X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TAZ427
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2018

Originally posted by JakeTrilla

good to hear about the heat. The inverter is on a north facing wall, so I'm imagining it won't ever see direct sunlight.

Yeah, the installer tried to tell me that a 5k inverter would be fine for my system, but (as expected) there was a great deal of "clipping" going on. The installer didn't understand that the 150% INPUT rating was different from the nameplate OUTPUT rating.

I bought the 10k on my own and installed it; poof! getting 8KW peaks without issue... miracles right?
    So you're actually seeing 8kW peaks? Great. I've seldom seen more than 7kW at of my 8.04kW system, though about 75% of my panels are West facing (South facing already had Solar Pool heater on it from previous owners and the expensive of moving it did make sense.) Used PVWatts to get all appropriate estimates before deciding.

Comment

• TAZ427
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2018

Thanks ButchDeal!
      Probably a dumb question, but is the extended warranty worth the $350? I've been told these units are pretty robust, but I'm admittedly very new to the game...
      Just my opinion, but extended warranties are just an extra revenue stream. And even if it does go out in 12-25yrs, are you going to be living there? You can bet that < 20% of the units are going to die in that intermediate time frame or the price would be much higher.

Comment

• discodanman45
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2018

I thought all the newer SE7600H HD inverters had the capability of adding the EV charger later on. I guess I am not sure about that...

The nice thing about the SolarEdge EV charger is you don't need a separate breaker and you can charge directly from your solar panels. I already have a 50 amp breaker for my EV charger for my Tesla and it is just easier to have my inverter to charge my Bolt. I am 100% electric for driving, so some nights I need to charge two vehicles at once. Continuously drawing 18 kW is a crazy thing to see on your electric usage to charge two EV's at once.

Comment

• JakeTrilla
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by TAZ427

So you're actually seeing 8kW peaks? Great. I've seldom seen more than 7kW at of my 8.04kW system, though about 75% of my panels are West facing (South facing already had Solar Pool heater on it from previous owners and the expensive of moving it did make sense.) Used PVWatts to get all appropriate estimates before deciding.
          I am! My system is all south facing though, and I'm on a corner lot, so all those happy little rays are-a-shinin' down on me without much at all to stop them. I'm also in Vegas where sunshine is all we got!

Curiosity is going to overtake me now: Would there be a way to incorporate the two methods? Radiant heating of the pool water (I'm assuming that's what you have) and the solar panels?
          Seems like the "radiator like" property of the pool water could cool the panels on the backside (keeping them more efficient) and heat your pool (from the heat the panels provide) while you are harvesting the electrical power from the sun...

I know traditionally water and electricity mixing is a no-no, but the panels have obviously got that figured out in the form of weatherization.

Comment

• JakeTrilla
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by discodanman45
            I thought all the newer SE7600H HD inverters had the capability of adding the EV charger later on. I guess I am not sure about that...

The nice thing about the SolarEdge EV charger is you don't need a separate breaker and you can charge directly from your solar panels. I already have a 50 amp breaker for my EV charger for my Tesla and it is just easier to have my inverter to charge my Bolt. I am 100% electric for driving, so some nights I need to charge two vehicles at once. Continuously drawing 18 kW is a crazy thing to see on your electric usage to charge two EV's at once.
            not to derail the conversation any more than i already have, so PM me if needed, but how are you liking the Bolt? I have thought about going that route myself...

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

I think the SolarEdge10000 inverters are cheaper than the newer SE7600H inverters. The SE7600H have EV charging and battery storage capabilities. I was told by my contractor that the SE10000 will be available the third quarter this year with EV charging and battery storage.
              The SE10000h is more expensive than the SE7600h
              the SE7600h has optional EV charger
              the storedge is based in the older SE7600A and costs even more.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Thanks ButchDeal!
                Probably a dumb question, but is the extended warranty worth the $350? I've been told these units are pretty robust, but I'm admittedly very new to the game...
                No one can answer that for you. It is my opnion that extended warranties are not worth it in genral but that is oersinal for me.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

