X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by peakbagger
    Given the upfront costs for panels I don't see a lot of folks writing checks for an install, therefore it becomes an opportunity to write solar leases which is where the real money is at. Solar roofs are being marketed as groundbreaking technology with no competitors, so Tesla will get the homeowner to ignore conventional panels. It also can indirectly be used to sell plain old solar panels. In theory putting a deposit process in place creates a fairly valuable client list. Tesla can then send a so called "engineer" or "technician" to the site to visit the owner. I expect the "engineer' is far more a salesman than an "engineer". Realistically it doesn't take lot of training to follow a canned site assessment checklist that can be mostly automated. The salesman then has a highly motivated customer and its up to the salesmen to bait and switch the homeowner into switching to plain old solar panels conveniently sold by Tesla now instead of the solar roof later. I expect that a big chunk of PV sales are now impulse purchases and expect that an average consumer wants near instant gratification. The more I see the more this lines up with the new and used car business.
    It looks like the advertisement are expanding. In today's St Pete Times there was an article stating that Tesla was opening up the market in Florida and they were now accepting deposits to get in line for a solar roof once they are made.

I would sure like to see the technical drawing detailing one of those solar roofs to see exactly how they plan on wiring the panels to the inverter.

The was one footnote in the article stating the solar roof would be about 5 times the cost of a standard shingle roof. But hey it will look pretty.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

It looks like the advertisement are expanding. In today's St Pete Times there was an article stating that Tesla was opening up the market in Florida and they were now accepting deposits to get in line for a solar roof once they are made.

I would sure like to see the technical drawing detailing one of those solar roofs to see exactly how they plan on wiring the panels to the inverter.

The was one footnote in the article stating the solar roof would be about 5 times the cost of a standard shingle roof. But hey it will look pretty.
      I'd go w/Peakbagger on the bait & switch and lead generation as at least some of the marketing logic behind the roof tile scam, especially now that A/C season is close to upon those of us in warmer latitudes and folks do their annual knee jerk sticker shock to the higher A/C caused electric bills, and the vendors have a feeding/sales frenzy until Oct. or so.

Also seems that the press in many markets is looking to fill news space w/free advertising. The Buffalo News took the info and spun it as good news for the SolarCity panel factory in Buffalo. It's just business.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Lettle mention in Forbes

Tesla is misleading the public by comparing its solar roof to tile and slate roofs rather than to conventional solar panels. As you will see, a real comparison is not flattering to Tesla.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ButchDeal
          Maybe the OP will read the article and rethink his position.

Comment

• silverhorsefarm
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2010

now the scales fall from my eyes.
            SHF produces something besides manure!

Comment

Working...