be confident recommending you try it until you get a better handle on why the other microinverters are not happy. Does the envoy report any errors for those different than the 8 that work?
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

To bcroe. Thanks for the screenshots from the manual. Obviously this service is 208 V Delta / 120 Wye, with only L1, L2, N accessible in the main service panel. You are saying that with Fronius IG+ if I simply wire AC Out to L1, L2, N, G and leave L3 vacant, identical to how 240/120 V split phase would be wired, that this will work. Is there any means to tell the inverter that this is 208 V Delta / 120 Wye service so as to adjust acceptable voltage range? If not, how does the inverter differentiate this install from the typical residential 240/120 V split phase install?
          When this inverter is installed, there is a set up procedure from the manual that must be used to
          select the mode. As I recall both voltage monitors are set to default range for the mode selected.

HOWEVER don't make a mistake, because to go back for changes requires a "secret" installer
          password. Fortunately my installer DID make a mistake, and used the password to correct a
          setup error. I was right beside him, carefully copying the password down. This access allows
          changing many default settings, such as restart delay and voltage monitor limits.

The password turned out to be useful solving some issues a year later. And for an external DC
          disconnect switch, I highly recommend 2 poles to break both wires. Breaking just the positive
          hot wire can result in blowing the inverter GFI fuse while working on the array, highly inconvenient.
          Bruce Roe

Comment

Oops, sorry sensij and bcroe, I did not have any notifications that there had been replies to this thread and only just came back here now for a final update. Thank you both (and others) for your input throughout.

End result is that with new grid parameters set the system is working fine. I do not know why the prior grid parameter update (which was pushed remotely by enphase vs this one which I managed directly from admin console of envoy box) failed, or more precisely worked on 8 of 26 panels only. But, after applying a new grid parameter update to the "SAM-60-120-1304 ver. 2" grid profile, all 26 panels are operating without error.

Interestingly (or not) the exposed L1 and L2 phases are pretty unbalanced, or at least are as of this latest measurement, coming in at a whopping 130 volts and 125 volts, with the L1-L2 voltage at 218. The new SAM-60-120-1304 profile has the upper limit at 144 vs the default at 132, which I'm guessing was the core of the problem. If there is actual measurement and tripping based on 211-264 range for L1-L2, there seem to be no parameters to set that, so my suspicion is all range checking is on single L1-N and L2-N tests.

Anyway, thanks all for the assistance. Happy to be up and running here finally.

Comment

Oops, sorry sensij and bcroe, I did not have any notifications that there had been replies to this thread and only just came back here now for a final update. Thank you both (and others) for your input throughout.

End result is that with new grid parameters set the system is working fine. I do not know why the prior grid parameter update (which was pushed remotely by enphase vs this one which I managed directly from admin console of envoy box) failed, or more precisely worked on 8 of 26 panels only. But, after applying a new grid parameter update to the "SAM-60-120-1304 ver. 2" grid profile, all 26 panels are operating without error.

Interestingly (or not) the exposed L1 and L2 phases are pretty unbalanced, or at least are as of this latest measurement, coming in at a whopping 130 volts and 125 volts, with the L1-L2 voltage at 218. The new SAM-60-120-1304 profile has the upper limit at 144 vs the default at 132, which I'm guessing was the core of the problem. If there is actual measurement and tripping based on 211-264 range for L1-L2, there seem to be no parameters to set that, so my suspicion is all range checking is on single L1-N and L2-N tests.

Anyway, thanks all for the assistance. Happy to be up and running here finally.
              Hi kny -

Have you been able to get the measurement corrected in your Envoy since your last post?

I have installed a similar Enphase-based system as yours any my utility is also 208/120v which is causing my Production readings to be out of balance due to the 120 degree phase difference between L1 and L2. Enphase support sad that the Envoy measures production based on an assumption that there is a 180 degree difference between phases as in a typical 240/120 service. They also said that there is an internal setting that they would push to the Envoy in addition to the SAM-60-120-1304 ver. 2 grid profile. So far no change. Any chance the toolkit installer password still works so I can look around?

Comment

Working...
              X