X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BP6666VR
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by pclausen
    To give you an idea, here's a link to components used for a small cabin sized 1 kw system off grid system.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/189070...d-solar-system

So you're looking at about $6,500 plus a battery bank capable of holding about 400 Ah, which will set you back another $1,500 or so.

Off grid systems are much more expensive that grid tied systems, so if grid tied is an option, I would follow Mike's advice above, and go that route instead.
    Hi pclausen,
    Yes before i started I was aware of the prices, now i am in U$D 1,597.26 just for Solar stuff, this does not include electrical cables and batteries 6V / 225 AH = U$D 206 per piece

i think i like this new hobby and hope my small house test will work ... the grid-tied-in could come in the future .... as some companies are investing HUGE amounts in solar ... and they told me they are talking to the power suppliers for grid-tied-in .. we see what the future brings..

Good day,
    Andre

Comment

• BP6666VR
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Sunking
      It maybe high quality, but none of it made to work with each other.

Let me give you an example. You want a 5000/10,000 watt Inverter. Do you have a clue what it takes to support such a beast? Allow me to clue you in. It takes?

Battery Minimum = 48 volts @ 1000 AH. That is a 3000 lb or 1360 Kg costing around $9000.
      80 to 100 Amp MPPT Charge Controller
      4000 to 5000 watt Solar Panel.

What you have is a 400 watt of panels and 400 watts can only support:

12 volt 250 AH Battery
      40 Amp Mppt Controller\
      600 watt Inverter.

Do you see any problems? Everything has to be matched up. What you have is a 100 car freight train of an Inverter connected up to a bicycle as the Engine. You are going to brake the bicycle trying to pull a train with it.

That was my third post , actually replying to Mike & asking a question, as you can see i did not nor put it on the original purchased list ... so is ANYTHING I BOUGHT in the original post ""none of it made to work with each other""

EDIT; OHH ya from the 8 of the original list it seems only 1 is too small, and that is the 12v waterpump ....

Good day, Andre
      Last edited by BP6666VR; 11-29-2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• BP6666VR
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by pclausen
        To give you an idea, here's a link to components used for a small cabin sized 1 kw system off grid system.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/189070...d-solar-system

So you're looking at about $6,500 plus a battery bank capable of holding about 400 Ah, which will set you back another $1,500 or so.

Off grid systems are much more expensive that grid tied systems, so if grid tied is an option, I would follow Mike's advice above, and go that route instead.
        THIS IS A GREAT SITE you forward here, as this is a dilemma i did not understand yet, but for sure you guys can answer that, OK i will try to ask the question;

If you click on Breaker Box on that site you can see ""MidNite Solar MNEPV 15 amp 150VDC din rail mount breaker"" so i went to the electrical shops and they do not have DC breakers, grrrrr SO how is it possible to have 150VDC if the system is only 12volt ??

I found these following breakers for the house, would that work ?? 4Piece / 3A DC 125V Circuit breaker MCB
        4Piece / 6A DC 125V Circuit breaker MCB
        2Piece / 16A DC 125V Circuit breaker MCB

So why doesn't it have to be 12/24 DC breakers ???

Now my second question; I bought a "sewage pump septic" and it is 24Volt, but my system will only be 12 Volt (for now) so I need a step-up ""RCNUN @ Step Up DC DC Converter 12 Volt to 24 Volt 20 Amps Boost Power Module 12V-24V 480W"" i am worried about the 480W part ?? but looking at the breaker info it seems it could work if i just in-line-fuse this step-up to the 24v pump ??

Good day,
        Andre

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Your battery system is 24V or 12Vyour pv system is 150V.
          The mppt charger will convert down to the 24V or 12V

You would be better off with 24V battery and get a smaller ( cheaper) 24V to 12V buck converter for the smaller 12V loads.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• BP6666VR
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by ButchDeal
            Your battery system is 24V or 12Vyour pv system is 150V.
            The mppt charger will convert down to the 24V or 12V

You would be better off with 24V battery and get a smaller ( cheaper) 24V to 12V buck converter for the smaller 12V loads.
            Yes I understood that but my limitations are the choices of battery, see below:

1. Trojan / w/acid / 6V / 225 AH = U$D 206 per piece
            2. Bintrac MF 1050 / 12V / 80 AH = U$D 115 per piece
            3. N 180 / 12V / 180 AH = U$D 214 per piece

So the 225 AH seems to fit perfect for my system

So instead of taking 2 x 12 volt, I have 3 options,

Buy a 12 volt sewage pump, about U$D60
            Or
            Step-up ( maybe not a good idea)
            Or
            Or go for 2* 12v / 180AH = 360 AH... That is a lot less then the 450 AH from the 6 volt ??

