X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

I don't want this to sound like I'm kicking someone when they're down. We've all been there.

This thread may serve another useful purpose than just info and thoughts to the OP. It looks like a textbook case of what not to do and precisely how not to go about the process of buying PV with the goal of reducing an energy bill.

One perhaps somewhat uncommon difference here is that the consumer got a system that may be undersized, and the consumer thinks they got ripped off. It's usually the other way (oversized) and they don't know it (that they got screwed, probably by their own ignorance).

At this time, because there is not sufficient information available, and until necessary information becomes available, there is no way for anyone to as much as hazard a guess what the actual usage was for the pre and post install period was, nor what the system actually produced since startup, nor what a reasonable projection of estimated performance might be.

Not my money/house/system/etc., but I'd get such information and also acquire enough knowledge about how the possibilities and limitations of residential PV before I sought remedies through the court system.

My gut tells me the system is probably producing about what it should, but the OP was/is ignorant about the possibilities and limitations of residential PV, and bought a bill of goods from an incompetent and perhaps unethical vendor/peddler.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is more to the story, but if the OP got screwed, my guess is it started with the OP's own solar ignorance. More Caveat Emptor.

In the meantime, I'd suggest anyone considering PV might be well advised to print this entire thread and put it on the bathroom mirror or daily morning review while reading "Solar Power Your Home For Dummies".

Comment

• Tanya
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by nmikmik
      It may not sound like something you want to here Tanya, but
      I'd try to figure out how much will it cost you in real $$$ and the cost of your health to start the law suit and fight a fairly big company. You already know that current system covers 43% of your consumption. See if you can get a bid from a reputable company to cover the 80% that you originally wanted and compare that to potential law suit avenue, see if it's worth it. Maybe see if you can bring your consumption a little bit down so you are closer to your desired figures. Yes, bad behavior should be punished, but you will definitely lose more time and possibly miss the Net metering deadline and possible the Fed rebate...
      I know what you're saying. (And you're probably right about the time and money.) But simply put, they shouldn't get away with this type of behavior. If nobody does anything about it, they'll just keep on doing it.

Comment

• Tanya
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by sensij
        I'm not sure I see the rip-off here. The first 40% of the bill that is offset is probably the most cost-effective portion. If the price paid was something less than $5/W, the system is going to pay for it self eventually, probably in under 10 years based on a rough idea of what system size the price paid would buy, and what it sounds like the OP's consumption was. For the installer to mis-represent the performance of the system is bad, but that alone that doesn't mean what was sold was a bad buy.

FWIW, in SDG&E land, all that is required to have full access to consumption back to when the smart meters were installed is a single bill. I'm not sure if SCE offers the same access, but here, once you give away one copy of your bill, your energy consumption in perpetuity could be watched. That laywer sounds clueless.
        I'm not sure I follow your logic (or the abbreviations) -- sorry. How could it not be a bad buy? We were told it would cover 80%, which is why we spent all that money. Now we find out it only covers 43%. And we're billed in tiers here in LA, so in the summer months there is pretty much no difference at all.

Comment

• Tanya
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          I don't want this to sound like I'm kicking someone when they're down. We've all been there.

This thread may serve another useful purpose than just info and thoughts to the OP. It looks like a textbook case of what not to do and precisely how not to go about the process of buying PV with the goal of reducing an energy bill.

One perhaps somewhat uncommon difference here is that the consumer got a system that may be undersized, and the consumer thinks they got ripped off. It's usually the other way (oversized) and they don't know it (that they got screwed, probably by their own ignorance).

At this time, because there is not sufficient information available, and until necessary information becomes available, there is no way for anyone to as much as hazard a guess what the actual usage was for the pre and post install period was, nor what the system actually produced since startup, nor what a reasonable projection of estimated performance might be.

Not my money/house/system/etc., but I'd get such information and also acquire enough knowledge about how the possibilities and limitations of residential PV before I sought remedies through the court system.

My gut tells me the system is probably producing about what it should, but the OP was/is ignorant about the possibilities and limitations of residential PV, and bought a bill of goods from an incompetent and perhaps unethical vendor/peddler.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is more to the story, but if the OP got screwed, my guess is it started with the OP's own solar ignorance. More Caveat Emptor.

