Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stomp
    • Jan 2011

Looking for feedback on my install.

I recently had my 30 Sunpower SPR-225''s installed along with my 6000 Watt inverter. I'm pleased with the workmanship of the install and the look of the system, but there is one issue that has me disappointed.

When I originally saw the site plan (and in reality even before then) I had expressed concern about one of the palm trees near the house and the potential shadow the fronds might cast. When they sent the following site plan to me by email:

I replied with the following picture plainly showing a shadow being cast from the palm tree impacting the left side of the area of the proposed system.

In my conversation with the sales guy I asked why it wouldn't be moved further to the right to help avoid this issue (there is probably at least 6 feet of vent-free roof space on the other side). His response was essentially "I'm sure they will"...

So here is the final install:

My point being the location of the panels was not shifted to the right at all. While I have a pretty good layout for solar (facing southwest in Orange County - 220 degrees), there are some trees around the property that can be issues. Clearly the palm I mentioned, as well as a pine you can see one the left side of the following picture:

As the sun sets in the afternoon both the palm and the pine can block the sun. Since the system isn't yet a month old what I don't know is what part of the roof is impacted by shade at what part of the day at what time of the year. What I do know is that right now, based on my Sunpower Monitoring, I'm seeing substantial drop-offs from the 4-5pm vs. 5-6pm. Rather than being a relatively nice bell shape, on sunny days I have production from 4-5 of about 4 kWh, and from 5-6 it drops to about 1.3. For systems that don't have shade I've seen a gradual step down with an hour in the 3 kWh range before dropping into the 1 range (essentially a very nice bell curve). You can see production (and history) at the following link. If you scroll through the previous days and look for days where production was in the high 30's you should see the step-down I'm talking about.

Clealy I have some shade issues, so again the question is how much is that palm impacting the system vs. the rest of the shade issues, and is shade primarily impacting the left edge of the system or more toward the center (in which case it would be impacted either way), and how will that change over the course of the year.

So my question is whether I should simply grin and bear it or express my concern? On the grin and bear it side the truth is this is already a low-production time of day, so it isn't a material amount. But added up over the course of a year...or 20 years...it might become quite a bit. They are the experts and the system is relatively new, and I want to believe there is a reason based on the solar-metric (?) readings they took that they opted for that area. I just don't like the thought of losing kWh if it was indeed due to poor placement. Again, I realize as the path of the sun changes throughout the year things can change, but for now I'm just dealing with the production as I've observed it.

Thanks for any feedback.
    My Sunpower System:
    [URL="https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address"]https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address[/URL]
  • Swampwood
    • Mar 2011

That would have me ..Hopping up and down, pissed off mad.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

If it was I, I would have never let them install it in a known bad location. They will either need to relocate the entire array, and fix the roof holes, or you will have to take them to court . Is this a lease or outright purchase ?

That amount of shade is negligence on their part. All you need are your photos of pre-install concern, and of your non-bell curve output.

As to the lost power, you can re-draw the bell curve, and see what it should be.

Evil Install Bastards
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• dvhenry
        • Mar 2011

Perhaps try discussion before litigation, suggesting they look at this thread would not hurt either.

Comment

• Stomp
          • Jan 2011

Thanks for the replies so far. Part of the reason I went with the company that I did is it has been around for a long time and I think they have a strong reputation. I would hope and expect any issues regarding the install (if they were indeed negligent in the layout) would be addressed outside of court.

In my original post I didn't point out that on the other side of the house there is a large pepper tree and a sycamore that might have come into the analysis (perhaps AM?), so it is possible the shading from those might have come into play (though my gut tells me not to the extent of the palm).

(the antenna is gone - they were kind enough to take it down at my request during the install).

And again I need to point out the pine - it is really tall and as the sun goes down I can imagine it is casting a shadow on the roof as well.

Regarding the Solarmetric (?) tool they use on the roof to map optimal location and map the path of the sun throughout the year, is the readout something they should be able to share without me having the program? I really want to understand why it was so far to that side and go from there.

With respect to the shading issue, one comment the sales guy made before was a product that could be used on the panels that get shading so they don't neuter the entire string. I know Tigo's need to be installed on every panel - are there solutions where you only apply it to the affected panel?
          My Sunpower System:
          [URL="https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address"]https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address[/URL]

Comment

• Stomp
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Mike90250
            If it was I, I would have never let them install it in a known bad location. They will either need to relocate the entire array, and fix the roof holes, or you will have to take them to court . Is this a lease or outright purchase ?

That amount of shade is negligence on their part. All you need are your photos of pre-install concern, and of your non-bell curve output.

As to the lost power, you can re-draw the bell curve, and see what it should be.

Evil Install Bastards
            It was an outright purchase. Regarding the bell curve, I don't expect a perfect one since I know there would be some PM shading...the question in my mind is whether it had to be as severe as it is.
            My Sunpower System:

Comment

• dvhenry
              • Mar 2011

With respect to the shading issue, one comment the sales guy made before was a product that could be used on the panels that get shading so they don't neuter the entire string.
              there are inverters designed to run on individual panels that can reduce the losses from shaded panels, they are not cheap, but they are an option. You would need a second look at the complete system (and advice from others here) to get the most out of something like this.

Comment

• Stomp
                • Jan 2011

One more point - I just went out and took a couple of pictures of the roof & the pepper tree. At the moment I took the picture you can see the open area in question (everything to the left of the vents) was barely shade free. Minutes earlier I'm sure it had shade. At the same time I took the picture the monitor (local which is real-time, not the online one that is only updated once every 30 minutes) showed the system was producing 1,200 watts. Any earlier than that and it would be producing even less.

In other words by having it scooted the direction it is I miss some AM shade, however I think the PM sunlight I lose from the shadow is worse than the AM sunlight I gain.
                My Sunpower System:

Comment

• dvhenry
                  • Mar 2011

I think they have tried to choose the lesser of two evils, micro inverters would have helped, but at a considerable expense. Over all you seem to still be getting a decent output.

Comment

Working...