So what would you do?? The cheapest way is to order the same sewage pump for 12 volt??
            Last edited by BP6666VR; 11-30-2016, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by BP6666VR
              Or go for 2* 12v / 180AH = 360 AH... That is a lot less then the 450 AH from the 6 volt ??
              you seem very confused about this. if you take two 12V batteries of 180ah each and put them in series to get 24V then the AH does NOT change.
              if you put them in parallel then the AH doubles but the voltage stays the same.

Double voltage, AH doesn't change
              double AH then voltage doesn't change.

so what you could do is get four 6V batteries in series for 24V 225Ah
              most of your big loads will work and you can get a 24V to 12V buck converter for the 12V loads.

Comment

• BP6666VR
                • Nov 2016

you seem very confused about this. if you take two 12V batteries of 180ah each and put them in series to get 24V then the AH does NOT change.
                if you put them in parallel then the AH doubles but the voltage stays the same.

Double voltage, AH doesn't change
                double AH then voltage doesn't change.

so what you could do is get four 6V batteries in series for 24V 225Ah
                most of your big loads will work and you can get a 24V to 12V buck converter for the 12V loads.
                Ok got it now, very clear how you explained that, something to think about... Coz 4 of these 6v batteries are quite expensive, ha ha

Can you also explain about the fuse box questions? Why is it stated DC 125 v... So what is / are in your fuse boxes??

Good day,
                Andre

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

there are many fuse boxes.
                  I don't know which ones you are talking about but I suspect that you are talking about a fused solar combiner. These are typically at 150V DC for a battery system and you only need fuses if there are more than two strings.

Comment

• BP6666VR
                    • Nov 2016

there are many fuse boxes.
                    I don't know which ones you are talking about but I suspect that you are talking about a fused solar combiner. These are typically at 150V DC for a battery system and you only need fuses if there are more than two strings.
                    Fused Solar Combiner = combining the 4 Solar panel to 1 wire = these I have already, just a simple combiner block with fuses I found in my garage.

I am talking about the Breaker Box from the Battery to the house / lights / pumps / etc.

If you follow the link that Pclausen posted then you can click on Breaker Box on that site you can see ""MidNite Solar MNEPV 15 amp 150VDC din rail mount breaker"" SO how is it possible to have 150VDC if the system is only 12volt ??

I found these following breakers online for the house, would that work ??
                    4Piece / 3A DC 125V Circuit breaker MCB
                    4Piece / 6A DC 125V Circuit breaker MCB
                    2Piece / 16A DC 125V Circuit breaker MCB

So why doesn't it have to be 12/24 DC breakers ???

Good Day
                    Andre

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

If you follow the link that Pclausen posted then you can click on Breaker Box on that site you can see ""MidNite Solar MNEPV 15 amp 150VDC din rail mount breaker"" SO how is it possible to have 150VDC if the system is only 12volt ??
                      Those are combiners for the pv side not for the battery side.

Comment

• BP6666VR
                        • Nov 2016

Those are combiners for the pv side not for the battery side.
                        Hi ButchDeal

These are combiners ??

MidNite Solar MNEPV 15 amp 150VDC din rail mount breaker

High quality DC and AC circuit breakers

100% duty rated
                        Wide range of sizes available from 120Vac up to 600Vdc

Unquote

So what breakers are after the battery to the utility feeds??

Good day
                        Andre
                        Attached Files

Comment

• BP6666VR
                          • Nov 2016

This picture is the combiner blocks I found in my garage, so 4 Solar panel RED wire will combine into 1 wire.... Is this correct or not??

Good day, André
                          Attached Files

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

MNEPV the "pv"is the hint.

Look for MNEDC- parts. The voltage rating is the max so it doesn't hurt to have higher voltage rating.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

This picture is the combiner blocks I found in my garage, so 4 Solar panel RED wire will combine into 1 wire.... Is this correct or not??

Good day, André
                              That is a DC distribution box not really a combiner. I doubt it is rated for 150v DC

Comment

• BP6666VR
                                • Nov 2016

MNEPV the "pv"is the hint.

Look for MNEDC- parts. The voltage rating is the max so it doesn't hurt to have higher voltage rating.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/printPriceList.php#39
                                Great info on the DC breakers, so I found the correct ones, I will order the box / rail / DC breakers / for the utility side of the system

Good day, Andre

Comment

Working...