X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FFE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2015

My $0 SCE bill

Slightly misleading title. First year anniversary with NEM. Total paid to SCE since starting: Just under $39. Anniversary bill -$68. So technically SCE gave me a $29 credit. So better than a $0 bill! A perfect scenario would be a $76 credit (CA Climate credit for one year). I came within $8 of that so I am very happy. I achieved this by sizing my array to cover 60% of my kWh needs, aggressive load shifting to Super off peak along with charging two battery vehicles at night only. Of course over the next 12 months I will make a little less from my array and we are switching one car from a plug in hybrid to full electric. So I will be paying some to SCE in 12 months. Might have to reduce the A/C useage to keep the amount to a minimum. The best laid plans of mice and men...
  • silversaver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

I know exactly how you felt because I have about the same bills. I'm currently under 11th month of relevent period withdraw about 6800kWh from SCE. Looks like I might withdraw another 950kWh from SCE base on my Dec 2015 usage till end of relevant period. My solar production is about 400kWh less than 2015, estimate about 11,000kWh on a 7.1 kW system.

How's your last bill look like?
    11th month.jpg
    current.jpg

Comment

• FFE
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2015

It seems like we have a good time of year to true up. A few months after the summer to get everything figured out. Mine looked like this:
      Attached Files

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FFE
        Slightly misleading title. First year anniversary with NEM. Total paid to SCE since starting: Just under $39. Anniversary bill -$68. So technically SCE gave me a $29 credit. So better than a $0 bill! A perfect scenario would be a $76 credit (CA Climate credit for one year). I came within $8 of that so I am very happy. I achieved this by sizing my array to cover 60% of my kWh needs, aggressive load shifting to Super off peak along with charging two battery vehicles at night only. Of course over the next 12 months I will make a little less from my array and we are switching one car from a plug in hybrid to full electric. So I will be paying some to SCE in 12 months. Might have to reduce the A/C useage to keep the amount to a minimum. The best laid plans of mice and men...
        If I understand what you write correctly, your sizing to cover 60% of your bill, and the apparent lower bills that time shifting and T.O.U. enabled, resulted in a smaller bill than you had perhaps anticipated had you stayed on tiered rates. Do I have that about right/close ?

If so, good conforming info for what some have been saying for some time. Makes me wish I'd done more homework or guessed better 3+ yrs. ago when sizing my stuff with a future EV in mind without knowing/considering what the future of T.O.U. might be.

Thanx for the info.

Comment

• DanKegel
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Yeah, thanks for the info!

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          when sizing my stuff with a future EV in mind without knowing/considering what the future of T.O.U. might be.
          The future of T.O.U., at least in states that install lots of solar and/or wind, is going to be interesting; the cheap times of day for power won't be what they are now.

J.P.M., did you end up getting that EV, or are you waiting for one with better range to come along?

Comment

• FFE
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2015

JPM, that sounds about right. I ran some scenarios through a spreadsheet to figure out how to get a $0 bill using a smaller system and TOU. I figured I needed to cover about 60% of my annual kWh. The side benefit was that with the new minimum bill that the CPUC approved I managed to only pay about $26 of it due to the way it is calculated. The other taxes and fees make up the rest. I ended the year with a $$ energy credit (but not a kWh credit) with SCE which they will pay out up to the amount of the CA Climate credit (I know JPM know this). So, if I request a check from SCE it will be bigger than all I have paid SCE since starting NEM. Better than a $0 bill.

Comment

• FFE
              FFE commented
              Editing a comment
              SCE is sending me a check since I didn't have a preference selected for the True Up. And just to be 100% clear, the check is for over $29 more than I paid them since starting NEM. Better than a $0 bill.
          • SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

The time to get that EV may be now before the state of CA secedes from the US. At least that is the scuttlebutt being broadcasted on NBC.
            Last edited by SunEagle; 11-10-2016, 12:32 PM. Reason: changed font for sarcasim.

Comment

• billy1
              billy1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm speaking for all California......we decided to stay like just like Texas.

• SunEagle
              SunEagle commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to hear. I would hate to see everyone out there leave the US.
          • J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanKegel
            Yeah, thanks for the info!

The future of T.O.U., at least in states that install lots of solar and/or wind, is going to be interesting; the cheap times of day for power won't be what they are now.

