X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmk9785e
    • Jul 2016

Originally posted by huge
    The company that installed mine has a couple of offices that might be able to help you. Not very close to Lathrop, but I have to check with him to see if they can give you a quote. I'm pretty sure they can get it to you much cheaper. You should get a quote from them. At the very least, it will be a good bargaining chip for the other companies. The trick is getting into contact with the owner. He's really busy, but he can make the best deals happen. My feeling is that he's going to get bought out by one of his competitors at some point since they are losing hundreds of thousands of dollars to him in profits, so try to get in on it. But my #1 advice would be DO NOT RUSH. Make sure you have exactly what you need.

I almost made a similar mistake, until I found these forums. I'm really thankful to the people that run it and the regulars that spend so much time helping us. Their advice is really worth thousands, so thanks a lot guys for all your help!
    ​I, too, am much appreciative of all the advice and knowledge shared by so many kind souls on this forum. It has been very helpful and I have learned much in a short time. Your advice of not rushing is pertinent.
    I will contact this vendor today and see what they have to offer.

Comment

• rmk9785e
      • Jul 2016

I'm confused by the variation is quotes by vendors: Here is an example of two vendors quoting the same brand, number and size of panels, DC optimizers and Inverter:
      Vendor A: Rated Size (DC STC) 5,120W, Rated Size (AC, CEC) 4,096W. Est Output 1st Year 7,872 kWh
      Vendor B: Rated Size (DC STC) 5,120W, Rated Size (AC, CEC) 4,593W. Est Output 1st Year 8,143 kWh

Why is their AC rating and Est 1st year output so different?

Comment

• DaveDE2
        DaveDE2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I would ask both of them about the descrepany. You're not going to get a better answer here.

• huge
        huge commented
        Editing a comment
        They are estimates. One of them is going to be closer to the actual number. There should be very minor differences between different installation techniques.
    • solar pete
      Administrator
      • May 2014

Howdy some vendors choose to opt for the lower end due to the fact that when the system produces more the customer will be happy, if you have a particularly bad solar year (read lots of cloudy rainy, foggy, very hot etc) days its may be best to err on the more conservative figures and not have angry customers ringing you because the system made 2 kWh less than predicted, this is just an opinion and opinions vary

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rmk9785e
        I'm confused by the variation is quotes by vendors: Here is an example of two vendors quoting the same brand, number and size of panels, DC optimizers and Inverter:
        Vendor A: Rated Size (DC STC) 5,120W, Rated Size (AC, CEC) 4,096W. Est Output 1st Year 7,872 kWh
        Vendor B: Rated Size (DC STC) 5,120W, Rated Size (AC, CEC) 4,593W. Est Output 1st Year 8,143 kWh

Why is their AC rating and Est 1st year output so different?
        What are the modules being proposed, mfg. and size ?

Screw the CEC rating. Go by DC STC Watts. then, run PVWatts with a 10 % derate, the proper orientations and account, estimate any shading and see what you get.

Comment

• rmk9785e
          • Jul 2016

Originally posted by J.P.M.

What are the modules being proposed, mfg. and size ?

Screw the CEC rating. Go by DC STC Watts. then, run PVWatts with a 10 % derate, the proper orientations and account, estimate any shading and see what you get.
          I've attached the results of my PVWatts calculations.

The modules are LG320N1C-G4. I've figured out the reason behind Vendor A's reduced ratings. This vendor offers production guarantees so by lowering their estimated output, they're hedging against lower production.

On another note, I've seen some vendors advertising "Unlike most solar companies we use 8 to 10 gauge wiring". Does this make material difference for a single string 5KW DC system to be concerned about?
          Attached Files

Comment

• rmk9785e
          • Jul 2016

I've done the best I can to run the PVWatts analysis again (attached). Not sure where I may be going wrong.
          Attached Files

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rmk9785e
            I've done the best I can to run the PVWatts analysis again (attached). Not sure where I may be going wrong.
            For some reason, your attachments are not showing up. I get a big, black "X".

Comment

• rmk9785e
              rmk9785e commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure why. I am able to see the "Attached Files" with its name and size.
          Working...