• 4.4 kW system in SF Bay Area, please help analysis if this quote is good

Solar System Installation Proposal:

Solar System DC Size: 4.4 KW
    Modules: 16 Suniva 275W
    Inverter: 16 Enpahse Inverters M250
    Complete Solar System Installation & Equipment
    Cost: $14,476 or $3.29 per watt
    Warranty: 25 yrs on both panels and inverters

I receive this primarily quote from a local solar company and want to see if you guys think this system is good or if I should ask for changes

I have also included the drawing of proposed installation spot on my roof, as far as i can tell, I don't have any shading issue and the area of the roof will have sun shine all day long

Looking to find out if the panel and inverter chosen by the installer is good or should if I should ask for quotes based on other setup?
    Attached Files

$3.29/watt sounds good.
    You say no shading - but it looks like something at the edge of the roof.
    (TV dish? chimney? sewer pipe vent?)

Comment

$3.29/w is a reasonable price. Make sure to check out the installer here on Solar Reviews.
      I'm not a fan of Emphase - I think their 25 year warranty is a marketing ploy, not their real reliability.
      Suniva is one of the few US made (sort of) brands, but cost more as a result.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

I'd still go with a string inverter, but it looks like you'll have access to all the panels for service provided the micro's location can be arranged for easy access. Also, get your roof inspected/serviced. Cheap insurance. You will not be sorry.

Comment

Suniva good...but maybe a larger manufacturer better?

Hey there...
          Price looks good....from what I've seen Suniva is a very small manufacturer....just got bought out majority shareholder is now Chinese investor group that took over Suntech...
          Maybe ask if they have a larger manufacturer panel option like LG or SunEdison... Mark H......been reading about and considering solar as well...
          Originally posted by justthinking View Post
          Solar System Installation Proposal:

Solar System DC Size: 4.4 KW
          Modules: 16 Suniva 275W
          Inverter: 16 Enpahse Inverters M250
          Complete Solar System Installation & Equipment
          Cost: $14,476 or $3.29 per watt
          Warranty: 25 yrs on both panels and inverters

I receive this primarily quote from a local solar company and want to see if you guys think this system is good or if I should ask for changes

I have also included the drawing of proposed installation spot on my roof, as far as i can tell, I don't have any shading issue and the area of the roof will have sun shine all day long

Looking to find out if the panel and inverter chosen by the installer is good or should if I should ask for quotes based on other setup?

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
            $3.29/watt sounds good.
            You say no shading - but it looks like something at the edge of the roof.
            (TV dish? chimney? sewer pipe vent?)
            Yes, there is a chimney on that part of the roof, I was only worry about surrounding trees and forgot about that..

Maybe it's better to move the panels closer to the other corner of the roof?

I guess I will also take a hard look at string inverter, I was giving the choice between Suniva 275w or Solar World 275w, would the later be better?

Also, the initial proposal did not include annual output analysis, I guess I should definitely ask for one if moving forward right?

How about monitoring, does the system usualy came with monitoring system that we can check how much power was generated and etc?

Comment

That price seems way too good to be true for the bay area. Is that pre or post tax credit? If it is post, then it's too high, if it is pre, I have a hard time believing it is a decent installer. You can see some sample pricing at http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...help-me-decide - these are some of the higher end installers (review wise). My system consisted of 17 Suniva 275W plus Enphase M215s and it was $4.10/watt (pre-tax credit).

Comment

Originally posted by derekj View Post
                That price seems way too good to be true for the bay area. Is that pre or post tax credit? If it is post, then it's too high, if it is pre, I have a hard time believing it is a decent installer. You can see some sample pricing at http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...help-me-decide - these are some of the higher end installers (review wise). My system consisted of 17 Suniva 275W plus Enphase M215s and it was $4.10/watt (pre-tax credit).
                It is pre-tax credit, the reason my quote was so low is because 4 other co-workers/friends of mine also recently signed contract with them so we sort of have a group discount

That been said, I know a couple forum member here also went with them for around $3.4 - $3.5 per watt and they seem to be happy with the job too

Comment

Fantastic deal then. Good to know there are some "bargains" to be had in the bay area.

Comment

Can you PM me the installer? Thanks.

It is pre-tax credit, the reason my quote was so low is because 4 other co-workers/friends of mine also recently signed contract with them so we sort of have a group discount

That been said, I know a couple forum member here also went with them for around $3.4 - $3.5 per watt and they seem to be happy with the job too

Comment

After talking with both my roofer and installer, it turns out I have lightweight concrete tilse and are prom to break, so we have a new game plan about how to do the installation

The installer will put structure in place then have my roofer come back to fix any broken tiles before proceed with putting panels in

Also, when the panels are to be put in, my roofer will send another guy out here to standby and fix any broken tiles just to be sure there won't be any broken tile trapped under the system

We have also decided to go with

16 x SolarWorld 280 Mono Black + SolarEdge Inverter & Optimiers (decided to go with SolarEdge Inverter due to future upgrade possibility with Tesla Powerwall

The new price is $3.4/kw or $15,232 before tax credit, and I am paying for roofer myself

Comment

After talking with both my roofer and installer, it turns out I have lightweight concrete tilse and are prom to break, so we have a new game plan about how to do the installation

The installer will put structure in place then have my roofer come back to fix any broken tiles before proceed with putting panels in

Also, when the panels are to be put in, my roofer will send another guy out here to standby and fix any broken tiles just to be sure there won't be any broken tile trapped under the system

16 x SolarWorld 280 Mono Black + SolarEdge Inverter & Optimiers (decided to go with SolarEdge Inverter due to future upgrade possibility with Tesla Powerwall

The new price is $3.4/kw or $15,232 before tax credit, and I am paying for roofer myself
                        Would you mind pm me your installer's info? Thank you much in advance.

Comment

Can you PM the installer's contact info?

Can you PM the installer's contact info?

Comment

great quote

That's a combination i am looking into as well, but my quote is $4.45/W
                            could you PM me the installer... that quote is awesome!!

Comment

could you send installer contact

The quote you got is pretty awesome.
                              i am looking at almost exact combination (but for 8 panels).
                              could you send across the installer details.

Also, why would the SolarEdge inverter be good for the PowerWall?
                              what about string or micro inverters?

Comment

Working...
                              X