In the meantime, I'd suggest anyone considering PV might be well advised to print this entire thread and put it on the bathroom mirror or daily morning review while reading "Solar Power Your Home For Dummies".
          Well, then hopefully our experience serves others not to make the same mistake. Above you were talking about limitations of a system and what to watch out for. Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Tanya
            I'm not sure I follow your logic (or the abbreviations) -- sorry. How could it not be a bad buy? We were told it would cover 80%, which is why we spent all that money. Now we find out it only covers 43%. And we're billed in tiers here in LA, so in the summer months there is pretty much no difference at all.
            Does the contract say 80% of usage or 80% of bill? Can you post average consumption from 12 months before installation and average consumption & generation from 12 months after install?
            Specs on the system would be nice as well.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Willy T
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2014

Solar production for year to year is hard to figure. It's about averages over time. It's not unusual to have a + 20 % year followed by a - 20 % year, ( 40% swing ) unless your in a location that has very constant weather. My system will do 10,000 kwh one year and 12,000 the next. There is some weird weather out there, hard to know if it's production or usage.

Comment

• NorCalX
                • Nov 2015

Playing devil's advocate here

Their status as a bad guy depends on what the contract says they sold you. Sales person exaggerations prior to contract usually don't matter

If the contract says a system with X size will offset 80% of your annual usage (and indicated annual usage and expected production) you have some hope.

From what you have indicated you don't have that.

That leads us into ethical business practices and consumer advocacy. What proof do we have of what they "said" you were getting?

Maybe they meant 80% based on that single month they reviewed?

We don't have enough info and only 1 party is available to give their answers.

All we know is you bought a system of unspecified size for 13k expecting 80% offset.

How big is your system? (4kw dc stic?)
                What were you expecting it to produce and why (10,000kw/year?)

Comment

• solarz
                  • Nov 2015

I would see the red flag on you -- Either ignorance or very smart to find a quick buck via lawsuit.
                  First, I assume you know how much you use per year.
                  Second, during the course of solar purchase, there are multiple places you will learn about how much the system generate. Contract will tell it. PTO application will have a section for the calculation. Or you should google it to see how much the solar system generates. For example, when you buy a car, if you sale man say the car run 100 miles/gallon, you accept or google it?

With the 2 above points, you should know percentage that the system could cover a long time ago (since you have the system 1 year ago).
                  5KW Enphase system.

Comment

• Tanya
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by NorCalX
                    Playing devil's advocate here

Their status as a bad guy depends on what the contract says they sold you. Sales person exaggerations prior to contract usually don't matter

If the contract says a system with X size will offset 80% of your annual usage (and indicated annual usage and expected production) you have some hope.

From what you have indicated you don't have that.

That leads us into ethical business practices and consumer advocacy. What proof do we have of what they "said" you were getting?

Maybe they meant 80% based on that single month they reviewed?

We don't have enough info and only 1 party is available to give their answers.

All we know is you bought a system of unspecified size for 13k expecting 80% offset.

How big is your system? (4kw dc stic?)
                    What were you expecting it to produce and why (10,000kw/year?)
                    The system says MAX 125 AMPS. According to the LADWP our yearly energy needs are 8927 kWh. But the system only produces 3789 kWh.

Comment

• Tanya
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by solarz
                      I would see the red flag on you -- Either ignorance or very smart to find a quick buck via lawsuit.
                      First, I assume you know how much you use per year.
                      Second, during the course of solar purchase, there are multiple places you will learn about how much the system generate. Contract will tell it. PTO application will have a section for the calculation. Or you should google it to see how much the solar system generates. For example, when you buy a car, if you sale man say the car run 100 miles/gallon, you accept or google it?

With the 2 above points, you should know percentage that the system could cover a long time ago (since you have the system 1 year ago).
                      Thanks for the insult. You clearly have a problem.

