X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanS26
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bcroe
    Now you are opening up other options. My idea was to increase hours with panels, without investing more
    in the inverter plant. That keeps your peak power at the same limit. Changing things at the AC level will
    require a complete rework.

Strings lend themselves to the kind of experiment I'm doing, but don't deal well with shadows. My curve
    above no doubt will change with latitude, and it will change with seasons. Probably there will be experiments
    with the tilt over months. The E-W panel arrangement produces enough power here, I was planning to
    remove some S panels. Just what is the best winter arrangement isn't clear, considering the clouds
    and short sun days. Bruce Roe
    Bruce, love your experiment with lengthening "sun hours" with the East West facing arrays. Don't know about the financial returns on an investment like that but from a production standpoint it does maximize the sunlight hitting the earth at your location.

I have always wondered.....and I mentioned this to you before.....why on PVOutput you do not disclose your East West arrays, only the south facing array as your installed production base....but then post production of all the panels no matter what orientation? This really distorts the efficiency of your installed production base. Not calling you out on this but just trying to understand your thinking on reporting to PVOutput in this manner.

Years ago a moderator on this site named "russ" said you cannot believe anything you see on PVOutput......maybe he was talking about this kind of reporting.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanS26

Bruce, love your experiment with lengthening "sun hours" with the East West facing arrays. Don't know about the financial returns on an investment like that but from a production standpoint it does maximize the sunlight hitting the earth at your location.

I have always wondered.....and I mentioned this to you before.....why on PVOutput you do not disclose your East West arrays, only the south facing array as your installed production base....but then post production of all the panels no matter what orientation? This really distorts the efficiency of your installed production base. Not calling you out on this but just trying to understand your thinking on reporting to PVOutput in this manner.

Years ago a moderator on this site named "russ" said you cannot believe anything you see on PVOutput......maybe he was talking about this kind of reporting.
      I pretty much explained that last time you asked. I don't know what their "efficiency" is about, but
      my ideas are quite different. Like, how many minutes per KW does it take to clear a 6" snowfall?
      Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

I pretty much explained that last time you asked. I don't know what their "efficiency" is about, but
        my ideas are quite different. Like, how many minutes per KW does it take to clear a 6" snowfall?
        Bruce Roe
        Bruce: on efficiency, I think what Dan S26 is getting at is that fewer stated panels can mean less stated capacity for more output I believe that will distort any efficiency numbers, or lead to confusion.

After looking at all you've done, it's clear to those who know a bit about solar design that you're not doing what you've done with an eye toward maximizing output per PV area. Maybe you're pursuing some design goal dealing with less variability for more of the day perhaps, for whatever reasons. But if you're grid tied without limits to feed-in quantities, Maybe I'm missing a lot, but I've never seen the sense of what you're doing from a cost effectiveness point of view, nor heard/read what your design goals are, but I suspect, whatever they are, they aren't about cost.

Not knocking it mind you, I just don't get it.

Comment

• pclausen
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2016

Now you are opening up other options. My idea was to increase hours with panels, without investing more
          in the inverter plant. That keeps your peak power at the same limit. Changing things at the AC level will
          require a complete rework.
          I have no plans to change anything about the 80 South facing panels with micro inverters that consists of 6 strings, each feeding a 20A breaker in the shop sub-panel.

My thinking was to add a 20 panel East facing string and 20 panel West facing string, each feeding into separate MPPT inputs on say a SMA Sunny Buy 7.0. And then connect the SMA to the 2nd set of taps on the secondary 400A meter base at the shop via a separate, fused service disconnect.

Is there an issue with mixing brand A micro inverters with brand B string inverter behind a single residential 400A service? Since all grid tied inverters, regardless of brand, independently manages its relationship to the grid, I would not think this should be a concern.
          Last edited by pclausen; 10-01-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Bruce: on efficiency, I think what Dan S26 is getting at is that fewer stated panels can mean less stated capacity for more output I believe that will distort any efficiency numbers, or lead to confusion.

After looking at all you've done, it's clear to those who know a bit about solar design that you're not doing what you've done with an eye toward maximizing output per PV area. Maybe you're pursuing some design goal dealing with less variability for more of the day perhaps, for whatever reasons. But if you're grid tied without limits to feed-in quantities, Maybe I'm missing a lot, but I've never seen the sense of what you're doing from a cost effectiveness point of view, nor heard/read what your design goals are, but I suspect, whatever they are, they aren't about cost.

Not knocking it mind you, I just don't get it.
            I guess we have different objectives, nothing wrong with that. My objective in part is to use PV to
            generate all the house energy needs. The 15KW inverter plant needs to working as hard as possible.
            A standard SW desert system does poorly in northern IL, so I am investigating ways to better adapt it.
            Bruce Roe

Comment

• tyab
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2016

Bruce has explained his design many times - to maximize the overall daily output for the AC output he is installed for. Thus the high DC to AC ratio and he is trying to minimize clipping - and overall cost is not his primary concern but he has reduced costs with that wood mounting on the east/west panels. Combined with his snow conditions and desired to have ease of clearing - it works for him. Two thumbs up as far as I am concerned. I don't think anyone would recommend it to the vast majority of solar customers but I could see edge cases of potential solar users that may have the same sort of desires. Clearly his ability to clear snow is vastly superior to most others (myself included). As far as PV output - its pointless to try and rate systems since anyone can put in any numbers they want.

