No announcement yet.

Letter from SDG&E Regarding new TOU time period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Sensij, I was about to put relays and over-rides on my car charger to day-charge if sunny, night charge if not. What PG&E should do is use various examples of scenarios under the different plans to explain the schedules. For the life of me, I could not figure it out. If I ran the numbers in an example, I would do much better. Now I need to model if the EV car plan is worthwhile!

Comment

Newbie in SDG&E asking for your advice.

I am currently on EV-TOU2 as I have an EV which I charge super off peak or mostly off peak and am not home in weekdays. I just signed a contract to begin solar installation but it likely will not have PTO before early next year, probably Feb.

I received a letter from SDG&E that my TOU periods *will* be changing next week on Dec 1st. Previously the 12-6pm peak seemed ideal for me to go solar with a large price difference half the year, but now it's far worse, and I may be home and use electricity from 6-9 most days. In addition, the SDG&E website says I cannot change my rate plan until the 1 year of selecting EV-TOU2 is up, which is 6/23/2018.

So then, what is the best rate & negotiation strategy for SDG&E for me? Assuming I get PTO before the 3/31 next year deadline, can I go back to the 12-6pm time period and keep it for 5 years? If not, what should I do? Can I switch to tiered DR even before my 1 year is up with EVTOU because I am starting solar?

I looked at the DR-SES rate structure and despite being called out for solar energy, it looked lousy for me, as the peak rates would be when I would be using more and generating less. But the TOU-DR rate seemed like it might be better---because I would generate enough power to keep any net demand (or likely surplus) under my baseline. But I have not seen anybody discuss the use of TOU-DR with solar and I've done lots of Googling. The on-peak is about 5 cents more than the off peak, whereas on DR-SES the difference is much larger. The numbers are high with TOU-DR?

I guess more questions: how does the interaction of the baseline credit along with a TOU rate work? Is the baseline applied to net consumption, or gross consumption?

Can anybody go through an example of how it's actually computed? I've never seen an example of a TOU plus tiers combined. What happens if I am a net generator? And finally, how does it work with the minimum daily bill? Does it mean that any day that I produce more than consume (in dollar terms), I am charged an extra 33 cents? Is this taken off my generation credit for that day, or accounted for differently? Can I use the production credits to offset this at the end of the year? I know extra kWh are reimbursed at a pathetically low rate. Suppose though I am at 0 kWh net at end of year but have a credit because I generated at higher rates than I consumed. Can the remaining credit roll over to compensate for future consumption?

http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/3130-E-A.pdf

http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/3130-E.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DrChaos View Post
        So then, what is the best rate & negotiation strategy for SDG&E for me? Assuming I get PTO before the 3/31 next year deadline, can I go back to the 12-6pm time period and keep it for 5 years? If not, what should I do? Can I switch to tiered DR even before my 1 year is up with EVTOU because I am starting solar?
        All good questions. I think you should call SDG&E and ask them, as no one else can do anything but speculate at this point. I don't even know if tiered is going to continue to be an option for much longer. I switched to DR-SES before the NEM 1.0 grandfathering deadline so all I'm sure of is that I'll have the old TOU schedule until 2021; after that who knows?

I looked briefly at how to compute a bill with tier+TOU and gave up in confusion. In theory the SDG&E website would allow you to compare pricing on different plans based on past usage, but I don't think it works if you aren't eligible to switch plans.

Comment

I've run numbers on TOU-DR, but it was never competitive with the mid-day peak TOU offered by DR-SES and EV-TOU-2. It might be worth dusting that spreadsheet off now, to see how it compares to the new hours. The baseline is applied to net consumption.

If you get PTO before the end of March, you *should* have the option to elect the tiered plan even though you are less than one year into TOU. You should expect to keep the tiered plan for 5 years based on what is written in the tariffs, unless a more favorable TOU plan is released in the meantime (there are a variety of plans in development).

You can think of the minimum bill as at least $120 you will owe at true up. Individual monthly bills may present it differently, but part of the true up process is to adjust the minimum bill component you were charged on the monthly basis and make sure it reflects your entire year's balance. You can't offset the minimum bill with retail generation credit. Excess generation credit (paid at wholesale rates) will reduce it, but the PV capacity to generate those credits is expensive. The CA climate credit, and the EV credit that SDGE pays will also count, but those would have otherwise been cash in your pocket.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by ccdengr View Post

All good questions. I think you should call SDG&E and ask them, as no one else can do anything but speculate at this point. I don't even know if tiered is going to continue to be an option for much longer. I switched to DR-SES before the NEM 1.0 grandfathering deadline so all I'm sure of is that I'll have the old TOU schedule until 2021; after that who knows?

