X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

I think they're recognizing that if you don't need detailed engineering design for a typical residential roof you don't need one for a typical solar module install.
    Sure you need some guidelines to make sure it's conservative enough that it's safe even without the detailed engineering. Just like you have guidelines for rafters and roof sheathing.

My city/AHJ required attachment points to the rafters every 4' if you wanted to use the expedited approval process.
    And I think there was some requirement on the rafters being certain dimensions/spacing.
    If I had wanted to use a longer span (which my ironridge rails would have supported) - I would have had to provide proof in the form of engineering calcs.
    But rather than do that, I went with a few more attachment points and not having to do the engineering calcs. (I did do a little looking - just for fun - and there was plenty of safety margin in all directions - downward force from weight (or weight + wind or weight + wind+ snow), upward force from wind uplift, and sideways force.)

Will it survive a tornado? No.
    But even with engineering calcs it wouldn't (most likely it'd have been built with fewer attachment points and be even less likely to survive extreme/unusual winds)
    LOL. Just about every type of building above ground would suffer from a tornado hit. So expecting solar panels to stay on a roof while the roof takes off is an over expectation.

As I indicated in an earlier post I am happy to see some of the red tape going away to make it easier for a homeowner to install a pv system. I just hope people don't take advantage of the relaxed requirements and do something that get someone hurt.

Comment

Perhaps a ground mount would be easier to get back in service after a really damaging windstorm. The
      underground portions of mine would all survive; much of the framework as well, even if the panels are
      ripped off; the rest is easily replaced. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
      X