X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thethingx
    • Apr 2015

If you would be so kind to PM your install info that would be much appreciated.

Comment

• nomar116
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by jd31
      I signed my contract today. I upgraded to the LG280 panels for an extra $.02/watt, which added a benign $200 to my total cost. I also financed 30% of the project at 0% for 1 year. I figured why not.

Excited. I've been wanting to go solar since my last home and I'm one step closer. Hoping to add an electric car in the future. I will update the thread with the install experience.
      JD, I would also be interested in knowing who you went with. Seems like a great price and I'll try to follow it closely. I'm located in Central CA and having trouble finding anyone who I feel like I can trust.

Comment

• LLN
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by nomar116
        JD, I would also be interested in knowing who you went with. Seems like a great price and I'll try to follow it closely. I'm located in Central CA and having trouble finding anyone who I feel like I can trust.

I also live in San Diego and recently started getting quotes for solar, can you please PM the installer info. Thanks

Comment

• jd31
          • Nov 2014

I finished my install in early June and passed city inspection on June 12th, but I'm still waiting for SDGE's OK to turn it on. Apparently they never received the release form from Poway, yet Poway says they sent it twice. Someone dropped the ball

Aside from that, the install looks great. The installer (also roofing company) replaced about half of my roof, the conduit is hardly visible form the street (ran through attitic) and where it is visible it color matched to my house and trim. I'll post some pictures in the next day or so.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

I finished my install in early June and passed city inspection on June 12th, but I'm still waiting for SDGE's OK to turn it on. Apparently they never received the release form from Poway, yet Poway says they sent it twice. Someone dropped the ball

Aside from that, the install looks great. The installer (also roofing company) replaced about half of my roof, the conduit is hardly visible form the street (ran through attitic) and where it is visible it color matched to my house and trim. I'll post some pictures in the next day or so.
            My experience is the power co will deliberately stall, esp this season. Bruce Roe

Comment

• jd31
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
              My experience is the power co will deliberately stall, esp this season. Bruce Roe
              Yep, totally agree. It took them 2 weeks to receive/find the release that the city sent multiple times, and now it'll take up to another 2 weeks for them to complete their inspection. I wonder if private utilities on average take longer than public utilities to complete this last validation step...

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Yep, totally agree. It took them 2 weeks to receive/find the release that the city sent multiple times, and now it'll take up to another 2 weeks for them to complete their inspection. I wonder if private utilities on average take longer than public utilities to complete this last validation step...
                Maybe it is past history by now, but the county inspector reviewed/signed off on my sys. a few days after notification/appt. by vendor. Knowing SDG & E has no incentive to act, I called them after inspection and enquired in a friendly way. I got the "we're swamped, etc. I thanked them and called the next day w/same enquiry. My PTO arrived the next day. Several neighbors report similar circumstances. Proactive and firm but friendly worked for me.

Comment

• thenewb
                  • Jun 2015

Hi jd, would you be so kind as the PM who you went with as well? Your system is coming in below quotes that I'm getting.

Cheers!

Comment

• genesmasher
                    • Jun 2015

I would also appreciate if you could PM me your installer info. Thanks a lot.

Comment

• jd31
                      • Nov 2014

I just got the authorization from SDG&E to operate my PV system! Cool.

Comment

• thenewb
                        • Jun 2015

jd, thanks for the PM. I can't PM you back yet (not enough posts).

Cheers!

Comment

• Vintess
                          • Feb 2016

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any info. I am planning on installing a 6kw system in the very near future. My concern, as others have posted also, is how the installers are going to mount the brackets/anchors for the panels to my cement Spanish S roof tiles. I have read the relevant posts on this forum and have decided to go with an installer that will NOT replace my tiles with composite (asphalt) tiles/sheet material under the panels. I plan on getting a minimum of 3 bids from installers that will use some sort of flashing on the mounts (preferably attached to the rafters. I would appreciate any feedback from members who have had a local SD installer install their system on a similar roof. I know that forum members are prohibited from using installer business names on the forum. Therefore, it is perfectly okay to PM me with referral installers in the area who have done such installations. Please understand that I will be unable to reply with a "thank you," since I do not yet have enough posts. But all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Vintess
                            Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any info. I am planning on installing a 6kw system in the very near future. My concern, as others have posted also, is how the installers are going to mount the brackets/anchors for the panels to my cement Spanish S roof tiles. I have read the relevant posts on this forum and have decided to go with an installer that will NOT replace my tiles with composite (asphalt) tiles/sheet material under the panels. I plan on getting a minimum of 3 bids from installers that will use some sort of flashing on the mounts (preferably attached to the rafters. I would appreciate any feedback from members who have had a local SD installer install their system on a similar roof. I know that forum members are prohibited from using installer business names on the forum. Therefore, it is perfectly okay to PM me with referral installers in the area who have done such installations. Please understand that I will be unable to reply with a "thank you," since I do not yet have enough posts. But all replies will be greatly appreciated.
                            PM's are unavailable. Talk to management.

