Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.4 kW Solar PV Grid Tie System in San Diego

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4.4 kW Solar PV Grid Tie System in San Diego

    Hi All!

    I need some advice! I have been researching quite a bit and have received a few bids. I have decided on SolarEdge Inverter (I want to install the Tesla PowerWall as well) but am not sold on any specific panels. I have a flat roof and live in North Park area.

    Here is my best quote so far:

    (16) SolarWorld, 285W
    (1) SolarEdge, SE7600AUS 1-Ph Grid Tied Inverter (to be compatible with Tesla PowerWall only about $600 more than the one that I need w/out Tesla (SE3800A-US)
    (16) Solaredge, Optimizer 300W

    Prosolar SolarWedge Roof System
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Solar Power System Cost And Incentives

    Solar Power System Cost: $18,191 (4.13/W) which seems high

    Federal Tax Credit: -$5,457

    Net Solar Power System Cost: $12,734

  • #2
    By flat roof, I',m assuming you mean horizontal. If so, hopefully your panels will be tilted and not horizontal. That may be adding to the price.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
      By flat roof, I',m assuming you mean horizontal. If so, hopefully your panels will be tilted and not horizontal. That may be adding to the price.
      Hi J.P.M,

      Thank you for your reply. I have been reading through many threads and have seen how knowledgeable you are so I appreciate that in advance.

      Yes my roof is horizontal and Duro-Last (http://duro-last.com/) material which also seems to add to the price. I have been getting mixed reports of a 10°-15° tilt.

      The price still seems quite high to me...

      Comment


      • #4
        Opinions vary on knowledgeability of posters..................................Horizonta l panels will be effective and less efficient than tilted panels. They will also tend to get fouled (dirty) quicker. Placing panels on a horizontal roof at a tilt can cost more than placing panels in a horizontal orientation on a horizontal roof. Despite the added cost, when all's said and done, you're often and usually better off with a tilted array.

        Comment


        • #5
          Still haven't gotten a very definitive idea of how much additional cost it is to tilt mount panels.

          Anyone have an answer, a range of course, other than "it depends", or "I would think it would be a lot" ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by albert436 View Post
            Still haven't gotten a very definitive idea of how much additional cost it is to tilt mount panels.

            Anyone have an answer, a range of course, other than "it depends", or "I would think it would be a lot" ?
            Because tilt mount on a flat roof is not very common, the best way to get an idea on the cost is have a few estimates from reputable installers that have done it many times. The cost can also vary based on the condition and construction of your roof.
            16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rfay View Post
              Hi All!

              I need some advice! I have been researching quite a bit and have received a few bids. I have decided on SolarEdge Inverter (I want to install the Tesla PowerWall as well) but am not sold on any specific panels. I have a flat roof and live in North Park area.

              Here is my best quote so far:

              (16) SolarWorld, 285W
              (1) SolarEdge, SE7600AUS 1-Ph Grid Tied Inverter (to be compatible with Tesla PowerWall only about $600 more than the one that I need w/out Tesla (SE3800A-US)
              (16) Solaredge, Optimizer 300W

              Prosolar SolarWedge Roof System
              ------------------------------------------------------
              Solar Power System Cost And Incentives

              Solar Power System Cost: $18,191 (4.13/W) which seems high

              Federal Tax Credit: -$5,457

              Net Solar Power System Cost: $12,734
              While I don't know the specifics of your flat roof, the price seems a little high (base on normal s-tile or shingle installation). Many people on this forum from SD have gotten $3.5 / W but maybe with slightly larger systems.

              I assume when you said "I want to install the Tesla PowerWall as well", you meant maybe in the future, right? Last I heard, it's not widely available yet, and you have to go with SolarCity too, plus the price for the battery is probably still too high. But if you do some how get it installed, I'd be interested to heard your experience.
              16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                Opinions vary on knowledgeability of posters..................................Horizonta l panels will be effective and less efficient than tilted panels. They will also tend to get fouled (dirty) quicker. Placing panels on a horizontal roof at a tilt can cost more than placing panels in a horizontal orientation on a horizontal roof. Despite the added cost, when all's said and done, you're often and usually better off with a tilted array.
                I am not sure why having a flat roof is a big deal? I plan on using one of these two systems:

                1. http://www.ironridge.com/products/ba...nting/overview

                or

                2. http://www.prosolar.com/prosolar-new...edge-main2.htm

                Thoughts?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by thejq View Post
                  While I don't know the specifics of your flat roof, the price seems a little high (base on normal s-tile or shingle installation). Many people on this forum from SD have gotten $3.5 / W but maybe with slightly larger systems.

                  I assume when you said "I want to install the Tesla PowerWall as well", you meant maybe in the future, right? Last I heard, it's not widely available yet, and you have to go with SolarCity too, plus the price for the battery is probably still too high. But if you do some how get it installed, I'd be interested to heard your experience.
                  Thanks,

                  I have preordered the PowerWall. You don't 'have' to go with SolarCity just FYI.

                  You just need to have a SolarEdge, SE7600AUS inverter and preorder the PowerWall directly from Tesla.com (http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall)

                  Also SolarCity will not install on a Duro-Last roof. My roof is brand new just to keep all things equal. Just had a central A/C until installed last week.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Also forgot to mention that I just got my A/C installed so I do not have a full bill cycle yet. So it is quite difficult to judge the exact system that I need...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Interesting thread. I was jst curious about the type of roof you have but I couldn't find a pic of one very easily, even on their website, just a long description of it.

                      Thanks for the links on the tilt mounts or "wedge mounts" as the one company calls them, at $0.12/WDC, I wonder why they price them out like that, I would think they'd be priced out at some combination of panel and size parameters.

                      What do you reckon is the thinking behind it ?

                      But in any case $0.12/WDC doesn't sound like so very much WDC is what we are talking about here, right ? And the regular mounts would cost something anyway so just saying.

                      Anyway it is a whole interesting aspect of the subject, easy to over look for those who have roofs which are favorably oriented etc.





                      ps. eh, why aren't my smilies working ? <----- manually placed smiley

                      Comment


                      • #12


                        Mine seem to work. Probably another browser-dependent glitch in the system.
                        You may have to have javascript enabled to use the smiley array.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rfay View Post
                          Also SolarCity will not install on a Duro-Last roof. My roof is brand new just to keep all things equal. Just had a central A/C until installed last week.
                          That's nice roof. You definitely need to get some professionals that have dealt with it before. Last thing you want to is to go cheap and somehow damage it in the installation process.
                          16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Does the AHJ allow ballast mounted arrays on horizontal roofs in the North Park area?

                            I know SD does not get much rain but to put all those punctures in a horizontal roof just makes me cringe.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                              Does the AHJ allow ballast mounted arrays on horizontal roofs in the North Park area? I know SD does not get much rain but to put all those punctures in a horizontal roof just makes me cringe.
                              If the discussion is referring to the North Park section of San Diego, I believe the city of San Diego does not categorically disallow ballasted systems. It might take some engineering work to prove a system safe and sound from an engineering standpoint, and flat roofs and ballasted systems are not always the best of friends, but usually where there's a will, there's a way. That however, says nothing about cost, aesthetics or other considerations.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X