X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by reader2580

Are you talking about 690.47 (D) that requires a grounding electrode at the array?
    Yep 690.47(D).as well as 690.47(C)(1). "C" for chaos, and "D" for death.

I am a moderator on Mike Holf Code Forum. Mike and us Moderators did a 30 minute video specifically on 690.47 (D). You can watch the Video and in the first 90 seconds Mike makes a very bold statement that shook the industry.

Last edited by Sunking; 02-18-2017, 09:04 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• SWFLA
      • Jan 2017

That was going to be what I thought my first legitimate question on this site. Once again well done! Have been a long time troller of MH forums. Then I found SPT. My city in Florida has you sign an owner-builder affidavit then sends you over to solar ABCs to make your plan to expedite the permitting process.
      Last edited by SWFLA; 02-19-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• reader2580
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by tyab
        I'm not sure what the OP can do in his case. Maybe downsize the system to afford it from a licensed contractor or just eat the contractor margin. At least if you own the system you are eligible for that fed tax credit.
        My current plan is for a 8,200 watt system at a cost of about $1.25 a watt. I expect going with a solar contractor would cost around $3 a watt so I would end up with maybe a 4,000 watt system.

I believe I have found an electrician who will work with me for a whole lot less than a solar contractor if I need it.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by SWFLA
          That was going to be what I thought my first legitimate question on this site. Once again well done! Have been a long time troller of MH forums. Then I found SPT. My city in Florida has you sign an owner-builder affidavit then sends you over to solar ABCs to make your plan to expedite the permitting process.
          How much of the work can perform on your own pv system?

I am hoping that Florida may be stepping up to allow more qualified home owners to do more of the work as opposed to a few years ago where only solar certified contractors being able to do it.

Comment

• SWFLA
            • Jan 2017

I can do it all, since I'm not getting gov't help. Will keep you posted as to how it works. I have the choice of having a third-party inspector, will cost me about $200 extra sounds like it might be a good thing.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

I can do it all, since I'm not getting gov't help. Will keep you posted as to how it works. I have the choice of having a third-party inspector, will cost me about $200 extra sounds like it might be a good thing.
              Thanks. My plans are to build a home in the Brooksville area later this year. I have looked at the county codes but they are still a little hazy as to what work I can do myself and what I am required to have a certified installer do with that type of work.

Also I am not sure what requirements my new POCO, Withlacoochee Electric will demand for an approved grid tie system.

Comment

• reader2580
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2017

I talked to the inspector today and he said he will not allow homeowners to install solar systems. He said that no matter what the the state says that he has the final say for the city. His reasoning is that the codes for solar are so complex that he would spend way too much time on a homeowner solar project. I don't know if there is an appeals process, but not going to bother as I don't need to piss off the guy for any future work.

He did offer the option that I could work with a licensed electrician who has done solar before. I found a guy who is licensed and has done solar installations who would help for around $1,000 plus permit cost. I have to decide if it is even worth doing solar if I have to pay someone $1,000 just to pull a permit and review my plans.

Comment

• SWFLA
                  • Jan 2017

My POCO only needs a passed inspection faxed over and $35 to install new meter. It is a co-op.

Comment

• SWFLA
                    • Jan 2017

A little info on net metering here. flaseia*org/education/solar-laws/customer-owned-renewable/
                    We just voted down a huge POCO deal that was bad.
                    Look up amendment 1 FlorIda solar. Amendment 4 was big too. And no sales tax on solar goods.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

A little info on net metering here. flaseia*org/education/solar-laws/customer-owned-renewable/
                      We just voted down a huge POCO deal that was bad.
                      Look up amendment 1 FlorIda solar. Amendment 4 was big too. And no sales tax on solar goods.
                      Oh. I am very familiar with Amendment 1. IMO voting it down was a win for the customers of FL.

While I have looked at the forms concerning Net Metering for my new POCO it isn't clear yet on what I can or can't do. Since the home is not built yet I figure I would explore the rules later this year.

Comment

Working...