No they are not add ons, you have to ourchase the SE7600h with the EV charger

Comment

• discodanman45
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2018

not to derail the conversation any more than i already have, so PM me if needed, but how are you liking the Bolt? I have thought about going that route myself...
                    Don't see the ability to PM here... The Bolt has really tiny, uncomfortable seats. But if they are comfortable to you, then it is an amazing car. In California you can get it for $6000 under MSRP, still has $7500 tax credit until March 31, and in California I got an additional $6000 in rebates. With a loan and taxes you could get it for under $25,000 in my area. I have 50,000 miles on mine in two years and spent $30 in maintenance with two cabin air filters and windshield wiper fluid. I rotate tires at my tire place for free.

Now for the solar aspect here in California, it is a win/win. In 10 months I have produced 16,520 kWh of electricity and used 21,348 kWh. With the PG&E EV plan I owe $318, including the $10 per month to be hooked up to the grid, for those extra 4828 kWh I used. That is under $0.07 per extra kWh I have used.

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Curiosity is going to overtake me now: Would there be a way to incorporate the two methods? Radiant heating of the pool water (I'm assuming that's what you have) and the solar panels?
                      Seems like the "radiator like" property of the pool water could cool the panels on the backside (keeping them more efficient) and heat your pool (from the heat the panels provide) while you are harvesting the electrical power from the sun...

I know traditionally water and electricity mixing is a no-no, but the panels have obviously got that figured out in the form of weatherization.
                      Reducing that idea to practice ought to keep you busy for quite a while. Bruce Roe

Comment

• JakeTrilla
                        • Feb 2019

Don't see the ability to PM here... The Bolt has really tiny, uncomfortable seats. But if they are comfortable to you, then it is an amazing car. In California you can get it for $6000 under MSRP, still has $7500 tax credit until March 31, and in California I got an additional $6000 in rebates. With a loan and taxes you could get it for under $25,000 in my area. I have 50,000 miles on mine in two years and spent $30 in maintenance with two cabin air filters and windshield wiper fluid. I rotate tires at my tire place for free.

Now for the solar aspect here in California, it is a win/win. In 10 months I have produced 16,520 kWh of electricity and used 21,348 kWh. With the PG&E EV plan I owe $318, including the $10 per month to be hooked up to the grid, for those extra 4828 kWh I used. That is under $0.07 per extra kWh I have used.
                        Sounds like I need to do some homework, and take a roadtrip to Cali to buy a Car!

Hows the Range on one charge?
                        What kind of "mileage" do you get? I guess Price per mile would be the better term...?

Comment

• JakeTrilla
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by bcroe

Reducing that idea to practice ought to keep you busy for quite a while. Bruce Roe
                          I've got an extra panel that just may become the donor! I'm imagining that much like the fan on the inverter, the temperature reduction on the panel may not be substantial enough to make the efficiency difference.

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

I've got an extra panel that just may become the donor! I'm imagining that much like the fan on the inverter, the
                            temperature reduction on the panel may not be substantial enough to make the efficiency difference.
                            The thought on keeping inverter peak temp down, may be primarily to extend the life. Bruce Roe

Comment

• TAZ427
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • May 2018

There have been several attempts at this. I know there's one company currently selling panels to do this. But after research, and the fact that you've got a lot of plumbing interconnect, cost adder being high, and if any panels need to be replaced in the future it becomes a disassembly nightmare, I didn't view it as being worth trying to go this route. I think I may have even had posted questions about it on this forum.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

Curiosity is going to overtake me now: Would there be a way to incorporate the two methods? Radiant heating of the pool water (I'm assuming that's what you have) and the solar panels? Seems like the "radiator like" property of the pool water could cool the panels on the backside (keeping them more efficient) and heat your pool (from the heat the panels provide) while you are harvesting the electrical power from the sun...

This has been discussed many times here. We've beat it to death but it still comes up ~ 1X/yr. or so. Looks like a no brainer, but for many reasons it's impractical and not cost effective. Companies are around that will scam you and say they've solved all the problems. They are cons. So either beware and avoid them or believe their B.S and enjoy being screwed.

Comment

Working...