4.4 kW Solar PV Grid Tie System in San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    FWIW, I live in 92026 and use about 700 to 1,000 kWh/yr. on AC. Also, you are mounting on a flat (horizontal ???) roof. What's the panel tilt ?
    Forgot to mention this will be at a 10° tilt.

Comment

FWIW, I live in 92026 and use about 700 to 1,000 kWh/yr. on AC. Also, you are mounting on a flat (horizontal ???) roof. What's the panel tilt ?
      Forgot to mention this will be at a 10° tilt in 92116.

Comment

Originally posted by rfay View Post
        That's a good reference point thank you. The system I got installed is super efficient ducted mini split with (http://homeenergypros.lbl.gov/profil...lits-look-like) that is not my system but a point of reference. I got the following installed for any HVC nerd Fujitsu AOU24RLXFZ 24,000 BTU Multi Zone Heat Pump R410a Fujitsu ARU18RLF 18,000 BTU "Duct Type" Air Handler Fujitsu ARU9RLF 9,000 BTU "Duct Type" Air Handler So according to Fujitsu it takes about 30kWh per 9 hours of use per Air Handler (I have two one for my 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and one for my living room and kitchen) My goal is to come as close to zero'ing out the bill as possible. I am open to suggestions and thoughts, but this would be the, 'Honda' of the solar systems nothing fancy, quick ROI and gets the job done. (some may argue LG panels would be more 'Honda' like..)
        Get a reasonable estimate of your cooling load before you choose and don't oversize the system. Properly sized systems probably produce better comfort by keeping the humidity level down better than oversized systems. Long story. Basically, they do a better job of moisture removal by running longer. Also properly sized systems, will not cycle as much. Probably less wear/tear. Starting up is tougher than running. Finally, smaller systems generally cost less to purchase and operate. Oversizing A/C is not a wise choice. It'll cost more, probably break down sooner and the house will feel "clammy" and be less comfortable.

Comment

Get a reasonable estimate of your cooling load before you choose and don't oversize the system. Properly sized systems probably produce better comfort by keeping the humidity level down better than oversized systems. Long story. Basically, they do a better job of moisture removal by running longer. Also properly sized systems, will not cycle as much. Probably less wear/tear. Starting up is tougher than running. Finally, smaller systems generally cost less to purchase and operate. Oversizing A/C is not a wise choice. It'll cost more, probably break down sooner and the house will feel "clammy" and be less comfortable.
          Ya the issue is I was hoping to roll all this into my HERO financing so I need to do it all at once... Or depending on what Chase can do a HELOC. I just had the A/C, new windows and doors and hopefully Solar so I can be done with all the 'green' updates

Comment

Ya the issue is I was hoping to roll all this into my HERO financing so I need to do it all at once... Or depending on what Chase can do a HELOC. I just had the A/C, new windows and doors and hopefully Solar so I can be done with all the 'green' updates
            ON that note, does anyone have an advice or experience with HERO vs. HELOC? Credit score is about 840 FWIW

Comment

ON that note, does anyone have an advice or experience with HERO vs. HELOC? Credit score is about 840 FWIW
              My guess is you're better off w/a HELOC, but everyone's sit. is different. A sniff at both might be revealing.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post

Mine seem to work. Probably another browser-dependent glitch in the system.
                You may have to have javascript enabled to use the smiley array.
                Will give it a try.

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
                G'Day Albert,

In Oz we allow about $200 per kilowatt, for angle frame kit and bit of extra labor to install it, so its probably similar or a little bit more in the states, hope thast helps.
                Sounds good, thanks for the info.

Hey Albert,

Jumped up on my roof today to take a few pictures for you. Man it got dirty in a year so that's good to know if I was planning on doing Horizontal mounted panels.

https://goo.gl/photos/1XrJbs5RGEL9DDJn6

Ya they seem cheaper than having Duro-Last come back out and make all kinds of punctures in my roof... Just talked with an structural engineer and he informed me that it was not recommended. My house was built in 1928...
                Quite interesting, considering that your roof is tilted anyway, right? So how will that affect the final angle of mounting ? ? ?

