Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SolarEdge users: What's your inverter temp during high production?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by discodanman45 View Post
    If the inverter is still pumping out a constant 7.6 kW under high temps, I do think it is pretty safe to say the it is not de-rating much or at all. It is probably putting a huge stress on my inverter, but I don't care. I have the 25 year warranty and I have two companies standing behind the install.

Not adding a larger inverter was done for a few reasons. The first is I would have to spend a few thousand to modify my panel for the larger breaker needed. I also have three separate arrays. The clipping is bad, but it probably is not as much as bad as it looks. I am probably averaging a little over 8 kW during the clipping time, which means that I am missing out on about 4 kWh max on a good solar day. The two thousand dollars to modify my panel at this point wouldn't be a smart financial decision.

When my panels degrade I will not see the same losses as most people do because of the clipping. Plus my output is higher so far than what was expected, even with the crazy clipping. I produced 2,180 kWh in May with the 7600 inverter.
    That makes a bit more sense when you're not peaking out on all the panels at the same time. Looks like my two roofs peak out about just over any hour apart, but yours I with the 3 roofs probably has a flatter profile mid day than mine does, and in your circumstances the $2000 cost to upgrade the panel makes the decision that much easier to make. I only had a double breaker spot left in my panel. That's one thing that I have to take into consideration if I get an EV, as I don't have another spot for a breaker and no 240v line in the garage. I'm thinking I'll relocate the laundry rooms 240v plug to the garage side, luckily it's on a wall shared with the garage. If I'm not allowed to do that, then I'll put some conduit in place have the plug plugged in the inside, and the charger sitting on the garage side wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by TAZ427 View Post
      That's one thing that I have to take into consideration if I get an EV, as I don't have another spot for a breaker and no 240v line in the garage.
      I saw in your post about your system that you have the same inverter as me, the SolarEdge 7600H. You do know they are making an EV charger for that inverter that you can connect directly to the inverter. No additional breaker needed and you can charge your EV directly from your solar panels.

https://www.solaredge.com/us/products/ev-charger#/

Comment

I saw in your post about your system that you have the same inverter as me, the SolarEdge 7600H. You do know they are making an EV charger for that inverter that you can connect directly to the inverter. No additional breaker needed and you can charge your EV directly from your solar panels.

https://www.solaredge.com/us/products/ev-charger#/
        Wasn't sure if that would could be retrofitted or would have to replace it with a new HD-Wave with the charger built in. It does look interesting. Especially if there's an occasion that I really want to charge it during daylight hours.

Comment

No additional breaker needed and you can charge your EV directly from your solar panels.
          Technically any EVSE that is pulling less power than that being produced by the panels at that moment is charging your EV directly from solar.

The full integration and no need for extra breaker and wiring is really nice, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kendalf View Post

Technically any EVSE that is pulling less power than that being produced by the panels at that moment is charging your EV directly from solar.

The full integration and no need for extra breaker and wiring is really nice, however.
            It can charge at higher rate than other similar chargers as it does not have to limit to the breaker
            it can also be monitored and controlled. By smart phone and browser
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Kendalf View Post
              Technically any EVSE that is pulling less power than that being produced by the panels at that moment is charging
              your EV directly from solar. The full integration and no need for extra breaker and wiring is really nice, however.
              That is all around more efficient. Except, you can only drive at night. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Finally had a clear day when I was home to run the experiment to see if there is any production benefit from cooling down the inverter temp with fans. As expected, there was no noticeable impact, at least within the conditions that I could test. What I did was leave my fans off until right about the peak production point of the day, when the panel power production just started to decrease. I then plugged the fans back in to see if there was visible production gain (either increase or longer plateau) when the inverter temperature dropped.

Here's the production and temp chart for the test. Ambient temperatures were around 90 F, and inverter hit a peak temp of 160.5 F @ 1PM before the fans were plugged in, and temp was down to 142.5 F by 1:20PM:
                chart.png

For comparison, here is the chart for the day before, with pretty much similar conditions, with my normal fan profile (peak temp about 139 F):
                chart (2).png

If you're interested in seeing the raw data, here is the Sheet with side by side comparison: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Basically, if there is any production benefit, it is too slight to be visible within my control conditions.

Comment

Working...
                X