• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

Sell them on eBay.
    If they're still functional, why not? Ebay is a pain to sell on though. Local craigslist ads work better.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Lvb
      • Oct 2018

Hi

So far I have 3 quotes:

1) Panasonic VBHN330SA16 + SolarEdge Technologies Inc. SE7600H-US Inverter @$3.30/watt (7Kw PV system)
      2) SynPower Equinox All-in-One X22 serries @$3.9/watt (6.6Kw PV system)
      3) Hanwha 315 watts panel + Enphase IQ7 micro-inverter @$2.6/watt (this is cheapest but it's by an independent contractor so it's more risky than first 2)

All these prices are before 30% rebate incentive. I'm gonna try to get some estimate from Sunrun later today.

I'm in Orange County, CA. What do you guys think about these prices and system?
      I read that alot of people recommend Canadian Solar but i hadn't found anyone local around my area that offer the Canadian Solar system yet.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Lvb
        Hi

So far I have 3 quotes:

1) Panasonic VBHN330SA16 + SolarEdge Technologies Inc. SE7600H-US Inverter @$3.30/watt (7Kw PV system)
        2) SynPower Equinox All-in-One X22 serries @$3.9/watt (6.6Kw PV system)
        3) Hanwha 315 watts panel + Enphase IQ7 micro-inverter @$2.6/watt (this is cheapest but it's by an independent contractor so it's more risky than first 2)

All these prices are before 30% rebate incentive. I'm gonna try to get some estimate from Sunrun later today.

I'm in Orange County, CA. What do you guys think about these prices and system?
        I read that alot of people recommend Canadian Solar but i hadn't found anyone local around my area that offer the Canadian Solar system yet.

First off, I'd run from Sunrun. They've shown me they're a bottom feeder. Stick with quality local vendors.

Unless you have a shade problem which is about the only reason to consider micros at all, avoid them.

Why are you still bothering thinking about S.P. ?

Get and read the book.

Comment

• Lvb
          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

First off, I'd run from Sunrun. They've shown me they're a bottom feeder. Stick with quality local vendors.

Unless you have a shade problem which is about the only reason to consider micros at all, avoid them.

Why are you still bothering thinking about S.P. ?

Get and read the book.
          1st, the only reason why I still want to get a quote from Sunrun is because local Costco is partnered with them (and I know that Costco will back it if anything happened. I went to HVAC installation from RightTime Services thru Costco and had problems with them regarding the performance. Costco stepped in and made Rightime Services did an extra job worths about $2k to help fix my problem). So that's why I still want to consider Sunrun (I also had several friends that did their Solar with Sunrun thru Costco about 3 years ago and they all said it was great so far and cheaper, about $3/watt before tax incentive).

2nd, i know SP is very expensive and not needed in CA, and as many said, their company might go bankrupt after the solar burst. However, their quote still kinda give me an idea of the pricing & some comparison. At this point, mostly I'd consider the quote for Panasonic panels, but I still want to see if anything else's available out there.

It seems that you read & know alot of solar but I respect your opinion on getting books & read them, however, for me, I'd rather ask for personal's opinion and people's actual experiences, IMHO that's more important than book-knowledge.

Comment

• JRqwertyui
            • Jan 2017

I'm slightly biased towards #1. Exactly the system I installed a year ago...except at 9.24kWp system. What persuaded me was the 25Y warranty on the Pani panels... and the SolarEdge Monitoring. At trueup I generated 500Kw in excess and had nothing owed. Very happy getting <10$ month electric bills from PG&E. If memory serves, I payed a similar $/w but I upgraded the inverter to ...USS model which allowed for Battery Storage... I haven't yet installed a battery system, and I'm not sure if the technology is still current with the battery systems on the market now... I live in Norcal and had a local (small) installer perform the installation, three days later I was installed, turned on generating (...sshhh) and PTO'ed officially a week or so later...

Lets give credit where credit is due... Thanks to the expert opinions and advise I received on these boards for a successful outcome... I couldn't have researched, sorted out the bad apples from good, and installed without this board and the great experts who volunteered their time and effort to correct my understanding of that dummies book...
            Last edited by JRqwertyui; 10-07-2018, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Lvb
              I'd rather ask for personal's opinion and people's actual experiences, IMHO that's more important than book-knowledge.
              Good luck.

