X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solarworld AG declares bankruptcy

Not sure how many prospective solar customers have seen this but I just learned about this today

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2017/05/...or-insolvency/

Posting here as it is relevant news for folks looking to go with Solarworld panels.

Solarworld Americas to go it alone: https://www.pv-tech.org/news/solarwo...to-go-it-alone

Comment

Originally posted by adoublee View Post
      Solarworld Americas to go it alone: https://www.pv-tech.org/news/solarwo...to-go-it-alone

Good to know, I am guessing they will be bought out by some other bigger player.

Comment

Originally posted by lanb View Post

Good to know, I am guessing they will be bought out by some other bigger player.
        There probably isn't any European or American player that big that wants to buy them. More than likely if anyplace at all it could be an offer that comes from Asia.

Comment

Since SolarWorld Americas has also had problems previously and the market is becoming more difficult under the new US president, it remains questionable just how the company intends to develop in the difficult situation.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstrech View Post
            Since SolarWorld Americas has also had problems previously and the market is becoming more difficult under the new US president, it remains questionable just how the company intends to develop in the difficult situation.
            I think SolarWorld was having difficulties before the US elected our new administration.

Unless a solar panel manufacturer had major utility sized projects lined up, I would think they would be hard pressed to keep making a profit, especially if other companies charge less for their panels.

Comment

Get ready, a lot of Solar Manufactures are going bankrupt. Next in line is Sun Power.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Not so sure about that Sunking, the parent company Total has guaranteed up to $US100 million of SunPower Total with a guarantee up to $US100 million of SunPower
                Last edited by nickstrech; 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM. Reason: had not finished

Comment

Originally posted by nickstrech View Post
                  Not so sure about that Sunking, the parent company Total has guaranteed up to $US100 million of SunPower Total with a guarantee up to $US100 million of SunPower
                  Well see. But if you own SP stock, or any solar manufacture stock, I would dump it like a hot potato and let some other sucker hold the empty bag. Better to sell now to minimize the losses than get caught going to worthless paper. The solar bubble has busted. All the money to be made has already been made.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    Well see. But if you own SP stock, or any solar manufacture stock, I would dump it like a hot potato and let some other sucker hold the empty bag. Better to sell now to minimize the losses than get caught going to worthless paper. The solar bubble has busted. All the money to be made has already been made.
                    I bailed on the solar stuff ~ 18 months ago. In hindsight, maybe a little late.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                      I bailed on the solar stuff ~ 18 months ago. In hindsight, maybe a little late.
                      Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall you bought when it should have been sold. In other words a downhill ride until you sold. Did you ever have a capital gain while you held on to it.?

MSEE, PE

Comment

What ? But, but Tesla will save the day

Interestingly, Barrons recommended SEDG a couple of months ago. http://www.barrons.com/articles/dark...dge-1490423605
                        Only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by lanb View Post

What ? But, but Tesla will save the day

Interestingly, Barrons recommended SEDG a couple of months ago. http://www.barrons.com/articles/dark...dge-1490423605
                          Only time will tell.
                          Well my friend what I have learned from the pros and loosing a lot of money, you do exactly the opposite of what a Broker Firm or Analyst recommends. When they say buy means they have a lot of that stock and has ran up. peaked, and looking to dump it on suckers on the way down so they do not get caught holding the bag. . Motley Fool is the only one I sort of trust. Example 6 months before the POTUS election brokers urged people to sell Defense Stocks, in contrast Motley Fool recommended buy all you can which I already new. All the Defense stocks are up 100% Plus. Brokers were trying to drive the price down because they sold the farm to buy every share they possible could buy. Anyone with half a brain could figure out as soon as No Bama left it did not matter if Billary or Chump took office, the military budget would sky rocket. Brokers tried to say Billary would win and she would continue with NoBamas cowardly ways. You would have to be brain dead to believe that. Billary is more Hawkish than Chump.
                          Last edited by Sunking; 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall you bought when it should have been sold. In other words a downhill ride until you sold. Did you ever have a capital gain while you held on to it.?
                            Bought everything cheap in a relative sense.10,000 sh S.P.@ ~ $4.50/sh. dollar cost average 08/2012 - 11/2012 along w/ 1,000 sh. TSLA @ ~ $23.50/sh. dollar cost ave. Both issues bought on an unexpected pension buyout from prior employer and considered found money I wasn't expecting. Sold 1,000 sh. S.P. 11/2013 to pay off the array and roof repairs @ $33.50/sh. Thus, S.P. stock appreciation paid for my S.P. array before tax credit, roof repair and then some. Bailed on the other 9,000 sh. S.P. ~ 12/2015, ~ $26.50/sh. dollar cost average. I should have sold the last 9,000 sh. sooner, but still did OK. I chickened out and bailed on the TSLA @ ~ $158/sh. 01/2014 thinking the party was over for that outfit. Should've held on. All was initially rolled/swapped into my Roth IRA and held >12 months. Appreciation, except for the first 1,000 sh. of S.P. stayed in the Roth. Because of age, I could withdraw assets from the Roth tax free.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 05-19-2017, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                              All was initially rolled/swapped into my Roth IRA and held >12 months. Appreciation, except for the first 1,000 sh. of S.P. stayed in the Roth. Because of age, I could withdraw assets from the Roth tax free.
                              I hear you on ROTH. Amazing how many folks who do not know what it is. I have been in since inception since 1998 I think when it started, and have managed to sneak in every dollar possible. Hell my 58 year dog even has one. Best investment I ever made was one of my fist ROTH buys was 1000 sh of AMAZON in 1999 or 2000 for about $4.12 DCA. My biggest regret was not buying into Priceline. Back in 2008 Bought a boatload of F and GE. That one allowed me to retire early and move to Panama. All tax free in ROTH.

It is a shame our schools do not teach us as children that even a Blue Collar worker that invest 10% of their gross income can retire wealthy by age 50. Not really hard to do and only requires two things. Discipline and Living Below Your Means. Instead our schools teach the exact opposite of no consequences for your actions and use plastic money until you are insolvent and bankrupt. Only way to learn it today is either through your parents and private schools. All it takes is the Discipline to save 10% of your gross earnings and Live Below Your Means. If you want to be in the top 10% is even fairly easy and only requires one more step called Motivation and/or Drive.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X