X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeInRialto
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by 12CV2
    The first question almost all companies asked was "So how far along are you in the process..." My response would usually be that I'm in the process of getting quotes from many companies hoping that would motivate them to come in with a lower initial bid. That mistake would result in some really high quotes >$4.5/W for non-sunpower panels. All companies around here seem to know what others give as first bids and nobody is willing to come in too low at first.

What I should have said is..."I've been on Solarpanel talk, let's start at <$3.90" I think a third of the companies would have hung up right there.

Sad to say that the most pleasant people to deal with were all the ones pitching Sunpower @>$5/W or the non-sunpower at >$4.5/W.
    I think that approach might work. One big company told me what their lowest price was andi never heard back from them after that. The installer that I went with came out for a deposit after less than a 10 min conversation of me telling him what equipment I wanted installed, he gave me a price, I then asked if he could do what I in mind - it was simple. Needless to say this company has gotten several referrals who in turn are happy to refer others.

Another big company called me back, I gave them the price I was getting, the guy told me he'd check with higher-ups to see if they could match or beat - never heard back. And they were going to use cheaper panels.

Comment

• oilerlord
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by MARKSDCA
      I'm attempting for better or worse to cut out the middle man and do most of the shopping/buying myself. If you can get somebody to do the plans to the point where the permits are approved....the rest is just shopping and finding an installer that is able to moonlight on evenings/weekends to pick up a few extra grand. I have scored some radical great deals on panels and the inverter by power shopping it.
      +1

I think a lot of installers make a killing by selling the "trust me / turn-key" solution, with the homeowner's only being involved in flipping the switch when it's all installed. Not that there's anything wrong with leaving everything to the professionals but doing some of your own research will help you understand what's being quoted, and where you're money's being spent. IMHO, it's the wild west out there and a lot of installers have no qualms about using your inexperience to their advantage.
      oilerlord's 9.23kW Plant

Comment

• jd31
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by MARKSDCA
        I'm attempting for better or worse to cut out the middle man and do most of the shopping/buying myself. If you can get somebody to do the plans to the point where the permits are approved....the rest is just shopping and finding an installer that is able to moonlight on evenings/weekends to pick up a few extra grand. I have scored some radical great deals on panels and the inverter by power shopping it.
        Did you get actual quotes for the install at $3K or are you estimating it? If so, that's a great deal.

Comment

• Mb190e
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2014

The installer I went with in upstate New York gave me a price of $3.76 a watt right out of the gate, no playing price games. His installation and work ethic was top-notch. upfront and straight shooter about everything from start to finish.

Comment

• jlovinger
            • May 2015

Originally posted by GaryS1964
            I say "mythical" because I have gotten six bids and all are over $4.30/watt. I live in the Sacramento, CA area. The cost of the systems on a per watt basis range from a high of $4.59/watt with Sunpower panels to a low of $4.31/watt with Canadian Solar panels. I don't want to put junk on my roof and I want to go with a panel manufacturer and contractor who have a proven track record of dependable and quality work and who was here before the solar boom and will be here after the solar bust.

I would love to hear from anyone in the Sacramento, CA area or Northern California area who has come close to the $3.50/watt standard and find out what panels, inverters, etc. they used and who their contractor was.
            I've been gathering quotes in Sacramento with best around $3.90 for a 4.5-5KW install and $3.70 for a 6.5+KW install. Haven't decided yet as I'm waiting for some final quotes to trickle in. Any update on where you landed?

Comment

• donald
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2015

So how are prices half in Australia? They do have lower panel prices. But I don't understand the huge difference. Germany is said to be much lower too, although I don't know their prices. There's just no way Germans are "cutting corners" on the quality of the installation's.

Comment

• scrippsbruin96
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by HX_Guy
                Amazing how much more expensive California solar is. Here in AZ we are doing cash purchase deals at $3.10/watt installed.
                It just depends on who you go with here in CA. I got a quote from Sungevity at $4.2/watt. I went directly to their subcontractor and went with them for $3/watt.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by scrippsbruin96
                  It just depends on who you go with here in CA. I got a quote from Sungevity at $4.2/watt. I went directly to their subcontractor and went with them for $3/watt.
                  An example of playing heads' up ball. A little follow up and due diligence also helps the quality of the job.

Comment

• Riverside Solar
                    Banned
                    • May 2015

I imagine prices vary

I imagine prices vary due to local reasons. If Australia and Germany are half of CA prices Arizona is 40 or 50 cents less and Northern California is 40 or 50 cents higher than southern CA it seems reasonable that some local conditions perhaps wages, insurance, or permits account for the difference. Or we could just say that business owners Northern California are more greedy and people are more gullible than those in Southern CA. In turn the people in So CA are more gullible than those in Az and the business owners are less greedy than No CA but more greedy than AZ. Which finally leads us to the least greedy business owners are over seas and the best negotiators happen to live there too.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Riverside Solar
                      I imagine prices vary due to local reasons. If Australia and Germany are half of CA prices Arizona is 40 or 50 cents less and Northern California is 40 or 50 cents higher than southern CA it seems reasonable that some local conditions perhaps wages, insurance, or permits account for the difference. Or we could just say that business owners Northern California are more greedy and people are more gullible than those in Southern CA. In turn the people in So CA are more gullible than those in Az and the business owners are less greedy than No CA but more greedy than AZ. Which finally leads us to the least greedy business owners are over seas and the best negotiators happen to live there too.
                      Sounds like one plausible way to look at it.

Comment

• donald
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2015

I wonder, if in some U.S. markets, companies are looking at a the limited number of installs they can be doing before the end of 2016 and the tax credit end. Perhaps companies are not expanding. Perhaps new companies are not being formed. So perhaps supply is constrained.

I don't know what "greedy" means. All companies charge what the market will bear.

Comment

• Ian S
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2011

California wages are some 11% higher than the national average while Arizona's are around 7% lower. That's a big difference and could account for a lot of the price differential as opposed to simply installer greed.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by donald
                            I wonder, if in some U.S. markets, companies are looking at a the limited number of installs they can be doing before the end of 2016 and the tax credit end. Perhaps companies are not expanding. Perhaps new companies are not being formed. So perhaps supply is constrained.

I don't know what "greedy" means. All companies charge what the market will bear.
                            And pay no more than the labor market and labor supply dictate. More supply and demand.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ian S
                              California wages are some 11% higher than the national average while Arizona's are around 7% lower. That's a big difference and could account for a lot of the price differential as opposed to simply installer greed.
                              Probably. I'd also add the cost of permitting and code enforcement, not that I think it leads to "better" systems.

Comment

• solar pete
                                Administrator
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by donald
                                So how are prices half in Australia? They do have lower panel prices. But I don't understand the huge difference. Germany is said to be much lower too, although I don't know their prices. There's just no way Germans are "cutting corners" on the quality of the installation's.
                                Howdy,

I think its got a lot to do with more uniform regulations around our states. We only have 6 states and regs are very similar. Getting the paperwork to install is straightforward online process and in most cases are approved straight away. The other thing i think are our roofs, no snow here in Adelaide ever, most roofs are metal what we call colourbond roof, is way easy and fast to install on. Some of our best install crews can do 2 x 5kW installs in a day provided they can start early and jobs are close to each other

Comment

Working...