I looked briefly at how to compute a bill with tier+TOU and gave up in confusion. In theory the SDG&E website would allow you to compare pricing on different plans based on past usage, but I don't think it works if you aren't eligible to switch plans.
            Sensij: Appreciate your billing confusion. FWIW, and pardon my presumption if yo've already done this, one thing I did with DR - TOU that seems to make the tier overlay a bit more manageable for me was to do it a bit backwards. That is, calc the entire usage without the lower baseline credit and then subtract that amount out of the higher sum before adding in taxes. Adjust accordingly when billing period usage is less than billing period baseline allowance. Same will go for supercharge usage > 400 % of baseline allowance. I'm still fooling with it off/on as DR - TOU is not a high priority for me at this time, but it seems to work similar to how I calc tiered rate bills.

Comment

Hi All,

I've been following this thread closely in anticipation of the Dec 1 "deadline" for switching to TOU to be grandfathered into the "old" schedule. I'm on NEM ST and I was told by SDG&E that if I didn't switch by yesterday, I would only be able to be on the new schedule. Anticipating an EV in the near future, I wanted to be grandfathered into the old schedule and switch to the EV-TOU2 rate, and it looked like the only way to do that was to switch to the DR-SES rate for now. The representative I talked to wasn't sure if I would be able to switch to EV-TOU2 before staying on DR-SES for one year, but I figured that the rates themselves were fairly close (with EV-TOU2 being slightly less for the super off-peak). Plus, I was told I would always have the option to switch back to Tiered for 5 years (assuming they don't figure out a way to cut Tiered off before that, which sounds like a distinct possibility (I'm reading possibly 2019?)).

Anyway, the new rates came out today, and not unexpectedly, SDG&E has reset the DR-SES (GF) rates so that on-peak and semi-peak are basically the same high rate ($0.42953 and $0.42935 respectively) rendering the old schedule somewhat moot. > But I'm hoping I can get onto the EV-TOU2 rate while maintaining the same schedule because there's still a bigger spread between on-peak and semi-peak, but I'm also scheduled to get a battery soon (I hope... Waiting for the powerwall 2 is a different topic)

Reference:
              DR-SES rates: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/f...es%20Table.pdf
              EV-TOU2 rates: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/f...s%20Tables.pdf

Am I reading those correctly? I kind of wish I switched to DR-SES earlier now to have banked up some $ while the rates were more favorable. I am generating a lot more than I'm using (at least during the summer, not so much now) as I sized the system in anticipation of an EV. I just got PTO over the summer.

Did I make the right choice? It looks like I can cancel my pricing plan change for 20 days, but I think I'll lose the TOU grandfathering.

Comment

Originally posted by aant View Post

Did I make the right choice? It looks like I can cancel my pricing plan change for 20 days, but I think I'll lose the TOU grandfathering.
                It is hard to say. For most people, the morning is a period of relatively low consumption, so a high dollar value on the credit you generate then is very favorable, and probably is worth more than what you lose by having the lower peak rate.

Comment

I looked into SDG&E rates again now that they updated after Dec 1st. For my purposes, I have an EV now, and will have solar in 3-4 months, I think that TOU-DR-P is the best plan for me, and better than EV-TOU2 or DR-SES (which are now almost identical). I don't think I can grandfather anything so assuming all rates are new.

The TOU-DR-P doesn't have a single rate sheet, you get the distribution components from TOU-DR, and then the electrical costs from here: http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/E...C-TOU-DR-P.pdf

The main new feature I noted is that on TOU-DR-P the gap between semi-peak (when most generation would occur) and super-off-peak in summer is greater than other schedules including TOU-DR, DR-SES and EV-TOU2. So for charging an EV at night that's what you want.

Also, the "RYU adder"---penalty on critical days, has a time period from 2pm to 6pm---and as these would almost always be hot summer weekdays, you'd be generating if you can avoid using A/C and earning $1.16 extra per kWh net generation.

I think if you size yourself to stay within the baseline net, TOU-DR-P is a good option for SDG&E. BTW I'm now shocked at peak rates over 50c it's insane. Much higher than LADWP.

Comment

This new DR-SES (GF) certainly eliminates the huge gain to be had from May - Oct non hot days where one could bank some serious peak $ credits. I'll have to go back and take a look at this years usage laid onto this new schedule. Even so, my best guess estimate is still that DR-SES (GF) is better for me than DR-SES, but I'll have to try to run this years data through a new spreadsheet model.
                    8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA View Post
                      This new DR-SES (GF) certainly eliminates the huge gain to be had from May - Oct non hot days where one could bank some serious peak $ credits. I'll have to go back and take a look at this years usage laid onto this new schedule. Even so, my best guess estimate is still that DR-SES (GF) is better for me than DR-SES, but I'll have to try to run this years data through a new spreadsheet model.
                      Charlie:

I just finished and checked a new spreadsheet for how much revenue (separate from use) that an array will generate in N. County using PVWatts with 10 % system losses and Miramar TMY3 data.

