• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AzRoute66
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2017

Changing Up Established Arrays

Originally posted by bcroe
    [...] In the near future I will be trying out landscape mounts, only 2 high. That provides a center gap for snow,
    but also a place for a tilt pivot close to the center of gravity. I concluded a bunch of low arrays don't take
    any more space than a very high one, at least after the first. That makes them easier to tilt, but it also
    means the vertical snow removal distance is only 39 inches. So the total snow being pushed at a time is
    far less, as is the distance, and my pushing effort. AND the reach distance is reduced, so the pole will
    be easier to control. There will be seasonable tilt changes; if it becomes simple enough, maybe vertical
    or slightly over vertical positioning for some storms. [...] Bruce Roe
    Are you any closer on your 'mad scientisting'? My understanding is that you are considering major changes in both the S array and the E-W array. I may have even seen some fresh holes in the dirt. I know you have a couple of monster actuators that need an outside home. Are you underway? Any sneak preview? You know we all want to take a crack at providing an eureka idea.

Any one else with a 'lesson learned' or an array improvement after installation story? Considering one?
  • kb58
    • Sep 2017

Wait, what thread is that quote from?

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AzRoute66

Are you any closer on your 'mad scientisting'? My understanding is that you are considering major changes in both the S array and the E-W array. I may have even seen some fresh holes in the dirt. I know you have a couple of monster actuators that need an outside home. Are you underway? Any sneak preview? You know we all want to take a crack at providing an eureka idea.
      OK, here is a big hint. This is a test fitting, lying face down here, of a tilting mount for 24 @ 250W
      panels. Its 66' long, for 12 upper panels and 12 lower panels in landscape. You can see the 8"
      snow gap, which is also a good place for half a dozen pillow block bearings. Being close to the
      center of gravity, tilting should not take any huge force. No power activators initially; seasonal and
      maybe snow storm tilts will be the first trials. It meets a half page list of requirements, that my
      originals didn't.

The 3 holes seen earlier now are filled with a bunch of concrete, rebar, and dirt; 3 more are under
      construction. Even if only one more gets done before winter, it will be enough to mount half this array.

This one will face East; done first because I currently have big morning shadows from that direction.
      If it proves out, a mate across the clearing will face west, and I'll start removing the ill placed panels
      on my south facing array. Bruce Roe

PVSep17tst.JPG

Comment

• AzRoute66
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2017

bcroe Thanks for the update. Was kind of hoping to see a triangular frame with the actuators flipping the panels from east to west daily with seasonal tilt limit switches. I'll zoom in on the picture and ponder it for a while. (I always forget just how many panels you are dealing with...)

kb58 The thread I quoted from was "Questions on 25kW Residential Cap in NY", directly available by clicking the '>>' link in the quote.
        Last edited by AzRoute66; 10-15-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

This week of warm, rain free weather was not ignored here. Out back there has been digging days and
          concrete pouring under the lights at night. The last foundation unit was poured and rainproofed by dark
          today; rain could be back at any moment. I was really getting tired of concrete after the first 50 bags.
          240' of rebar and 18 bond beam blocks are in place. I might yet get it up this year.

With all the yellow rock around here, I long ago gave up on post holes. Digging a trench allows the rocks
          to be dealt with, many taking 2 hands to pick up. But my miniature backhoe just kept trucking along, no
          damage. If it couldn't manage to get under a rock, I broke it up or moved it with a hammer drill. The
          trench allows vertical supports to go in 2 at a time, connected together at the bottom by long U shaped
          rebar and concrete for a structure that will never be affected by frost.

For a break I watched the IronRidge Ground Mount Webinar, on how installers (in the SW desert) could
          throw up grounded panel supports, for minimum labor and max profit. A recording might be available; I
          had signed up for it. It confirmed many of my thoughts and suspicions on the subject. For example, a
          concrete column above the ground hasn't much strength, unless it contains a rebar cage.
          Joining a pair of verticals below the frost line will eliminate problems with frost heave. They also
          mentioned possible lot line setback requirements. However it didn't address issues occurring in these
          parts (northern IL). Snow was barely mentioned, clouds and variable tilt not at all.

Their design tool attempts to minimize cost: all foundation issues can be solved with a big enough
          vertical steel pipe placed in enough concrete. The tool only supports 3 to 5 panels high; mine are all
          1 or 2 high. Panels are held by labor efficient clamps intended for panels directly adjacent, and they
          could slip off if things started to move around. Split lock washers are used which can come
          loose if anything shifts.

They offer no solution to sloping ground, though a pivoting pipe cap may be in the future. For now
          the tool maximum ground clearance is 30" before special engineering is needed for bracing. So I
          saw a slide of a panel 30" up with those on the uphill side getting progressively closer to the ground.
          When it gets too close, a new row must be started at 30" again, which complicates construction and
          requires additional space to avoid shadowing.

Bruce Roe
          Last edited by bcroe; 10-21-2017, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...