IMO, very wise choice about no comp. shingles. There are brackets and other mounting systems that can be used on mission and other tile. At the end of the day, a roof being the last place to cheap out, I used posts and double flashed all of them. If you've read all the posts where we went at it hammer/tongs about this issue, you'll know a lot of the pros/cons. Several vendors in S. D. are pissed at me for disallowing concrete or mission tile replacement with comp. shingles in my HOA, but they don't do it here, and won't. SolarCity bitched the most and had to remove a job. A couple other well known local vendors, one of them highly respected bitched, but conformed.

BTW, don't know if you're in an HOA, but in spite of the B.S. you may hear from some vendors, the CA Solar Rights Act does allow HOAs to mandate roof treatments, and FWIW, review and approve solar energy systems. There are limits to what HOAs can mandate in terms of the incurred extra expense or performance decrements to the solar energy portion of a job.

Comment

• Willaby
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                              IMO, very wise choice about no comp. shingles. There are brackets and other mounting systems that can be used on mission and other tile. At the end of the day, a roof being the last place to cheap out, I used posts and double flashed all of them. If you've read all the posts where we went at it hammer/tongs about this issue, you'll know a lot of the pros/cons. Several vendors in S. D. are pissed at me for disallowing concrete or mission tile replacement with comp. shingles in my HOA, but they don't do it here, and won't. SolarCity bitched the most and had to remove a job. A couple other well known local vendors, one of them highly respected bitched, but conformed.

BTW, don't know if you're in an HOA, but in spite of the B.S. you may hear from some vendors, the CA Solar Rights Act does allow HOAs to mandate roof treatments, and FWIW, review and approve solar energy systems. There are limits to what HOAs can mandate in terms of the incurred extra expense or performance decrements to the solar energy portion of a job.
                              That's too bad that some HOA dictators get to make this policy, even challenging professional installers, claiming they know best, the so-called "resident expert", especially since the homeowner is willing to pay extra for the improved aesthetics. Removing tile and laying roll asphalt is the optimum mounting method for cement & spanish "S" tile type roofs. The asphalt is laid from the ridge top (important) to the eve and two feet beyond the sides of the array profile. The entire array is flush mounted and then the full perimeter is flashed. The asphalt life, normally 20-30 years, is doubled plus as it is completely covered by the panels. The "S" tile is then reinstalled to within an inch of the outer panels. Benefits are obviously aesthetic as they are flush, no stanchions to fail or leak, no build-up of debris (animal or foliage, etc) underneath that is hard to get to, and elimination of wind loading as a concern. Only drawback is the cost, around $6-8 per square foot or ~40c/watt.

I researched it with my installer and a local roofing company, but backed out due to cost and because my array is not visible anyway, but now wish I'd have done it. It just looks so much better, as if integrated with the roof. Oh, and how do you know it is the proven, best way? Well, that's how new construction solar is installed: same roof type, same panels, same structure, just flush-mounted over asphalt right from the start.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Willaby
                                Removing tile and laying roll asphalt is the optimum mounting method for cement & spanish "S" tile type roofs. The asphalt is laid from the ridge top (important) to the eve and two feet beyond the sides of the array profile. The entire array is flush mounted and then the full perimeter is flashed. The asphalt life, normally 20-30 years, is doubled plus as it is completely covered by the panels. The "S" tile is then reinstalled to within an inch of the outer panels. Benefits are obviously aesthetic as they are flush, no stanchions to fail or leak, no build-up of debris (animal or foliage, etc) underneath that is hard to get to, and elimination of wind loading as a concern. Only drawback is the cost, around $6-8 per square foot or ~40c/watt.

This is your opinion.
                                Comp outs have higher temperatures and thus lower performance. You end up with considerably more water and debree under the tiles particularly the lower tiles.
                                Role asphalt is not really appropriate for this use either (generally for low slope), and role asphalt roofing generally comes with a 10 year warranty or less.
                                Often the installers cheap out on the flashing as well.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...