X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HX_Guy
    Yeah tell me about it. That actually would have been a good way to in my opinion and what I've read from other people's first hand experience, including someone who does installs here in AZ.

I just ordered 48 of them actually for the remainder of the system. As for what's already there, I'll add those Master Flash flashings and I'll hope for the best.
    With the radiant barriers in there, it will be tough to tell if it is leaking our not. i guess if you ever sell, that could help you out.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• sdold
      • Jun 2014

I meant to mention this earlier, but I had good luck with an electronic studfinder in locating the rafters, so you might be able to confirm some of the placements if you don't try to use it too close to the screws.

Comment

• control4userguy
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Sounds like this whole thread could be moved to the DIY Solar Panels section of the forum...

Comment

• HX_Guy
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Just put an order in for the Quick Mount PV universal tile mount to redo the whole system. Kept going back and forth trying to convince myself that they way they did it would be "just fine" but I knew it really wasn't the right way. It'll take a little longer to do and it's quite a bit more expensive, but everyone I talked to from 3 different roofers to a couple of solar installers to everyone here all pretty much said "Oh boy" when they heard about the hanger bolts and saw pictures.

Comment

• Bikerscum
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

Congratulations. I understand your initial hesitation but you're doing the right thing. Really.
            6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bikerscum
              Congratulations. I understand your initial hesitation but you're doing the right thing. Really.
              FWIW, BIG +++1.

Good Luck.

Comment

• Alisobob
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                FWIW, BIG +++1.

Good Luck.

Comment

• JCP
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Mar 2014

Better to suck it up now and fix it for good. I've made similar mistakes in the past. I've learned.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

Yeah, every time I've half-assed something I've ended up regretting it. Those hanger bolts seem to fragil and flexible, it's scary. Can you imagine then snapping in a big storm and the panels sliding off the roof!

I feel much better about the Quick Mount PV mounts, seems very sturdy. There's a total of 102 mounts, it's going to be quite the project to get them all installed. Going to use the 3 course method for the flashing.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Can anyone confirm here? It looks like another violation, he used the wrong wire on the rooftop?

I was reading this site earlier talking about wiring and it said that in conduit, THWN-2 wire is to be used, which he did. But then for wire up on the roof, that is not in conduit, USE-2 or PV wire should be used...and specifically not THWN-2 wire because it's not UV resistant. The permit also shows the same need for USE-2 wire.

Comment

• Living Large
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2014

I didn't see it - are you having the installer do the re-work, another installer, DIY? I am guessing the first, because it sounded like the job isn't totally complete.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

I'm trying to work with the original installer to finish the job, but to finish it the right way. I don't want any "this should probably be ok" kind of stuff. We'll see how it goes though, I don't have a lot of faith in it going well. He said this is the most difficult job and I'm the most difficult customer he's had in 20 years of construction...I guess just for asking to do things the right way and follow the approved permit?

On another note, I drove by 9 homes within my neighborhood that have solar installed (and this is a new neighborhood, first houses built about 2 years ago, all homes have tile roofs). I cried a little on the inside when I saw their pristine installs. Out of the 9, I was actually surprised to see 1 actually had the bolt-through-the-tile like how mine was done, though maybe they used TileTrac and not just a hanger bolt. The other 8 though were all either with aluminum standoffs or with tile hooks. I was also surprised though that none seems to have flashing over the tile, at least not that I could see from the street. I wonder if they placed the flashing under the tile but above the subflashing, according to QuickMount that is acceptable as well.

A few pictures of some of the installs...

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

I'm trying to work with the original installer to finish the job, but to finish it the right way. I don't want any "this should probably be ok" kind of stuff. We'll see how it goes though, I don't have a lot of faith in it going well. He said this is the most difficult job and I'm the most difficult customer he's had in 20 years of construction...I guess just for asking to do things the right way and follow the approved permit?

On another note, I drove by 9 homes within my neighborhood that have solar installed (and this is a new neighborhood, first houses built about 2 years ago, all homes have tile roofs). I cried a little on the inside when I saw their pristine installs. Out of the 9, I was actually surprised to see 1 actually had the bolt-through-the-tile like how mine was done, though maybe they used TileTrac and not just a hanger bolt. The other 8 though were all either with aluminum standoffs or with tile hooks. I was also surprised though that none seems to have flashing over the tile, at least not that I could see from the street. I wonder if they placed the flashing under the tile but above the subflashing, according to QuickMount that is acceptable as well.

A few pictures of some of the installs...

Interesting to see that 3 of those installations did not have the Inverter outside close to the meter. Only the last one shows the Inverter outside like yours.

I hope this all works out for you.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                              Interesting to see that 3 of those installations did not have the Inverter outside close to the meter. Only the last one shows the Inverter outside like yours.

I hope this all works out for you.
                              Yeah I think most people put them inside the garage if they are going to be in direct sun, but with mine being on a north wall, I thought outside would be better.

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Yeah I think most people put them inside the garage if they are going to be in direct sun, but with mine being on a north wall, I thought outside would be better.
                                Makes sense keeping the inverter out of the hot sun. Yours should be ok on the North side.

Comment

Working...