(Edit -- Oh I see you have answered this last one already.)

Comment

Hey Albert, Jumped up on my roof today to take a few pictures for you. Man it got dirty in a year so that's good to know if I was planning on doing Horizontal mounted panels. https://goo.gl/photos/1XrJbs5RGEL9DDJn6 Ya they seem cheaper than having Duro-Last come back out and make all kinds of punctures in my roof... Just talked with an structural engineer and he informed me that it was not recommended. My house was built in 1928...
                  Horizontal roofs are often not strong enough for the added weight of ballasted systems which, in addition to being not part of the initial design, often tend to have the concentrated mass(es) located closer the middle of the roof, making the stresses higher than if located closer to the roof boundaries.

Comment

My guess is you're better off w/a HELOC, but everyone's sit. is different. A sniff at both might be revealing.
                    +1, if you haven't used HELOC, it's probably the best option. It's very flexible that you can pay it off anytime. In the draw period (first 10 yr normally), you only have to pay the interest if cash is tight. Also the interest payment is tax deductible using itemized deduction method.
                    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thejq View Post
                      +1, if you haven't used HELOC, it's probably the best option. It's very flexible that you can pay it off anytime. In the draw period (first 10 yr normally), you only have to pay the interest if cash is tight. Also the interest payment is tax deductible using itemized deduction method.
                      Thank you! Does one have better tax deductions than the other. I know HERO is tied to your home and not you specifically also w/ HERO I know that it gets tied directly to your property tax. Anyone have experience with both?

Comment

Another Estimate

Hi All,

Here is my latest estimate. Comes out to about 4.50/watt but it's a pretty small system at 3,180... Thoughts?

SYSTEM DESIGN, PERMITTING & UTILITY INTERCONNECTION
                        System Design - Electrical Plans, Site Plan & Plant Location Drawing Municipal / County Permit Package & Inspection Coordination Utility Interconnect Application and Inspection Coordination Municipal / County Building Permit
                        No Special Permit Requirements
                        MAJOR SYSTEM COMPONENTS PV Module
                        Additional Panels Not Required
                        12 Hanwha 265 Watt Panels
                        Inverter
                        SolarEdge Grid-tie Inverter, 3.0 kW-AC
                        12 SolarEdge P300 Optimizers
                        Inverter Accessories
                        (No Accessory Selected)
                        (No Accessory Selected)
                        Mounting System
                        ProSolar Mounting System & Structural Attachments w/ Tilt-up Kits
                        (No Secondary Rack Requirement)
                        INSTALLATION LABOR & MATERIALS
                        Installation Labor & Project Management
                        Installation Materials (wire, hardware, conduit, switches, branch circuit kits, etc.)

Comment

Anyone

Comment

Did you end up pulling the trigger on this?
                            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
                              Did you end up pulling the trigger on this?
                              No decided to wait a month or two after getting the A/C system, new doors and windows installed before making a decision.

Boy I'm glad I did, my bill last month while running the A/C 24/7 at 76 degrees was $89 bucks... The unit runs more efficent than the 4 box fans I was running in each window and the bill actually went down!!!!!

Can not say enough great things about Gabrial Carini:http://www.cariniair.com/about-us/ ! He installed an absolute killer A/C system in my 1920s North Park home!

-Ryan

Comment

No decided to wait a month or two after getting the A/C system, new doors and windows installed before making a decision.

Boy I'm glad I did, my bill last month while running the A/C 24/7 at 76 degrees was $89 bucks... The unit runs more efficent than the 4 box fans I was running in each window and the bill actually went down!!!!!

Can not say enough great things about Gabrial Carini:http://www.cariniair.com/about-us/ ! He installed an absolute killer A/C system in my 1920s North Park home!

-Ryan
                                A testimonial and confirmation of what the smart money does: Reduce the electrical load before any solar additions - not after.

Comment

Working...
                                X