Lots of info, but Readers's Digest version for now is that a south facing array at 20 deg. tilt and using the new (12/01/2017) DR - SES rate schedule with 12/01/2017 rates and times for new (non grandfathered) users will produce about $433/yr. or so of revenue to offset an electric bill per installed STC kW of PV.

Using the same orientations and data with the (12/01/2017 newly published) grandfathered rates and times, the annual revenue generation is ~~ $512/yr. per installed STC kW for 180 deg. azimuth and 20 deg. tilt.

So, the rates for new systems under the new rates will cause systems to generate ~~ 18 % or so less revenue than under the grandfathered rates.

I had done the same comparison using proposed DR - SES rates and times and got similar but smaller (lower $$ revenue generation) numbers, and a larger % increase, grandfathered vs. non-grandfathered rates) of ~~ 20-24 % depending on orientation from old to new rates and times.

The difference now, based on published and effective rates/times has the new rates/times generating more revenue than the old rates for either the grandfathered or non grandfathered rates (but again, less overall revenue with the new rates when compared to the old non-grandfathered rates , but that's mostly due to the pre - 12/01/2017 rates hourly rates (the proposed but not approved rates) being lower than the post 12/01/2017 rates (the approved rates) for both grandfathered and non-grandfathered rates.

I was thinking of your situation while I was doing this as you're the only one I know building and planning an array in N. County at this time.

BTW, best orientation to max. out revenue for you under the new and non grandfathered rates ~ 185 deg. azimuth and ~ 30 deg. tilt. The revenue generation at that orientation using the above assumptions is ~ $517//yr. per installed STC kW for the grandfathered rates, and about 203 deg. az. and about 30 deg. az. for the new (non grandfathered ) rates which will produce ~ $440/yr. in revenue per STC kW. As you can see, and as I'll fill in some blanks in the near future, orientation, +/- 10-15 deg. in azimuth off optimum and +/- 5-10 deg. off optimum in tilt is not real critical to revenue generation. Also note that revenue generation for west facing is way down from south facing or optimum as it's always been. More to follow on that
                      Last edited by J.P.M.; 12-06-2017, 10:49 AM. Reason: Added text.

Comment

Ok, a quick look at some data from my system, overlaying the tariffs indicated on actual metering from 7/2016 - 6/2017.

DR-SES, 3/1/17
                        NEM Charges 544
                        NEM Credits 606
                        Net -62

DR-SES (GR), 12/1/17
                        NEM Charges 546
                        NEM Credits 600
                        Net -53

This isn't a validated spreadsheet yet, but at least the first cut looks like grandfathering did what it was supposed to (for me).

Comment

Originally posted by aant View Post
                          Hi All,

Reference:
                          DR-SES rates: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/f...es%20Table.pdf
                          EV-TOU2 rates: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/f...s%20Tables.pdf

Am I reading those correctly? I kind of wish I switched to DR-SES earlier now to have banked up some $ while the rates were more favorable. I am generating a lot more than I'm using (at least during the summer, not so much now) as I sized the system in anticipation of an EV. I just got PTO over the summer.
                          Just to be clear, the EV-TOU2 sheet you linked doesn't show the (GR) version of the tariff. Here are both GR versions.

EV-TOU2_GR.JPG

DR-SES-GR.JPG

The difference between them is small... the multiplier is *slightly* better on EV-TOU2 (1.78 vs 1.74), but because the peak and off-peak hours aren't identical between them, the optimal choice is probably very consumption pattern specific (as it has always been).

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

Just to be clear, the EV-TOU2 sheet you linked doesn't show the (GR) version of the tariff. Here are both GR versions.

EV-TOU2_GR.JPG

DR-SES-GR.JPG

The difference between them is small... the multiplier is *slightly* better on EV-TOU2 (1.78 vs 1.74), but because the peak and off-peak hours aren't identical between them, the optimal choice is probably very consumption pattern specific (as it has always been).
                            I'd respectfully add, and only with the intent of perhaps avoiding some confusion and reiterate that the rates shown in this post are the grandfathered rates ("GR").

SDG & E customers adding PV now will not get these rates and will instead be subject to the newer "non grandfathered" rates and times.

Comment

Working...
                            X