Comment

• Lvb
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by JRqwertyui
                I'm slightly biased towards #1. Exactly the system I installed a year ago...except at 9.24kWp system. What persuaded me was the 25Y warranty on the Pani panels... and the SolarEdge Monitoring. At trueup I generated 500Kw in excess and had nothing owed. Very happy getting <10$ month electric bills from PG&E. If memory serves, I payed a similar $/w but I upgraded the inverter to ...USS model which allowed for Battery Storage... I haven't yet installed a battery system, and I'm not sure if the technology is still current with the battery systems on the market now... I live in Norcal and had a local (small) installer perform the installation, three days later I was installed, turned on generating (...sshhh) and PTO'ed officially a week or so later...
                Do you happen to know exactly the model # of your SolarEdge inverter? Also, are there any Solar optimizer installed with your system? (If so, model #?)

Comment

• JRqwertyui
                  • Jan 2017

My configuration is the following (but I'm sure there are more efficient components (panels and inverters) on the market now):

28 Panasonic VBHN330SA16 modules facing east and west unfortunately with some shading (thus the optimizers)...
                  1 Solaredge SE7600-USS2 Inverter
                  28 Solaredge P400 optmizers
                  25 year extended warranty on the inverter
                  IronRidge racking + Critter Guard
                  Consumption monitoring kit SE-MTTR240-2-200-S1

but again, these components are a year old...
                  Last edited by JRqwertyui; 10-07-2018, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• ay79
                    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                    Rule of thumb I use, beyond such rules being limited to thumbs for best results, is that if a Sunpower system can be installed with the same care and quality for no more than 5% or so more per Watt than the least expensive of all systems being considered, then the S.P. system may be cost competitive - but only if the rest of the system quality is equal and, to repeat, no more than 5% more than the least expensive system available. If you can get a comparable Canadian Solar paneled system for, say, $3.15/Watt for example (only), S.P. might be an option at $3.30/Watt or less.
                    Again, just my opinion and general dart throw.
                    You write "least expensive" system. Do you not think there is any benefit to a higher end panel?

I have quotes using Canadian Solar and Silfab for my MA home with a flat roof that are 25% lower than the quotes using LG, Panasonic and Sunpower. I know you've replied to me in the past that I really should do some hoemwork/analysis do find out what would work best for my situation. All I know is that my rate isn't tiered and it's over 20 cents/kWH.

The rush is a state program that rewards those that apply to it first. Deadline is fast approaching for first round. Subsequent rounds pay 4% less for the 10 year yearly rebate.

Comment

• jflorey2
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ay79
                      You write "least expensive" system. Do you not think there is any benefit to a higher end panel?
                      Sure, there are benefits. If you are limited on roof space, then more efficient panels can help you meet your power goal. If you are in a hot region, then a lower tempco can help.

But just getting "higher end panels" because a sales guy tells you they are high end - no. The specs tell the story. And for most people, the spec that matters most is $/watt.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

I have quotes using Canadian Solar and Silfab for my MA home with a flat roof that are 25% lower than the quotes using LG, Panasonic and Sunpower. I know you've replied to me in the past that I really should do some hoemwork/analysis do find out what would work best for my situation. All I know is that my rate isn't tiered and it's over 20 cents/kWH.

The rush is a state program that rewards those that apply to it first. Deadline is fast approaching for first round. Subsequent rounds pay 4% less for the 10 year yearly rebate.
                        I did write "least expensive", but you're taking it out of the context I intended. Make that most long term cost effective rather than least expensive when talking about fit for purpose designs.

First, I'm for the system that is the safest.

After that, and to clarify, I'd choose the system that, in the opinion of whoever is footing the system purchase and the electric bills the system is supposed to reduce, was designed, including sizing and equipment, to be the best available combination of most fit for purpose and most cost effective for the duty within the constraints imposed by the realities of real life.