J.P.M., did you end up getting that EV, or are you waiting for one with better range to come along?
            I suspect T.O.U. rates and times, particularly times for this conversion, will be responsive to demand. Highly theoretical example: If everyone were to adopt time shifting such that it resulted in a large increase in use at nite, say midnite to 5 A.M, POCOs will attempt to change rates and/or T.O.U. times in such a way as to maximize revenue and /or balance loads.

My overall guess is that things will, as always, regress toward the mean with supply/demand being the driving mechanism. In that example, time shifting by users may well tend to increase off peak rates and also tend to apply less upward pressure on peak time pricing.

As for my EV intentions and attempting brevity: Not yet.

As for why not yet:
            - I never buy the first issue. I've no patience with being a beta tester, so probably 2 more yrs. or so, maybe more, maybe less.
            - Ideal, pie in the sky EV, using the reach exceeding grasp criteria for me at this time: 2 ea. 300 mile range batteries, switchable on the fly, changeable like 25 lb. barbeque propane tanks at charging stations that look like car washes or chargeable at home @ a rate of ~ 20 miles of range /hr. of charging, usual bells/whistles/warranty on something that doesn't look like a tinker toy, all for < $35 K driveoff.

I expect I'll be waiting a while if I hold out on criteria - probably 6 ft. under.

Reality and age/ability to drive will likely force compromises with the above criteria.

The old fart, entitled, white dude part of me would love a red Tesla model S P90D. The engineer/reality/saner part of me will prevail (settle ??), if I get anything at all, for something with ~ 200 miles of range.

Whatever the choice, it'll be something not associated with Elon Musk.
            Last edited by J.P.M.; 11-10-2016, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• w00dy
              • Jul 2015

We got a red LEAF to satisfy the Red Tesla craving my son and wife have...being more practical an all
              LEAF-Logo1.jpg

Comment

• billy1
                billy1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you just get it the leaf with the 30kw battery? I'm bummed the 2017 leaf is not the 200 mile redesign one. Looks like it's gonna be the 2018 leaf 200 mile right when the model 3 comes out.

• w00dy
                w00dy commented
                Editing a comment
                We bought it a year ago, before the 2016 and the 30kw was available - with the new ones coming deals were a little better. We don't drive much anyway so 30kw wouldn't gain us anything extra...
            • SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by w00dy
              We got a red LEAF to satisfy the Red Tesla craving my son and wife have...being more practical an all
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]n335022[/ATTACH]
              The new Chevy Bolt is designed to go 200 mile on a charge. I imagine you can get them in RED too.

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

Don't know why people still talk about Tesla, especially the model 3 with 200 miles range starting $35k (what they say).

Just like to share some nice infor here. In 2018, you will see MB going 300 miles range on current model + EQ line.
                Last edited by silversaver; 11-10-2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• silversaver
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by FFE
                  It seems like we have a good time of year to true up. A few months after the summer to get everything figured out. Mine looked like this:
                  Thank you.

I'm at about 58% production/usage. Base on 7.1kW SWW245 deg

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by silversaver
                    Don't know why people still talk about Tesla, especially the model 3 with 200 miles range starting $35k (what they say).

Just like to share some nice infor here. In 2018, you will see MB going 300 miles range on current model + EQ line.
                    I seriously doubt MB will have an EV vehicle that will have a range of 300 miles in the price range of $35k anytime soon.

Heck the B250e is around $40k and only has 87 mile range.

Comment

• silversaver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

I seriously doubt MB will have an EV vehicle that will have a range of 300 miles in the price range of $35k anytime soon.

Heck the B250e is around $40k and only has 87 mile range.
                      No, the price tag will not be starting $35k. It should start about $42k. The 2018 confirm with 310 miles range without Tesla motor or battery. insider news shhhhhh~~~~ no one is gonna buy the 2017....

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FFE
                        JPM, that sounds about right. I ran some scenarios through a spreadsheet to figure out how to get a $0 bill using a smaller system and TOU. I figured I needed to cover about 60% of my annual kWh. The side benefit was that with the new minimum bill that the CPUC approved I managed to only pay about $26 of it due to the way it is calculated. The other taxes and fees make up the rest. I ended the year with a $$ energy credit (but not a kWh credit) with SCE which they will pay out up to the amount of the CA Climate credit (I know JPM know this). So, if I request a check from SCE it will be bigger than all I have paid SCE since starting NEM. Better than a $0 bill.
                        Thanx for the confirmation. On the spreadsheet, did you use 15 minute/hourly actuals for usage or something else ?

Comment

Working...