No announcement yet.

A newbie's questions on a grid tied system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've a professionally installed 4.25kW system, and get what I expected. BUT, couldn't a single about 250 watt panel be connected to an enPhase M215 and "plugged in" to an outlet and work, particularly when his meter is bidirectional? The inverter automatically shuts down so there is no danger to the POCO system or him. No there wouldn't be much savings (less than $5 a month), and he probably couldn't get any federal/state tax credit or possible POCO rebate (hey, I live in South Carolina where Duke was coerced into stupid business deals) but it would work and give him something to play with. (I've considered it myself just to experiment with mounting angles.)

Comment

Originally posted by gbynum View Post
      I've a professionally installed 4.25kW system, and get what I expected. BUT, couldn't a single about 250 watt panel be connected to an enPhase M215 and "plugged in" to an outlet and work, particularly when his meter is bidirectional?
      No, for several reasons.

1) The M215 requires 240 volts and will not work at 120 volts.
      2) It's probably not to code (depending on where you live.) Code generally requires a dedicated hardwired line.
      3) Even if it did work, it violates your agreement with the POCO - and modern meters can detect this very easily. So you get shut down and fined. (Note that if you already have the approval this doesn't apply - but still not a good idea.)

Comment

Originally posted by gbynum View Post
        I've a professionally installed 4.25kW system, and get what I expected. BUT, couldn't a single about 250 watt panel be connected to an enPhase M215 and "plugged in" to an outlet and work, particularly when his meter is bidirectional? The inverter automatically shuts down so there is no danger to the POCO system or him.
        You are not a professional if you don't know why this will not work.

M215 is 240 volt not 120V
        you would void the UL listing by modifying it with a plug
        definitely not to any code in the US (no disconnect, hot plug, not dedicated circuit, no labels, random feed in breaker instead of end of bus, etc.)
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
        X