New Roof - Need to remove and then reinstall existing panels. Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Roof - Need to remove and then reinstall existing panels. Questions

We're starting a remodel and it entails a new roof/paper/tiles. My understanding is that to keep my panel warranty I need to rehire my installer to do the removal and reinstallation. The install details were here:

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...-on-my-install

A few questions for the brain trust here:
    1.) We're in SoCal - any estimate on a "fair" price? for 30 panels? Since we're getting a new roof presumably all of the hardware needs to come down.
    2.) Since we're taking them down is there anything else I should consider? For instance, are there new installation procedures/systems that could make reinstallation more efficient, or would the added cost of the new equipment negate any potential labor savings?
    3.) I'm thinking about upsizing and getting a second system to run in parallel for a future EV. Would go with microinverters due to some of the trees on the other side. Any downside to doing this?
    4.) Any other tips/suggestions?

Thx so much!
    My Sunpower System:
    [URL="https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address"]https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address[/URL]

I was concerned that I would be doing a major remodel in the next 5 years, but really wanted solar before NEM 1.0 expired. The contractor I went with told me that if I did a simple re-roof with similar composition shingles, the mount anchors can stay and it'd take about 3 hours to remove the panels and 4 hours to re-install (for 16 panels). So we wrote up an addendum to their standard contract to include that labor for removal and reinstall would not exceed $1,200 for a re-roof in the next 8 years. I have a feeling that tile would be more difficult to work with and I don't know how much of the hardware can be reused. Would it hurt to ask your installer what they would charge?

I would think if you change the orientation of the solar array, you may need to contact the city for plans, approval, permits, and inspection. Oh and you might need a new emergency schematic by your main panel.

Comment

So I heard back from them. To remove and replace the 30 panels would be $5,850 + presumably some parts. Seems really steep to me. Considering that I'm 6 years into the system (Sunpower panels) and I've never needed my warranty, I think I'd rather find another outfit that could do the labor for less, void my labor warranty, and take my chances. I'd still have the panel warranty. Since I'm considering running another system in parallel he indicated he might be able to knock about $1k off the cost of the remove and replace, but even $4,850 feels steep.

A little more color is that he thinks the mounting system could likely largely stay in place and not need to be removed since it's flush w/ the roof, but there would still be some parts that need replacing.

I'm thinking I'm going to hunt around for a new company here in SoCal, see what kind of parallel system I can get in place (to help to offset a plug-in car), and see what kind of bundle I can get from them that includes the new system + removal & replacement of the old.

Open to thoughts or suggestions.
      My Sunpower System:
      [URL="https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address"]https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address[/URL]

Comment

I helped a friend add an Enphase microinverter system to a house with an existing Solar City pre-paid lease system. There were no problems technically with the two systems feeding into the same panel since the combined feed amperage didn't exceed the electrical code limits. It required a new permit from the building department and new agreement with the power company (PG&E). He did it for the same reason, adding an EV.

Comment

Opening up an old thread Hopefully the OP can respond. I need to remove a 23 panel system for a roof replacement during a remodel in San Diego. What should I expect to pay for this work?

Comment

My sales person put into wrighting to remove 90 panels for roof replacement would be 1500.00 I feel that was reasonable.

Comment

Here in OC the other estimate I got was about $4k for the 30 panels (this was from an acquaintance in the business, and I hadn't shared the other number, so I hope he wasn't trying to take advantage of me). I ended up sticking with my original installer for the $4,850 because I wanted to maintain my original installation warranty. For the amount of work it seems really expensive to me, but I didn't have the time or desire to shop it far and wide. I was able to get them to move the conduit to the inside of the wall during our remodel for the for the same price, so that was a small consolation.

I hope you have better luck in San Diego, but $1,500 for 90 panels is obviously WAY cheaper than anything I possibly could have gotten. Maybe that's the difference between getting it in writing during the contract phase and not, but it could also be a regional difference. Good luck.

P.S While researching our Lutron system I met a person online from Baker Electric in San Diego. He seemed like a solid individual in case you need to reach out to someone.
              My Sunpower System:

Comment

An electrician who works for a local solar company helped me with the electrical for my project. He convinced me to go roof mount instead of ground mount and said that I could pay his company their normal labor rate to remove and reinstall my 21 panels for a re-roof and still be cheaper than a ground mount.

Comment

Originally posted by reader2580 View Post
                  An electrician who works for a local solar company helped me with the electrical for my project. He convinced me to go roof mount instead of ground mount and said that I could pay his company their normal labor rate to remove and reinstall my 21 panels for a re-roof and still be cheaper than a ground mount.
                  Ground mounts are often more up front $$ than roof mounts, often for things like code mandated fencing, but if the site allows it in terms of having the non shaded space, a ground mount has some real advantages, two of which are no added potential for roof leaks and less cost to remove/replace panels on a roof. Also probably easier to clean and service.

Pay your money, take your choice. If you have the option of a ground mount, the added up front cost may well be worth it. Think long term.

Comment

Stomp thank you for your reply. I was quoted almost 3X your amount to de-install and re-install a smaller system. I need to keep searching.

Comment

Considering that I thought nearly $5k was bad, I can only imagine...over $10k sounds insane. Maybe price an add on system from someone else and get them to do the R&R?
                      My Sunpower System:

Comment

Here in NJ, over the past 12 years that I've lived here I've had a number of moderate repair, construction, remodeling jobs done. Electrical, plumbing, sprinklers, fencing, roofing, tree service, exterminators, HVAC, re-insulation, etc. Pricing is remarkably similar across the trades. As a rough rule of thumb, $1200 per person per day (aka $150/hr). Given two men half a day to remove the panels, and a separate truck roll and two men to reinstall the panels (full day at least depending on mounting and retesting). $3500-$5000 in labor is what I would expect. I would expect that a licensed, bonded, perhaps union, trades person would be similarly priced in California.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
                          Here in NJ, over the past 12 years that I've lived here I've had a number of moderate repair, construction, remodeling jobs done. Electrical, plumbing, sprinklers, fencing, roofing, tree service, exterminators, HVAC, re-insulation, etc. Pricing is remarkably similar across the trades. As a rough rule of thumb, $1200 per person per day (aka $150/hr). Given two men half a day to remove the panels, and a separate truck roll and two men to reinstall the panels (full day at least depending on mounting and retesting). $3500-$5000 in labor is what I would expect. I would expect that a licensed, bonded, perhaps union, trades person would be similarly priced in California.
                          FWIW, my experience is similar pricewise, but after living in NYS for 45+ yrs. and much of the remainder of my life so far in San Diego, with respect to quality and price of workmanship between the east coast and here, while price is probably comparable, quality and workmanship is much better east of the Mississippi.

But I also lived in NM for several years where the rule of thumb is if you can't do it yourself, it won't get done because no one will show up in the first place so price is a moot point. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
                            This is why DIY is so attractive.......and this is why the trades put up and request so many roadblocks for DIY.

Sad but true. Code compliant DIY'ers are just screwed in so many places and it is growing.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post

This is why DIY is so attractive.......and this is why the trades put up and request so many roadblocks for DIY.

Sad but true. Code compliant DIY'ers are just screwed in so many places and it is growing.
                              Opinion: It's also sad but to my experience about equally true how many DIY'ers are code noncompliant due to ignorance, shortsightedness and just plain sloth. Every house I've ever owned, and about every home I've ever been in if I bothered to look required at least some remediation to clean up, make safe and/or correct what some clod(s) did. Some dwellings more than others, but all to some extent that went beyond normal wear/tear.

Comment

Working...
                              X