X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating options for Solar

I've been considering installing solar PV system for my single family home.
    I have two quotes from two national brands as follows:
    ​SunRun:
    Capacity: 3.7kW (DC)
    Total cost (pre-rebate/net): $14,499.98/$10,150
    Total Equipment cost: $5,037.98
    Total soft costs:$9,642 (65%)
    Canadian Solar 265W panels (14)
    ​SolarEdge 3,800W inverter
    SnapNrack racking

SolarCity:
    Capacity: 3.9kW (DC)
    Estimated annual production = 5,395kWH
    Total cost (pre-rebate/net): $19,890/$13,923
    Panels ???
    Inverter ???
    racking ???

I have left warranty info out because they are about the same for both.

Tomorrow, I'll be getting a quote from a local company.​ Estimate generated at this site for that company was $4.78/W.

I am fairly familiar with the basics of solar PV systems and have participated in installing one at someone's home. If it wasn't a two story home, I could have probably done it myself.

Why are the soft costs ​(permitting, inspection, interconnection, subsidy application, system design, markup) so much higher?

P.S. The editor to post here really leave a lot to be desired. Hope the moderators will consider going more mainstream.

so solarcity comes in at $5.10/w and Sunrun at $3.92/w

I think pretty much any of the installers on here can beat those prices.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Two of the 3 bottom feeders of solar vendors. Depending on were you are, I'd bet you can do better on price, and given my limited experience, I'm more sure you can do better on quality with a reputable local vendor for equal or less $$'s.

Comment

Originally posted by rmk9785e View Post
        I've been considering installing solar PV system for my single family home.
        Have you considered going off-grid, or grid-assist? Instead of net-metering?

... I am fairly familiar with the basics of solar PV systems and have participated in installing one at someone's home. If it wasn't a two story home, I could have probably done it myself.

Why are the soft costs ​(permitting, inspection, interconnection, subsidy application, system design, markup) so much higher?
        ]

Around here, net-metering is more expensive because it requires you use a state certified installer. You can not do a DIY net-metering install.

The components are more expensive as the installer is the dealer, so he adds mark-ups both ways.

That is why DIY off-grid is so much cheaper. Even after paying for batteries, you come no where near the cost of net-metering.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• ButchDeal
          ButchDeal commented
          Editing a comment
          OP has a SolarCity quote so he is not in your strange situation and net metering will be by far cheaper than off grid. many times cheaper, but go ahead and consider it.

Will Solar City allow you to source your equipment from online retailers ?

Or do they insist on this 'strange setup' of being the equipment dealer?

Comment

• ButchDeal
          ButchDeal commented
          Editing a comment
          Strange?! When you add on to the house the general contractor usually supplies the parts.

So Solar City does not supply the parts?

Comment

Thank you all for your prompt advice and ideas. I'm getting quotes from two local installers with good reviews and hope to select one of them.
          ​If I was living at a farm then I might have gone off grid with self install but not at a city dwelling. In our development where HOA dictates even the type of plants and the color of curtains we can have, going off the grid is not an option. Even if it was an option, I'd have more trust in the utility as a backup compared to my own battery bank.

Comment

OP: FWIW, If you are in CA, know that an HOA cannot decline to allow a PV system. They can force a design changes but only to the extent the changes do not increase cost by more than $1,000, or inhibit performance by 10%. The performance thing is a bit vague as to how the 10 % is calculated however. On another note, you'll be better off without the bottom feeders you started with.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
              Two of the 3 bottom feeders of solar vendors. Depending on were you are, I'd bet you can do better on price, and given my limited experience, I'm more sure you can do better on quality with a reputable local vendor for equal or less $$'s.

Who's number three?

Comment

Originally posted by igerstein View Post

Who's number three?
                In no particular order of vendors who are less than ideal, and IMO only from dealing with them as part of an HOA ARC board that reviews solar installs in my HOA: SolarCity, Vivant and SunRun.

There are also various local "Larry with a ladder" types, but they're not national.

IMO, if you want safe, quality work, professionally done, the best (highest) probability of getting those things is from established local electrical contractors who've been around for a long time and sold PV for at least 5+ years.

You might pay a slight premium (but not necessarily) to such a vendor. To my experience a sharp, but fair price is often more of a function of customer knowledge and negotiating skills, with the uninformed and the timid (and senior citizens, BTW) often and usually paying the most $$/Watt and getting the wrong end of the quality and cost effectiveness stick. It's just business.

Whatever the reason, even if it does come to a slight premium to a quality vendor, think of it as a cheap insurance premium for a good job.

Comment

So I have more quotes and am better informed. However prices are still at the high end. Vendor A and B are local installers. I know the equipment costs are about 35% of the proposals. In a different message, I've seen prices in $2.90/W range. What can be done to make it more cost effective?
                  Vendor Size (kW) Price/W Cost Panel W (#) Panel Brand Inverter Optimizer
                  A 4.59 $3.75 $17,229 270 W (17) Kyocera Enphase M215
                  A 4.59 $4.10 $18,841 270 W (17) Kyocera SolarEdge 7600A
                  B 4.22 $3.75 $15,844 325 W (13) SolarWorld SolarEdge 7600A Optimizers on Panel
                  C 3.71 $3.91 $14,500 265 W (14) Canadian Solar SolarEdge 3800W

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    ButchDeal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ALL solarEdge options have optimizers. There is no solarEdge option without them

Where did you live? Those prices seem above average

Comment

Originally posted by huge View Post
                    Where did you live? Those prices seem above average
                    Yes, they are above what I see others paying on this forum. ​l live in California Central Valley near Lathrop, 60 miles south of Sacramento, 80 miles east of San Francisco bay area.

Comment

The company that installed mine has a couple of offices that might be able to help you. Not very close to Lathrop, but I have to check with him to see if they can give you a quote. I'm pretty sure they can get it to you much cheaper. You should get a quote from them. At the very least, it will be a good bargaining chip for the other companies. The trick is getting into contact with the owner. He's really busy, but he can make the best deals happen. My feeling is that he's going to get bought out by one of his competitors at some point since they are losing hundreds of thousands of dollars to him in profits, so try to get in on it. But my #1 advice would be DO NOT RUSH. Make sure you have exactly what you need.

I almost made a similar mistake, until I found these forums. I'm really thankful to the people that run it and the regulars that spend so much time helping us. Their advice is really worth thousands, so thanks a lot guys for all your help!

http://www.solarreviews.com/installe...group-reviews/
                      Last edited by huge; 08-17-2016, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• rmk9785e
                        rmk9785e commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can you please share the name of the owner so I know who to ask for?

• huge
                        huge commented
                        Editing a comment
                        He's been too busy lately. He wants you to go through a salesperson. If you already know what you want, let us know and I'll tell you what price to ask for and how to get it

Great news, he said he covers your area. You can either just call them and have a salesperson help you, or I
                      can try to put you in contact with the owner. You'll probably get the best deal from him. Check out the reviews here and on yelp. You'll see what I mean.
                      Last edited by huge; 08-17-2016, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X