X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by bcroe

Perhaps each optimizer just keep pushing up its output voltage until until enough power is drawn to put
    its panel at MPP. The inverter could just keep taking more energy from the optimizer string until the
    total voltage drops to around 350V. The potential for instability is high.
    possibly something like that but the optimizers spit out higher voltage than they take in usually.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
      Perhaps each optimizer just keep pushing up its output voltage until until enough power is drawn to put
      its panel at MPP.
      Except this is a two-quadrant optimizer; it can increase or decrease voltage and still be at MPP. So it needs a target.
      Originally posted by butchdeal
      also it tells the optimizers very quickly the opposite, (rapid) shut down now
      If it's failsafe (and I expect it is) the inverter may drive the shutdown by NOT telling the optimizers anything for some time (10 seconds?) If the optimizers hear nothing for a while, they shut down. That way a loss of power, or disconnect, or fatal SW bug causes a shutdown automatically.

Although earlier Solaredge installations need a big relay to achieve 690.12 compliance, so maybe not.

Comment

• adoublee
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by jflorey2

Although earlier Solaredge installations need a big relay to achieve 690.12 compliance
        A big relay to achieve 690.12 compliance? That's news to me.

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by adoublee
          A big relay to achieve 690.12 compliance? That's news to me.
          Google "Solaredge rapid shutdown kit."

Edited to add - never mind, I'm wrong. The kit is just a new cable set with a new gadget on it. I assumed the switch had to be replaced as well so I assumed a relay, but it's just two cables in the inverter that need replacement.
          Last edited by jflorey2; 01-06-2017, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

If it's failsafe (and I expect it is) the inverter may drive the shutdown by NOT telling the optimizers anything for some time (10 seconds?) If the optimizers hear nothing for a while, they shut down. That way a loss of power, or disconnect, or fatal SW bug causes a shutdown automatically.
            The shutdown command could and clearly is lack of communication as you are disconnecting the optimizers form the inverter with the DC disconnect to engage it.
            My point is that they are clearly getting some communication on a much faster bases from the inverter to operate.

Although earlier Solaredge installations need a big relay to achieve 690.12 compliance, so maybe not.
            The rapid shut down kit was just a wire with built in resistor. Not sure what you mean by a big relay.

The inverters all have it built in now.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

The shutdown kit is 5 sets of wires good to converter 5 older inverters. One wire has a resistor.
              It is and has been built in to all the inverters for some time now though.

Last edited by ButchDeal; 01-06-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• adoublee
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2009

It's a firmware change and cable replacement in the DC switch (incorporated into inverters shipping now I believe). No big relay.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Except this is a two-quadrant optimizer; it can increase or
                  decrease voltage and still be at MPP. So it needs a target.
                  Yes I'm suggesting the target is to take enough energy from the panel (and deliver it to the inverter
                  string) to put the panel at MPP. For example if the optimizer output is 28V @ 8A (224W) but the MPP
                  would deliver 240W thru the optimizer, the optimizer will jack up its output to 30V @ 8A to get on MPP.

If the inverter sees the string voltage getting too high, it will pull say 8.2A and the optimizer above
                  will adjust to 29.3V out to get back on MPP. Bruce Roe

Comment

• solarix
                    Super Moderator
                    • Apr 2015

Yes, the inverter communicates with the optimizers, but not for the purpose of running the optimizer's control loops.
                    Last edited by solarix; 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM.
                    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...