Implicit in those choices and determinations is the necessity that whoever is making the choices is knowledge about what the goals are, the various economic tradeoffs that will inevitably be necessary, the type and advantages/limitations/consequences of various equipment choices available, and other things.

If, or to the extent economics with the long term (some call it life cycle costing or other names) in mind plays a role in the decision making process, more expensive equipment may make economic sense - no way to tell until the numbers are run. But, the way it's looking at this time is that such an extra expense may not be economically justifiable when it comes to PV panels.

Reason: PV panels have become a commodity like garage door openers, water softeners and tank type water heaters. At this time, I can seen little if any economic or long term operational benefit to paying a premium for a PV panel in most common situations.

BTW: To those who cite Sunpower's greater area efficiency as a justification for using that product - two things. One, the added cost/STC W for Sunpower may well change the economic sweet spot to a smaller array. And two, it'll almost always be more cost effective to supply the extra output a Sunpower array may provide for the same (limited) area by other means such as use reduction or other conservarion equipment. The idea that a certain offset - usually 100+% - is essential to what seems to be driving the "I must use Sunpower because I'm space limited" (il)logic. Well, you're not space limited as much as use profligate. Turn stuff off 1X/a while.

The rub in all of this is that most potential users are clueless about it and have no intention of learning as exemplified by your statement that all you know is your rate isn't tiered and it's over 20 cents/kWH (sic). Real yearning to be self reliant there. The ignorance is fertile ground for peddlers. Believe me, I was once a peddler.

NOMB or concern, but you and others not knowledgeable of the fundamentals of what you spend many thousands of $$ on are victims of your own willful ignorance. Over the long run, many, if not most with such an outlook would most likely be further ahead economically if you just skip the PV altogether. I'd SWAG that for the first few hours hour spent learning the basics, most potential residential PV users could save a few hundred to a thousand $'s/hr. off the price of a system, and any system subsequently purchased would be safer, smaller and more fit for purpose, not to mention more long term cost effective.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• ay79
                          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by jflorey2
                          Sure, there are benefits. If you are limited on roof space, then more efficient panels can help you meet your power goal. If you are in a hot region, then a lower tempco can help.

But just getting "higher end panels" because a sales guy tells you they are high end - no. The specs tell the story. And for most people, the spec that matters most is $/watt.

So in the northeast with a decent sized roof you'd say just go with the cheaper option?
                          How much can we rely on the testing data for panels?
                          A caveat is that the array on my roof will be flat so will that make them more prone to issues since rain and snow won't run off like it does on angled panels?

Comment

• jflorey2
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

So in the northeast with a decent sized roof you'd say just go with the cheaper option?
                            If there were no other issues (i.e. limited area) - yes. Size the system appropriately then go for the best $/watt.
                            I have found that basic specs (voltages, currents, tempco) are pretty accurate.

Note that you're not talking about some panels someone found on Alibaba from ChenManSolarFun. Canadian Solar and Silfab are both reputable panel manufacturers, and are likely to last as long as Panasonics.

A caveat is that the array on my roof will be flat so will that make them more prone to issues since rain and snow won't run off like it does on angled panels?
                            Correct. You will need to clean them regularly. Completely flat mounted arrays are a bad idea IMO.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

If the array on your roof is horizontal (most arrays or portions/sections of arrays are flat), you can expect much lower annual output than if you face the array south at a tilt of approx. the local latitude. Also, expect a lot of snow accumulation that will additionally and substantially reduce production not only due to snow but also because you will have horizontal pans that wind up as dirt bins and thus reduce the amount of sunlight that reaches the cells.

FWIW, over the last 5 years, I've verified that my array performs pretty much as the spec. sheets for the panels state.

Comment

• ay79
                                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by jflorey2
                                Correct. You will need to clean them regularly. Completely flat mounted arrays are a bad idea IMO.
                                What is the consensus for minimum angulation to be "self cleaning"?
                                I recognize that the ideal angulation for generation would approach 42 degrees which is our latitude here in MA.
                                My roof is not easily accessible and I was told that anything beyond a 10 degree angle will require anchoring in the flat roof which I don't want to do because of the potential for leaks/roof issues.

Comment

Working...