X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brandon515
    • Jun 2016

Which Panels/System for a DIY install?

I am looking to install a grid tie system on my roof. I am pretty handy and have read up on how to do everything and it doesn't look too difficult. I wanted to see if I could get some advice on which companies to work with? It looks like GoGreenSolar caters to DIY'ers, but I'm not too sure about the quality of their panels. It looks like they use a brand called Gigawatt. I have been reading that SunPower panels are some of the best, but cant find any info on if they work with DIY installations.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello brandon515 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Depending on where you live a DIY grid tie system may still require permits and fees along with a contract and approval from your POCO.

Before you purchase any hardware you should first find out what you can personally work on and install because finding out after you have spent a lot of money will end up costing much more.

Comment

• sunnyguy
      • Apr 2015

Renvu is pretty good. sun electronics is ok if you know what you are doing and you can catch them with desirable inventory. Wholesale solar has decent complete packages around $1.50/w.
      Last edited by sunnyguy; 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

Your power company will no doubt have a rule requiring the install to be done by a licensed electrician if you want to interconnect with them. In order to DIY a solar install, (and I encourage you in this endeavor) you need to find someone who will let you work under their license.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• ButchDeal
          ButchDeal commented
          Editing a comment
          You can do your own electrical work in most places in the US. You just need a permit and inspections.
          In the few places that a licensed electrician is required, that would be just for the inverter AC side, all the rest can be self done.
      • sdold
        • Jun 2014

Here's a link that hasn't been posted in a while, it's a DIYer who wrote about his install in a lot of detail.
        Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

He uses Enphase Microinverters, which is what I also used, but if I were to do it again and didn't have shading issues I'd go with a single inverter.
        His install, my install, and a friend's are all in different parts of Ca. None required an engineer or an electrician, but all required permitting and interconnect agreements and a good long talk with the building department before starting the project

Comment

• brandon515
          • Jun 2016

I'm in California. From what I've read there are no restrictions for a DIY install other than permits and inspections. The GoGreenSolar that I mentioned says that they will take you through the entire process. I just don't know anything about their panels. I want to make sure that the company that manufactures the panels/etc. that I buy will be around in 10-20 years. I guess that's not guaranteed with anyone, but it'd wouldn't worry so much if it were someone like SunPower or LG.

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
            • Aug 2015

I'm in SF bay area, and thinking of a ~5kW rooftop system with LG/Enphase. It appears buying equipment on my own (~$2/W) and getting installed by a gen contractor / electrician (say ~$1/W?) seems to be saving ~$0.75 /W vs. quotes I have from "solar" companies. Thoughts? Any suggestions on reliable installers in the region who'd let me buy own equipment? I tried best to google and comb through the forums but not finding much info. Would greatly appreciate help/guidance. Thanks.

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

After a quick look at their list of solar panels for sale it appears they carry a wide variety of panels including LG, Trina and Solar World. If concerned about Gigawatt's panels, don't buy them.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• foo1bar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by brandon515
                I'm in California. From what I've read there are no restrictions for a DIY install other than permits and inspections. .
                I'd still talk to the permit office and get the permit *before* making a $10k purchase.

I would strongly recommend that you figure out the AC side of things early. (Ex: if you don't know what the 120% rule is, you need to educate yourself if you're going to DIY)

And while I think DIY is a good fit for some people it definitely isn't for everyone. It is significantly more involved than for example replacing an electrical outlet and we know there are plenty of people who that is more than they should do. So be honest with yourself about whether you *should* take it on before you do.

I did my DIY install with panels, etc from Renvu.

Comment

• huge
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by kgvenkatesh
                  I'm in SF bay area, and thinking of a ~5kW rooftop system with LG/Enphase. It appears buying equipment on my own (~$2/W) and getting installed by a gen contractor / electrician (say ~$1/W?) seems to be saving ~$0.75 /W vs. quotes I have from "solar" companies. Thoughts? Any suggestions on reliable installers in the region who'd let me buy own equipment? I tried best to google and comb through the forums but not finding much info. Would greatly appreciate help/guidance. Thanks.
                  I got a quote for a friend recently for a similar system for just over $3/watt. If it's going to cost you $3/watt to do it yourself, I think it would be really worth it to pay a few hundred more to have a reputable company do it for you. The company I used is based in Southern California, but I think they have a branch in northern California and I assume prices can be similar. Just shop around a little.

I was thinking of doing the same thing as you a few months ago, but it takes much longer. You have to order the parts, wait for them to arrive, get permits, coordinate with the installers, etc

Comment

• sdold
                    • Jun 2014

I think I'd rather have a solar company purchase and install everything, so that they assume the responsibility if anything fails.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sdold
                      I think I'd rather have a solar company purchase and install everything, so that they assume the responsibility if anything fails.
                      +1. Sometimes saving even a few $1000 ends up costing you a lot more if you are the one responsible to make a very complicate and expensive system work.

Comment

• foo1bar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by huge
                        I got a quote for a friend recently for a similar system for just over $3/watt. If it's going to cost you $3/watt to do it yourself, I think it would be really worth it to pay a few hundred more to have a reputable company do it for you.
                        A DIY system should be around $2/W and probably less than that.
                        It may creep above $2/W if you have something that requires significant work (ex. getting a new service installed and new main panel, or doing a ground mount 300+ feet from the house)
                        But you can expect that extra cost is going to show up as an additional cost for a contract job, so it'd still likely be a >$5k saving on a 5kw system

Originally posted by sdold

I agree that a single company to call if something fails is worth something.
                        My solution was that I bought all the electronic components (panels, inverter, optimizers) from one company/supplier.
                        If there was an installation problem, it still falls on me.
                        But since I saved $10k+ (8.96kw system) I was willing to take that risk. (OK - $7k+ after tax credit is accounted for - still more than enough for that risk for me. Even if I had to call in an electrician because I couldn't debug a problem, I'd guesstimate that'd cost me less than $1k.)

Comment

• silversaver
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2013

I love DIY jobs, but when someone doesn't know anything about solar wants to go on DIY I'll say think twice.

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
                            • Aug 2015

Thank you Huge, Foo1bar, Sdold and SunEagle for sharing your perspectives, making me think harder and turning around my viewpoint. I very much appreciate it. I'm back to turnkey mode

huge - You mentioned of your friend's quote around $3/Watt. Could you share configuration and installer name please? If it's SF bay area I absolutely want to reach out. Thank you.

Comment

Working...