Where to start - converting from generator/UPS to more reasonable solar / powerwall?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by 2tall4economy
    And as far as the solar goes, yeah probably not required, but if I won't need the generator anyway, might as well sell it and us the money to buy solar panels to save on energy.
    So how does that work on cloudy days and night?

75 Kw generator for a 4 Kw load?

MSEE, PE

Comment

• adoublee
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
      But what I don't get is that some people still believe that a solar/battery system is cheaper to run as an Emergency backup power supply then a properly sized and designed fossil fueled generator.
      I agree some are confused about cost differential, but it's not an apples to apples comparison. In theory one system is put to use daily and then is there if the grid is gone. The other is a resource that sits there being unused. One is loud and might stink, the other is silent and doesn't depend on outside fuel. If you have the money and enjoy the tech/elegance - there are many worse ways money could be spent.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by adoublee

I agree some are confused about cost differential, but it's not an apples to apples comparison. In theory one system is put to use daily and then is there if the grid is gone. The other is a resource that sits there being unused. One is loud and might stink, the other is silent and doesn't depend on outside fuel. If you have the money and enjoy the tech/elegance - there are many worse ways money could be spent.
        While most of those that feel it is better to depend on solar and batteries instead of depending on an outside fuel source to provide their electricity, I say that the highest probability that will take down the grid for an extended period of time will probably be an event that will also take out most of the solar panels ability to recharge those batteries.

Comment

• 2tall4economy
          • Feb 2017

While most of those that feel it is better to depend on solar and batteries instead of depending on an outside fuel source to provide their electricity, I say that the highest probability that will take down the grid for an extended period of time will probably be an event that will also take out most of the solar panels ability to recharge those batteries.
          would be curious what such an event would be - something like volcanic action whereby the atmosphere gets solar blockage?

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

would be curious what such an event would be - something like volcanic action whereby the atmosphere gets solar blockage?
            Around here it might be a severe wind storm/tornado, big hail or big snow. An ice storm shut us down for a week. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Gone with the wind, hail storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, thunderstorms, ice storms, blizzards, wildfire, floods, and earthquakes.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Volcanic would be one type. Just about any weather related that produces winds or debris, ice storms, blizzards, floods, along with earthquakes all can severely damage the arrays to the point no longer producing enough to recharge a battery system. Some could be short term others much - much longer.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

..........I say that the highest probability that will take down the grid for an extended period of time will probably be an event that will also take out most of the solar panels ability to recharge those batteries........
                  Hurricane, blows debris around, smashes the glass PV panels. Even 1 plastic flamingo can take out a row of panels at 60mph. Or ice storms, Wind that takes down power lines can also blow the panels off the roof, or blow ice/hail onto them. Or it could just be cloudy and panels produce nothing, like mine do for weeks in the winter,

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250

Hurricane, blows debris around, smashes the glass PV panels. Even 1 plastic flamingo can take out a row of panels at 60mph. Or ice storms, Wind that takes down power lines can also blow the panels off the roof, or blow ice/hail onto them. Or it could just be cloudy and panels produce nothing, like mine do for weeks in the winter,
                    I am afraid that most people feel the lack of fuel for a generator is the weak link to an emergency power supply but fail to realize the weak link are the solar panels themselves.

It is what I call the lack of vertical thinking.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

I am afraid that most people feel the lack of fuel for a generator is the weak link to an emergency power supply but fail to realize the weak link are the solar panels themselves.

It is what I call the lack of vertical thinking.
                      Those same people lack Critical Thinking and Problem Solving skills. Something they quit teaching in school decades ago. Those same people think generators use gasoline.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking

Those same people lack Critical Thinking and Problem Solving skills. Something they quit teaching in school decades ago. Those same people think generators use gasoline.
                        I actually like the term Critical to vertical thinking. Seems it might be easier for some people to comprehend.

I have spent a lot of time learning to perform root cause analysis for problem solving at work that I try to stop "cliff jumping" at the "obvious" solution. So I find that I have to look outside the box at things that might be the real reasons that cause the problem.

It is amazing that once you get past someone's fears about something you can find the real reason of an issue.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

I actually like the term Critical to vertical thinking. Seems it might be easier for some people to comprehend.

I have spent a lot of time learning to perform root cause analysis for problem solving at work that I try to stop "cliff jumping" at the "obvious" solution. So I find that I have to look outside the box at things that might be the real reasons that cause the problem.

It is amazing that once you get past someone's fears about something you can find the real reason of an issue.
                          FWIW, a long time ago I thought I was ahead of the game when I (looking back, probably erroneously) figured and felt I had internalized thinking outside the box until one of my older mentors asked a simple and socratic question: Why not simply get rid of the box ? Seems to make more sense as I get older.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

FWIW, a long time ago I thought I was ahead of the game when I (looking back, probably erroneously) figured and felt I had internalized thinking outside the box until one of my older mentors asked a simple and socratic question: Why not simply get rid of the box ? Seems to make more sense as I get older.
                            Well I would say that the "box" is the comfort zone for most people and they choose not to go outside of it for a lot of reasons. The first being fear as I mentioned above. Once you get past the fear of something you can accomplish a lot more because you can see more. Getting rid of the box would be akin to going naked which is not something a lot of people want to even think about.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Well I would say that the "box" is the comfort zone for most people and they choose not to go outside of it for a lot of reasons. The first being fear as I mentioned above. Once you get past the fear of something you can accomplish a lot more because you can see more. Getting rid of the box would be akin to going naked which is not something a lot of people want to even think about.
                              And I'd suggest to their own self inflicted loss in the sense that fortune favors the bold (and, by my limited observation, slaughters the foolish and unprepared), both materially and intellectually. Interestingly (perhaps), your naked analogy describes what was often a characteristic of ancient (Greek) cynics before the word took a more modern meaning from the negative aspects of what today would likely be called an ascetic lifestyle.

But all this has little to do with the name over the door, so back to business for me.

Comment

• adoublee
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Sunking

Those same people think generators use gasoline.
                                I bet the family of this family wishes there was no such thing as a gasoline generator.

A Detroit woman and her two children were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning after using a generator indoors

Comment

Working...