X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by silversaver

No, the price tag will not be starting $35k. It should start about $42k. The 2018 confirm with 310 miles range without Tesla motor or battery. insider news shhhhhh~~~~ no one is gonna buy the 2017....
    Thanx for the info. All the more reason to sit/watch for a while longer as long as I can beat the reaper for a few more years.

Comment

• silversaver
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2013

the 50 millions each from MB and Toyota help Tesla went public, both MB and Toyota made bigger profit than Tesla itself. I'm not sure what will happen for Tesla in next few years since the cars are overpriced, but it aint bright.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

the 50 millions each from MB and Toyota help Tesla went public, both MB and Toyota made bigger profit than Tesla itself. I'm not sure what will happen for Tesla in next few years since the cars are overpriced, but it aint bright.
        Musk is a con man.

Comment

• billy1
          billy1 commented
          Editing a comment
          it's not a con if you know, read his mission statements.
      • FFE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Thanx for the confirmation. On the spreadsheet, did you use 15 minute/hourly actuals for usage or something else ?
        I used the previous year's peak, off peak and super off peak for each month. Then I put in the production and came up with the cost each month. That is how I specified the system size. I could have ran it with super short intervals, but I didn't. I was trying to get a zero bill with a little extra production for expected degradation and normal increases in consumption. That is why I ended up with $68 extra
        Last edited by FFE; 11-10-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FFE
          I used the previous year's peak, off peak and super off peak for each month. Then I put in the production and came up with the cost each month. That is how I specified the system size. I could have ran it with super short intervals, but I didn't. I was trying to get a zero bill with a little extra production for expected degradation and normal increases in consumption. That is why I ended up with $68 extra
          Understood. Thank you.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

No, the price tag will not be starting $35k. It should start about $42k. The 2018 confirm with 310 miles range without Tesla motor or battery. insider news shhhhhh~~~~ no one is gonna buy the 2017....
            The add I saw showed the new E model MB that would go 300 miles would be an SUV but would cost somewhere in the $50k area. Not something for the general populace like most MB vehicles.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Thanx for the info. All the more reason to sit/watch for a while longer as long as I can beat the reaper for a few more years.
              Watch your diet and staying out of traffic will help extend your life. At least that is what my Dr tells me.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                Watch your diet and staying out of traffic will help extend your life. At least that is what my Dr tells me.
                I'm trying my best. 1,200 cal/day. Lots of exercise. BMI 22.7. Goal is to die at the hands of a jealous husband @ age 110 caught in flagrante delicto while getting tag teamed by his super hot 25 yr. old wife and her identical twin. SWMBO says not to worry about husband. She'll give me rectal lead poisoning.

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

You will also live longer if you consume only 100% organic power.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• silversaver
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2013

Here is my almost $0 SEC true up. After CA climate credit on April and October of $38 each total of $76, I'm getting $52 refund. I have used up all my TOU credit cover 100% usage + 2 EVs with about 27k miles on them, not a bad year after all. In 2016, I have paid SEC in total of $48.02. But I'm getting a check from them for $52, so I'm still get refund of $3.98 haha.

From 12/14/2015 to 12/13/2016, my solar generated 11,753kWh and I consumed 7,680kWh from SEC with total consumption of 19,433kWh. Not a bad deal

Summary 2016.jpg

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Here is my almost $0 SEC true up. After CA climate credit on April and October of $38 each total of $76, I'm getting $52 refund. I have used up all my TOU credit cover 100% usage + 2 EVs with about 27k miles on them, not a bad year after all. In 2016, I have paid SEC in total of $48.02. But I'm getting a check from them for $52, so I'm still get refund of $3.98 haha.

From 12/14/2015 to 12/13/2016, my solar generated 11,753kWh and I consumed 7,680kWh from SEC with total consumption of 19,433kWh. Not a bad deal

Summary 2016.jpg
                      Thanx for the info. Looks like a good example of how T.O.U. can have a real advantage over tiered rates. Any idea of how you would have done if on tiered rates ?

Comment

• silversaver
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2013

Thanx for the info. Looks like a good example of how T.O.U. can have a real advantage over tiered rates. Any idea of how you would have done if on tiered rates ?
                        hmmm... I'll be fark....

Comment

• lemonsocal
                          • Jul 2016

I'm also trying to size up the solar system that I need.

I use 16,000kWh per year.
                          I am on TOU-D-B right now; 9% on peak, 23% off peak, 68% super off peak (run pool pump and Chevy Volt at night).
                          I have a bid for a 7.7kW system with projected annual production of 10,300kWh (have some shading issues).

I plan to move to TOU-D-A after the solar install.
                          Does the size of this system seem about right?

Thanks

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by lemonsocal
                            I'm also trying to size up the solar system that I need.

I use 16,000kWh per year.
                            I am on TOU-D-B right now; 9% on peak, 23% off peak, 68% super off peak (run pool pump and Chevy Volt at night).
                            I have a bid for a 7.7kW system with projected annual production of 10,300kWh (have some shading issues).

I plan to move to TOU-D-A after the solar install.
                            Does the size of this system seem about right?

Thanks
                            In the sense it might not be oversized, yes.

One way to look at it is to treat the PV array as a revenue producer only, see what PVWatts estimates hourly generation for over one year by hour, modify that for estimated shading losses, which seem kind of high, multiply each hourly output by (each hour's rate minus the non bypassable charges), and sum the 8,760 hourly revenue generation. That will give some idea of what the array will produce in terms of $$ if treated as a revenue source.

Takes a little work and understanding of the tariff structure you're under, and your shading loss is something PVWatts won't give you, but after that, you can tailor your array size to whatever you see fit with a semi reasonable estimate of the impact different sizes will have on your bill.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-07-2017, 11:53 PM. Reason: Damn it. I hate when I screw up. Correct to 8,760 hours/yr. with apologies for caused confuision.

Comment

• FFE
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2015

Lemonsocal, If you are in SCE territory and those % numbers are for the year, that system should be more than sufficient. If you are at the 9%,23% and 68% for your winter bills only, then I don't have enough info.

For me me to get my "$0" bill I assumed my household would use the following on TOU-A NEM 1.0:
                              About 220 kWh off peak+on peak and 450 kWh super off peak November to April.
                              About 300 kWh off peak+on peak and 450 kWh super off peak May and October.
                              About 500 kWh off peak+on peak and 500 kWh super off peak September.
                              About 725 kWh off peak+on peak and 700 kWh super off peak June to August.

I had a system with about 7,000 kWh expected annual production installed. I ended up charging the EV's during off peak three billing cycles last year to avoid the minimum charge since it looked like my system would be more than sufficient to balance the true up.

Comment

Working...