Comment

• Living Large
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2014

I know what you're saying. (And you're probably right about the time and money.) But simply put, they shouldn't get away with this type of behavior. If nobody does anything about it, they'll just keep on doing it.
                        We don't know what behavior they exhibited, because we don't have anywhere near sufficient facts. Those will be needed if you ever get into court, where your statement that "we were defrauded" will have to be proved. Again, I would be very very careful. The first step is to find out if you were really defrauded - you may have been - but you haven't proven it here. A salesman's alleged verbal statement is not proof.

I'm thinking of a used car I was looking at, where the clutch was in trouble and the salesman said "oh, that is of no concern because when you buy that will be fixed." If I had entered a contract to buy that car, I certainly would have gotten something in writing about the clutch.

If no further facts are forthcoming, I would consider carefully stating that this company "ripped you off" or "defrauded" you. Them's lawsuit words. If they actually defrauded you, then you don't have much to worry about, assuming you are willing to pay to defend possible frivolous litigation. Did they?

Comment

• Living Large
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Thanks for the insult. You clearly have a problem.
                          You need to have some Thick Skin in a Bottle overnighted to you. Same day delivery would be good, but this is a holiday. Correct me if I am wrong, but the person here with the problem is you. We don't know exactly yet what the solution is. You asked in your first post "has anyone had this happen to them, we are considering taking them to court."

There are people here that can help you get to the bottom of your issue, if you hang in there and provide them with all the details needed. In that process, you will find out if you have recourse a lot faster than with an attorney, and it will be free (less the cost of the TSIAB).

Comment

• Tanya
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Living Large
                            We don't know what behavior they exhibited, because we don't have anywhere near sufficient facts. Those will be needed if you ever get into court, where your statement that "we were defrauded" will have to be proved. Again, I would be very very careful. The first step is to find out if you were really defrauded - you may have been - but you haven't proven it here. A salesman's alleged verbal statement is not proof.

I'm thinking of a used car I was looking at, where the clutch was in trouble and the salesman said "oh, that is of no concern because when you buy that will be fixed." If I had entered a contract to buy that car, I certainly would have gotten something in writing about the clutch.

If no further facts are forthcoming, I would consider carefully stating that this company "ripped you off" or "defrauded" you. Them's lawsuit words. If they actually defrauded you, then you don't have much to worry about, assuming you are willing to pay to defend possible frivolous litigation. Did they?
                            I stated our specs before. So clearly the answer is yes. But you do bring up a good point -- can one equate buying a solar system with buying a used car? The guy who came to our house presented himself as an expert. Looked at our utility bill, showed us system specs and told us this would be the system for us. Now, you could argue that we were naive... and we probably were (not a mistake we'll make again). But is this really the same thing as buying a used car? (Where everybody assumes they're being ripped off and don't believe a word the salesman says anyway.) Or is this more akin to hiring a construction company -- where you assume they know what they're talking about? I know, I know... largely philosophical discussion... I'm just really pissed off.

Comment

• cebury
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2011

I stated our specs before. So clearly the answer is yes. But you do bring up a good point -- can one equate buying a solar system with buying a used car? The guy who came to our house presented himself as an expert. Looked at our utility bill, showed us system specs and told us this would be the system for us. Now, you could argue that we were naive... and we probably were (not a mistake we'll make again). But is this really the same thing as buying a used car? (Where everybody assumes they're being ripped off and don't believe a word the salesman says anyway.) Or is this more akin to hiring a construction company -- where you assume they know what they're talking about? I know, I know... largely philosophical discussion... I'm just really pissed off.
                              You could post your proposal online, with identity details blacked out. My Peterson dean proposal had all the usual spec info including estimated kwh offset, but mine was an online+phone estimate. Posting that one document will provide 90% of the factual details in your case, excluding of course verbal communication.

For the record, I went with a different installer.

Comment

• NorCalX
                                • Nov 2015

The system says MAX 125 AMPS. According to the LADWP our yearly energy needs are 8927 kWh. But the system only produces 3789 kWh.
                                Your answer is very revealing but in a bad way.

125 amps is not the system size we need.

You should have some type of documentation on your product or paperwork documenting system (maybe stuff you sent to power company)

Usually says the DC STIC rating

Or you could tell us the number of panels and type (for example 27 solar world 280s is what i am looking at. Results in 7.56kw system and ideally produces the 12000kw annually that we are aiming for)

Comment

Working...