X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pennguy
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by crxvfr
    I have noticed this. Does this notion saturate the entire solar power community or have I just been lucky? I want to do what I can, and so far, nobody has answered the questions I have directly, rather they go in a different (the same) direction and basically tell me all the reasons why it will not work.

Different people have different situations and different needs. Just because they are not willing to spend tens of thousands is no reason to discourage them or chase them away. I think I can get to where I want to be under $5000. ...not off the grid, but not dependent on the electric company to light my house or run my laptop, clocks, modem, router, etc. I'm intentionally building my systems separately. One to run small stuff and one for power tools which would only be run every now and then. That, albeit cold showers and a cook stove, and I could get by without the electric company.
    As you see I was a bit angry with the person whom I was reffering to who was the cause of discouragment but I have come to realize that this person is much more informed about the cituation then I. As he claims he is an electrical ingineer and is in the forefront of it all [more than me I should say] so as far as his sarcasm used in his post is just to point out the facts in his unique way not because he doesn't know what he is saying. So I guess what I am trying to say is...disregard my angry post challanging his views because he is right and I was wrong. Solar energy [off grid] as of today is acheived only by the wealthy. Since they [first of all] can afford to go solar without installing them by credit meaning they can pay for it upfront second you must then deal with the outragouse volume of batteries you must buy to run the entire house and how long they would last to even consider purchacing them if it is worth it. The answer is we can't afford it! However as my signiture states I find the solar panels cool to run a few things around the house but not to run the entire household.
    I had a change of heart about going solar because I had an eye opening debate with someone and he won! LOL!!

I wouldn't leave it altogether though, only use is it for charging up battery operated tools or to light up a shed or if I am going camping. I think solar panels are cool to have but not to run an entire house, it's not worth the money!

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

One should not come to a site dedicated to the technical side of solar and doing it in a safe and long lasting manner and expect 'eye candy' and support in what we do not think is good practice, safe, long term etc.

Of course it can be done cheap - there are many sites where for 200 USD you can eliminate the power company - or so they say. Building your own panels - of course it can be done and a few even do it and well - the other 98% less so.

I get irritated at the green sites where someone is pushing a perpetual motion machine and the replies are, 'neat', 'why hasn't someone thought of this before', 'great idea'. Then they get upset and call you negative when you point out it is a scam.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Pennguy sees where we are coming from - after we had a bit of a rough start.

I would love to install a PV system but here we 1) have none of the credits , net metering, 2) we pay import duty on this kind of stuff plus sales tax. Competetion makes things as cheap as possible in the US. Most places it is a bad word. In Europe they have no desire for it at all - screw the customer down tight as best possible seems to be the motto. Please note that not all individuals are that way but governments tend to be.

We have sun more or less equal to LA - the smog we have comes from Europe (they just export it free of charge) - Most homes will have solar water heaters but none have PV.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Pennguy
          • Jun 2010

Yes russ I saw the light! But it didn't come by way of solar energy but verbal wattage LOL!!!
          I had a change of heart about going solar because I had an eye opening debate with someone and he won! LOL!!

I wouldn't leave it altogether though, only use is it for charging up battery operated tools or to light up a shed or if I am going camping. I think solar panels are cool to have but not to run an entire house, it's not worth the money!

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

That 'verbal wattage' is a lot easier to generate unfortunately - if PV power were only so easy we would be on to something!
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• crxvfr
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by russ
              That 'verbal wattage' is a lot easier to generate unfortunately - if PV power were only so easy we would be on to something!
              New here, but wouldn't that be wind energy?

Edit Add:
              As far as not getting far, answers people get vs people willing and wanting to learn, look at THIS page and note the replies vs. the views

Comment

• Pennguy
                • Jun 2010

LOL! Yes I guess it would be.

Comment

• tbone56
                  • Oct 2010

Kudos to you Pennguy for that bit of self-observation. That is very difficult for a lot of us.
                  I have been perusing this forum because I am also interested in the potential for solar energy.
                  I have read the eye-opening calculations that SunKing and Mike so freely supply to the rest of us.
                  Not having the courage to put all my ideas on this site, I must acknowledge you Pennguy for doing that.
                  Thanks.

And thanks to you Sunking for providing me with the knowledge to know my limitations!

Comment

• Shapath
                    • Oct 2010

Thanks

Thanks a lot to Sunking for the wonderful detailed information.
                    Now i am requesting you to provide you more detailed information on Charge Controller and Inverters.
                    How did u determine the 130A charge current?
                    For inverter, 1000W load @ 100% duty cycle why it is 1500W?? I think it should be 2KW.

Again thanks a lot for all the information. You really helped me a lot.

With best regards,
                    [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="blue"]Shapath[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="lime"][QUOTE]We must be the change we wish to see in the world - Gandhi[/QUOTE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Shapath
                      How did u determine the 130A charge current?
                      Panel wattage divided by battery voltage

Originally posted by Shapath
                      For inverter, 1000W load @ 100% duty cycle why it is 1500W?? I think it should be 2KW.
                      Depends on the type of load being resistive or reactive. 150% for resistive, up to 400% with reactive loads. Basically I guessed resistive load.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• desertsun
                        • Oct 2010

For home power with a wide mix of loads, reactive and resistive, you should probably use an stronger inverter like the SMA 5000. Sun Electronics in Phoenix carries that for $2798, along with a variety of panels with prices per watt down to $1.20.
                        New and used solar panels, inverters, charge controllers, complete solar system kits at wholesale prices. We have best prices in solar panels.

Good luck with your new system!

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Arizona Wind-Sun, also has a good selection of inverters, on and off grid

been in biz for for 30 years, and have tech help for before and after sales.

If you need 120/240V split phase for any appliances, you should look into the Xantrex lines.
                          Last edited by Mike90250; 10-25-2010, 01:03 PM.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Shapath
                            • Oct 2010

Thanks

Originally posted by Sunking

Depends on the type of load being resistive or reactive. 150% for resistive, up to 400% with reactive loads. Basically I guessed resistive load.
                            thanks a lot...
                            [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="blue"]Shapath[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="lime"][QUOTE]We must be the change we wish to see in the world - Gandhi[/QUOTE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...