Back to the OP - the OP Has clearly defined his energy problem in prior posts - very low efficiency and very large historical castle where he is under many restrictions on types of improvements. I'm taking a wild stab here but given the OP's usage, they are not as cost sensitive as other folks might be - but they would like to knock down what must be an extremely high electrical bill - but hey - he gets to live in a castle - how cool is that! Especially for his kids (another assumption).

25 will be your maximum size for residential zoning - here in PG&E land its 30. If you desire a larger system, have a chat with the building department about seeing what regulations are required to have a commercial hookup and a chat with the PoCo about a commercial account. Maybe it can happen that way - and given your historical status maybe that can help with the zoning.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

I guess we have different objectives, nothing wrong with that. My objective in part is to use PV to
                generate all the house energy needs. The 15KW inverter plant needs to working as hard as possible.
                A standard SW desert system does poorly in northern IL, so I am investigating ways to better adapt it.
                Bruce Roe
                No knock on my end either. NOMB and hail the freedom. But I can see a lot that could have been done to reduce cost and maint., particularly snow removal. BTW, I'm not in the desert. I lived in one of the cloudiest, snowiest places in the U.S. for close to 50 years and did a lot of stuff similar to you but on a smaller scale. I get your climate and approach. Hat's off pardner !

Comment

• DrLumen
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2017

Out of curiosity, I had to go look up my limit is here. A measly 10kW. Also, the way my interconnect agreement is written, it appears to be based strictly on the nameplate wattage as a hard limit. Perhaps the OP needs to research a bit more to see if the utility is imposing a 'hard' limit or a production limit. If they use the nameplate specs then solar hours (like in bcroe's system) won't matter and trackers would appear to be a better solution.

Comment

• DanS26
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2011

Bruce Roe
                    Bruce, no offense was intended and I hope none was taken. I just wanted to understand your reporting standards because I know you put a lot of thought into your system setup. I also thought there was some esoteric reason that was beyond my grasp.

But I am glad you brought up snowfall. You have posted many times about placing a open divider between panels so that snow can either fall or be moved easily through the middle of the array. So far so good and I get that and it does make sense. But what concerns me is that providing that space you allow for a higher likelihood of damage to the panels during the snow removal process.

I use a snow broom as I assume you do too. As I move about the array the broom sometimes slips off the edge, when that happens the handle usually comes in contact with the panel. Most of the time I catch it, but not always. That force on the panel especially in extreme cold is not good. By placing a divider in the array I would now have dramatically increased the edge area and thus more opportunity for the broom to slip off the panels, especially toward the end of the cleaning when I'm tired.

Just wondered if you noticed that effect last winter?

Comment

• DrLumen
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2017

Bruce, no offense was intended and I hope none was taken. I just wanted to understand your reporting standards because I know you put a lot of thought into your system setup. I also thought there was some esoteric reason that was beyond my grasp.

But I am glad you brought up snowfall. You have posted many times about placing a open divider between panels so that snow can either fall or be moved easily through the middle of the array. So far so good and I get that and it does make sense. But what concerns me is that providing that space you allow for a higher likelihood of damage to the panels during the snow removal process.

I use a snow broom as I assume you do too. As I move about the array the broom sometimes slips off the edge, when that happens the handle usually comes in contact with the panel. Most of the time I catch it, but not always. That force on the panel especially in extreme cold is not good. By placing a divider in the array I would now have dramatically increased the edge area and thus more opportunity for the broom to slip off the panels, especially toward the end of the cleaning when I'm tired.

Maybe wrap some rags, towels or pool noodle around the handle to soften any possible impact? Just a thought...

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Dan, I don't take PVOutput very seriously, but its a quick handy way to get curves and comparisons over
                        days, months, or years. They have no idea what is going on here, and I'm not interested in their judgment.

In the near future I will be trying out landscape mounts, only 2 high. That provides a center gap for snow,
                        but also a place for a tilt pivot close to the center of gravity. I concluded a bunch of low arrays don't take
                        any more space than a very high one, at least after the first. That makes them easier to tilt, but it also
                        means the vertical snow removal distance is only 39 inches. So the total snow being pushed at a time is
                        far less, as is the distance, and my pushing effort. AND the reach distance is reduced, so the pole will
                        be easier to control.

There will be seasonable tilt changes; if it becomes simple enough, maybe vertical
                        or slightly over vertical positioning for some storms.

So far no panel has been damaged, but if one is, it'll beg attention to the snow removal tool. Last
                        winter clearing time was reduced from 90 min to 40 min and with less effort, and I didn't need to
                        blow much snow away from the array base. Bruce Roe
                        Last edited by bcroe; 10-02-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...