X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Maybe you can get more wind power to help bring down the cost but I feel the POCO's have you over a barrel.
    The souls POCOs have over a barrel are those who accept and buy into the fallacy that they have no control over their energy use, and usually, among other things, blame a bunch of crappy lifestyle choices that are treated as necessities for their high bills as if they were victims.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

The souls POCOs have over a barrel are those who accept and buy into the fallacy that they have no control over their energy use, and usually, among other things, blame a bunch of crappy lifestyle choices that are treated as necessities for their high bills as if they were victims.
      Touche. I agree. People seem to complain about costs being too high yet do nothing different to help themselves by reducing what they are doing to raise those costs.

Comment

• tyab
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2016

I wanted to stay in Austin TX but the wife wanted to move home to crazy California....

PG&E TOUA-R, offpeak hours is $0.26109. Peek hours is $0.27539. TX has some nice rates.

Comment

• photolimo
          • Mar 2015

Any advice on APS rate plan options? I am enjoying the conversation but primarily interested in sorting out how to understand the rate plans I am offered. I understand the long term rates can go up and down but I am happy to assume they will just stay the same. I want to do solar wether the rates go up, down or stay the same.

Comment

• dashadeaux
            • Jan 2017

Photolimo,

You still around, and want answers?

Comment

• photolimo
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by dashadeaux
              Photolimo,

You still around, and want answers?
              Yup, still here. Would love some advice.

Comment

• dashadeaux
                • Jan 2017

First a couple of things:
                1. I cannot provide any help with self installing solar.
                2. The APS rates you've gotten familiar with are changing, and soon. I posted in this forum a little about the coming change a few hours ago, you can find that post by searching for my userid.

If you manage to become a grandfathered solar customer, you will have no assurances that solar will remain as beneficial as it is today. We can make decisions based on the current rates, but it all changes in another few weeks or months. Eventually APS will have to go public with their rate changes, and when they do we can make decisions about what affect those changes will have.

If you are still trying to determine the size of the solar system, I have a tool that will help you a lot. The tool can't predict the resulting APS bill to the penny, but it will get you well within the ballpark. If you are on the 12-7 Time Advantage, or 12-7 Combined Advantage the tool will show you (In detail) what your bill will be with solar for all three rates currently available to you, and it will give you that detail for the years 2007-2017. If you are on the Standard rate plan, it can only show your the bill for that plan. The tool can process up to 12 months of "consecutive" 2016 and 2017 APS history and to start needs the following from you:
                1. The month and year of the first bill.
                2. Optionally the date billing starts for the first month, needed only if you want to evaluate the effects of a solar system.
                3. The kWhs received from APS for each month.
                4. If present, the Demand Charge kW for the month.
                5. The number of days billed for each month.

Once you've confirm the tool is providing you with valid info, you can choose the size of the solar system you want to install, give it an expected annual kWh output and the tool will calculate your expected APS bill for the months you have provided. You are then able to compare apples to apples.

Now the problem. This forum does not provide a way for me to pass you the tool (an Open Office or eXcel spreadsheet), and I do not believe it allows me to send you a private message so we can exchange contact info.

How would you like to proceed?

Comment

• photolimo
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by dashadeaux
                  First a couple of things:
                  1. I cannot provide any help with self installing solar.
                  2. The APS rates you've gotten familiar with are changing, and soon. I posted in this forum a little about the coming change a few hours ago, you can find that post by searching for my userid.

If you manage to become a grandfathered solar customer, you will have no assurances that solar will remain as beneficial as it is today. We can make decisions based on the current rates, but it all changes in another few weeks or months. Eventually APS will have to go public with their rate changes, and when they do we can make decisions about what affect those changes will have.

If you are still trying to determine the size of the solar system, I have a tool that will help you a lot. The tool can't predict the resulting APS bill to the penny, but it will get you well within the ballpark. If you are on the 12-7 Time Advantage, or 12-7 Combined Advantage the tool will show you (In detail) what your bill will be with solar for all three rates currently available to you, and it will give you that detail for the years 2007-2017. If you are on the Standard rate plan, it can only show your the bill for that plan. The tool can process up to 12 months of "consecutive" 2016 and 2017 APS history and to start needs the following from you:
                  1. The month and year of the first bill.
                  2. Optionally the date billing starts for the first month, needed only if you want to evaluate the effects of a solar system.
                  3. The kWhs received from APS for each month.
                  4. If present, the Demand Charge kW for the month.
                  5. The number of days billed for each month.

Once you've confirm the tool is providing you with valid info, you can choose the size of the solar system you want to install, give it an expected annual kWh output and the tool will calculate your expected APS bill for the months you have provided. You are then able to compare apples to apples.

Now the problem. This forum does not provide a way for me to pass you the tool (an Open Office or eXcel spreadsheet), and I do not believe it allows me to send you a private message so we can exchange contact info.

How would you like to proceed?
                  Thanks, I do have a system already designed based on my own calculations using tools I found on the internet but I could not anticipate the rate plan I was going to get on.

I did get my APS application submitted last month and I have a city permit to get it installed. I am just waiting on APS to approve my application. They kicked it back because I did not label fences (which there are none) and they say the inverter was listed wrong (no idea what that means).

I am currently on the Standard rate plan.

Maybe you could list a dropbox link or google drive link?

Comment

• dashadeaux
                    • Jan 2017

I've seen something that indicates we can use Private Messaging. Looking into that now. Failing the PM concept, I'll check into dropbox and google drive, both are new to me.

P.S. Private messaging is not turned on for this forum... how unfortunate. Well, duhhh, the forum user can turn on Private Messaging in their Profile.

P.P.S. Photolimo, I have turned on Private Messaging in my Profile. Please visit my Profile to see if you can send me a PM.
                    Last edited by dashadeaux; 08-02-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...